VICTORIA COTTAGE IN WESTERN VA

Started by highlandva, July 05, 2013, 11:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Josh you making good time on your build.  I sort of lost track with your progress.  At that rate you will be excepting visitors come Maple Festival Time. ;)

highlandva

John,
I hope that to be the case.  I did have 4 guys helping and that certainly speeds things up.  Now will be the hard part, moving to the inside work and keeping the project moving forward. 

highlandva

House is now in the dry :)  I am finally getting around to posting pics from the last few weeks.  From my previous post, I wanted to show that I now have all my rafter ties in and extra nails in the collar ties:

This is looking into the Master bedroom where rafter ties were also put on every rafter:

The house has been wrapped, the synthetic roof underlayment and windows and doors.  We still need to pour the small cement floor in the basement, so this door was not yet installed.  In the master Bedroom I put one single window on the end wall and a double on the long wall looking out over the valley:

Living room with sliding glass door that will go out to the deck, can't wait to enjoy that ;)

Exterior shots:

I decided to "A" frame the mud room instead of doing a shed rood as I was originally thinking.  I had to offset the upstairs window, but I am glad I went with this and think it turned out great on the Victoria:

On the kitchen bump out I am going to extend rafters for a covered porch in that section of the deck.  Getting some deck posts set for that portion is the next step.  Once this is done, I will install the red metal roof.  I hope to have this done by the end of November ;D 

ChuckinVa

I would love to see an update on this project to see how it finished out.

CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

mandobaron

Likewise! Updates please! Looks great so far!

Thanks,
Baron

highlandva

Baron & Chuck,
I will try to get some updated pics up tonight or tomorrow.  It was a very cold hard winter and we really didn't get started back until a few weeks ago.  More road work and stone, wow my budget has been blown on that :-\. We have most of electric in and metal roof completed. Starting the deck and Hardipanel siding this week.  Thanks for following my build.  I will tell you that I really can't wait for the outside to be completed :)

highlandva

Time for an update, been way too long ???  Here is some of the work I began this spring.  I have finalized the dam for our spring water and now just need to fill it in with gravel, plastic, and top soil. 

It is now hooked up to the water line which flows into a 500 gallon tank that has a pump in it.  The tank is full and water nicely flowing out of the overflow [cool]
I also have been working on building the interior walls.  Here is the bathroom wall that will be the shower and also tuck the refrigerator in on the kitchen side. 

Looking in at the shower here, I am going with a tiled stall type shower, no tub to save on space. 

Bathroom vanity and on the back side is where the refrigerator will sit. 

Now to the upstairs to begin separating the space.  I am going with two bedrooms and a half bath.  This space was much bigger than I imagined it would be when we started.  It should have one smaller bedroom that will easily fit a double bed and then the other bedroom could fit 2 beds, probably a queen and double.  The original plans did not have a bath upstairs but I have decided a 1/2 bath. 

The small bedroom wall being constructed:

Each bedroom will have a closet that I will customize and build my own barn like doors.  With the knee wall construction and 12/12 roof pitch it will not fit a standard door, but has plenty of room.

The closet and bathroom wall

You can get a better feel here for the closet shape.  I will put a wall in the middle so it will split into one for each of the bedrooms.

Looking up the stairs to the smaller bedroom

highlandva

Okay, can you imagine that plans change along the way as you build ;D  We decided to add central heat and air to the Victoria which was after we got it under temporary roof.  Most of the duct work will be ran in the crawl space for the first floor.  The second floor is what was going to need some boxes built to make it work. 

Here is one that will service the smaller bedroom upstairs.  We ran this up inside the master bedroom.  It will be in a closet to hide most of it and then I will box in above the closet. 

Here is the other one that will service the second bedroom.  We put it in the corner of the living room.  The box I will build will be about 8" directly in the corner.  It will actually work out OK as I will hang a flat screen on it or nearby and use box to run wires to the TV.

Air return box built and added under the stairs:

Electric is close to being completed.  Most of the boxes are set and wires ran to the panel box.

Can lights

110' of schedule 40 electrical conduit to bring the power from the pole to the house, getting close to having electric!! :)

highlandva

Time for the final grade on the house.  I will eventually put some stone on the foundation but that will be after the house is completed.  To prepare for the grading I cemented the holes in the concrete blocks that are offset for the stone.  This will be underground but I felt better with them covered up.  I also rolled on black rubber on the blocks that will be underground.

