cordless tools (drills)

Started by Redoverfarm, November 13, 2007, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

In general, I have had very good luck with the Ryobi stuff, corded and cordless, which was a real surprise to me because I thought for the price -that they couldn't hold up, but had to buy 3 drills to drill around 2500 1/4 inch holes throught 1/4 inch steel on a job and they did real good.  I had not expected them to make it but they did and still had life in them when done.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

I don't have anything bad to say about Ryobi. I have had a 10" metal cut off saw for years and it is still.....cutting off. I recently bought a corded circular saw at an auction and it must be an older one as it doesn't have the little safety thumb switch (which is always the part that fails). It also works great. I suppose if we get to liking them too much the prices will go up.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Redoverfarm

You should be glad it is broken off as they are a real pain. I once used a Skill that had the most awkward safety switch.  Spent more time trying to get the thing going that I could have almost used a hand saw faster.  My Makita doesn't have one.  I really like it.  It does have an electric brake which is good in my opinion.  I did have a Ryobi cordless drill that I liked but It slid off the roof when I was working on my dormers.  The batteries were about shot then.  So the Craftman that I have was a X-mas present from my wife.  Good women but shop for your tools yourself.  No offense to the wives but they usually are not the ones that use them.

desdawg

Actually this saw was manufactured without the safety switch. Never did have one. That is why I am assuming it is an older saw. Anyway all of the saws I have had that included that switch wound up with the switch failing. We live in a society where someone is always trying to protect us against something all of the time. The worry worts are in their comfort zone. I wonder how I ever made it to this age without them.  ???
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Redoverfarm

I think they have gone overboard on a lot of things.  Yes there are accidents which were caused by poor design.  But I would say that 80-90% are human error.  They need to come up with a safety switch for stupidity.

desdawg

I think IQ testing is being replaced by common sense testing. Anyone who doesn't measure up to a minimum standard will be placed on the list for immediate uthanization.  :)

TexstarJim

I build decks for a living and a cordless drill is a must in my business.  I use the Dewalt XRP 18V and it holds up to all the abuse and neglect myself and my employees can dish out.  Quick recharge time and solid performance day by day gives it my stamp of approval.
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"