Final grading which really made the house feel like it was coming together. 

You can see with the long hard winter we had I finally started to loose some of the house wrap.  No worries, the spots have been re-wrapped and everything is fine [cool]

Looking up at the parking area

Behind the house, this catches all the water running off the mountain

highlandva

This post will get the project up to date.  The next projects are to get the red metal roof on, deck and siding.  So far the roof has been finished and skylights set.  We have started to dig the holes and set posts for the deck, more pictures on that soon. 

Ahh, the natural sunlight will be able to light up the house!

These two are in the kitchen bumpout

This one is at the top of the stairs that will give light to the landing and down

The kitchen bump out I am going to have this section of the deck covered.  I will extend rafters and put metal on that soon.

I am soooo ready to enjoy this home!  The deck will be calling my name soon.  In the next few weeks the deck and siding should be done and the electric will be hot [cool]

ChuckinVa

Thanks for the update. Things are really coming together. This will be a special place for sure.

CHUCK
ChuckinVa

highlandva

Chuck,
A special place is right, we can't wait to start enjoying this :)  Where are you located in VA and are you building or going to build?

Redoverfarm

Josh you definitely have not let any grass grow under your feet.  If you are planning on using manufactured stone on your foundation there is a place that I get mine at a fraction of the cost retail.  Let me know if you are interested.   

Did you make it to any of the maple festivities.  I didn't go over.  Like they say if you have seen it once you have seen it a thousand times.  Did however make it to the Fiddlers Convention the middle of June.   Camped behind the school.  Thought about you going up Rt 220 .

highlandva

John,
I will definitely be putting stone and will get in contact with you when I do.  I am sure though that will be one of those projects that gets done after the fact :-\  We did not go to any of the Maple festivals this year, like you said after a few times I would rather avoid the traffic :)  Glad to hear you made it to the Fiddler convention, sounds like a good time.  I have learned a lot on this project, just simply managing it and making all the things come together.  It is amazing the things you think of as you go, add-ons, mistakes, changes.  Ready to enjoy! 

highlandva

A little work that has been done over the past couple of days.  The deck is close to being ready to put deck boards down.  Unfortunately we couldn't use the Auger to dig the 14, yes 14 holes for the 6X6 posts.  We just have too much rock, large rock that takes additional sweat and blood to break up with a digging iron :(  Here is what we have so far. 

I am going to make this part of the deck out from the Kitchen a covered porch, the 6X6's were notched and will be cut to give it about a 4/12 roof pitch.  I will tie the rafters into the house rafters. 

Joists starting to be put into the hangers and secured

Hangers waiting for the joists

Also started on the first piece of James Hardie Panel.  Up close it has a cedarmill texture to it and I am going to put Batten strips every 12 inches.  I needed this first panel up so the electric company can get me POWER [cool]

I also poured the concrete pad that the AC condenser unit will sit on

I hope to have the deck completed and siding done over the next week, and also the power connected!!! 

ChuckinVa

HighlandVA,
We are over near Charlottesville, Va. We bought a 100 year old fixer upper in Nelson county about 3 years ago and that is how I came to this site. I like your plan and how you have made changes to meet your needs. Looks like the views from that deck are going to be Awesome. We are actually starting to spend some weekends at our place and get out on the river ( James) some. My family is from WV originally and my dad still has some property over in Webster county. I hope to someday build a cabin over there. When things slow down and I have time. Of course by then I will be too old to do it but that is my plan. Thanks for updating your project. I am enjoying catching up.
ChuckinVa

thevandams

hi.  I see this thread has not been updated in a while and wondered if you had any more pix and total price you spent for it?

I would love to see it.

We are toying with this model and the 1.5 story 20x30.....in north central TN. 

thanks a lot.
stacie

misspriss

Quote from: thevandams on September 20, 2015, 04:19:01 PM
hi.  I see this thread has not been updated in a while and wondered if you had any more pix and total price you spent for it?

I would love to see it.

We are toying with this model and the 1.5 story 20x30.....in north central TN. 

thanks a lot.
stacie

I would love to see an update as well, we are also toying around between the same two plans in central Arkansas!