400 sq/ft footprint....

Started by tjm73, January 13, 2006, 04:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm73

I found this site just as the 200 sq/ft design contest was ending.  I read the thread with a lot of interest and found different ideas enlightening and extremely interesting.  I've been kicking this idea around for a while.  So here it is....

For fun I thought I'd post this little 'challenge' idea.  Nothing gets ideas flowing like a challenge.  Lets show what we can do with a house foot print no bigger than 400 sq/ft.  Anything else is fair game.  Multiple story, single story, cantelever rooms, anything goes.

tjm73

Here's mine to get things started.  

First floor:

Second floor:

mikeschn

tjm,

That looks pretty square and boxy. Although you've got the bases covered, I'm wondering if it has any curb appeal. It's pretty tall too!

I wonder what we could do to give it curb appeal.

Mike...

Mark_Chenail

Heres my contribution.  Long and skinny with 400 sq.ft per floor but it has 2 full baths and room to sleep 6.  And it looks mighty grand too, if I do say so myself.

mark chenail

jwv

Quotetjm,

That looks pretty square and boxy. Although you've got the bases covered, I'm wondering if it has any curb appeal. It's pretty tall too!

I like it, tjm!   [smiley=thumbsup.gif] And square and boxy is an efficient (in terms of both time and money) way to build.  As I said in another thread-you can do lots of things to add curb appeal if you just have a little imagination.

judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

tjm73

I choose the simpe square because of it's efficient use of space.  It wouldn't be too tall as the second floor has only 5' foor high walls, before the ceiling begins.

The bathroom is kicked out to provide the nessicary head room in the custom shower room.

It wasn't designed as a 'curb appeal' to be sold house plan.  Just as an idea to help get thigns started in the thread.

trish2(Guest)

For those of us close to an IKEA, they often have "sample" vignette furnished floorplans on display at their stores.  It's a good place to get ideas.    My husband and I are thinking of modifiying one of their display apartments into a rental unit.  It's one level\.18x24, with a slight bump out and will be a 1 bedroom in less than 500 sq feet.  The bedroom is designed to accomodate a king size bed. We're trying to work in a pull down bed for 'guests' somewhere in the liv/din areas.  

jwv

The bathroom is kicked out to provide the nessicary head room in the custom shower room.

tjm,

I posted a question about a shower room a while back.  http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1133712198/0#0

I'm looking for any and all ideas.

judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Mark_Chenail

Come on guys, no one else gonna take up the challenge of a 400 sqft house?
mark chenail

mikeschn

QuoteCome on guys, no one else gonna take up the challenge of a 400 sqft house?

I'm working on one for you right now... but it may take another day or two... other things get in the way!

Mike...

tjm73

Mike, I look forward to your ideas.  :D

Mark,  Thanks for the callout on the challenge.  AND.......I tweeked your design a little bit.  I really liked your idea, but thought it was missing a living area.  Living in an area where the cold comes and stays for 6 or 7 months indoor living areas are pretty importent.

I made the downstairs bathroom a 1/2 bath and opened up the downstairs bunk room into a living area.  In the master bedroom I got a little selfish and made it all one room for the bread winners of the family to enjoy.

Oppps....forgot the pic.....

Here it is..

ailsaek

How are we counting porches?  I've got a design in the works, but it really wants a porch.

mark_chenail

tjm:
Thats a nice variation and actually I have a variant of the plan in my file that has a larger living room where that bedroom is but it made the plan more than 400sq.ft.  Making a smaller bathroom was a good solution.  And the bigger master bedroom is nice too.  

mark_chenail

TJM:   Heres another plan all on one floor of 400sq.ft.  Actually 3 plans that all fit behind the same facade.  Comments.

bayviewps

Here is my contribution:

Floor Plan and View from Living to Kitchen

Cabin with eaves and gables is 14' X 32'.  Cabin could be easy moved without special permits to another location.  Bar with stools could easily be replaced with more cabinets, fireplace, etc . . .  

Kitchen / Living Room:
  - Vaulted Ceiling
  - Sofa Bed
  - Convertible Table in front of Sofa for Extra Dining
  - Wall Mounted LCD TV
  - Coat / Clothes Cabinet next to Front Door
  - Dining Bar with Stools
  - Under Counter Refrig.
  - Microwave above Cooktop
  - 4' Double Casement Windows at Sink and Dining / Bar
  - Dishwasher
  - Double Stainless Sink
  - Abundance of Cabinets
Bath:
  - 48" Walk-In Shower
  - Porcelain Sink in Custom Oak Cabinet
  - Full Size Toilet
  - Cabinets across from Toilet for 20 Gal. Water Heater and Storage
  - Electric Heat and A / C Centrally Located in Ceiling above Bath
BedRoom:
  - Vaulted Ceiling
  - Queen Bed
  - Cabinets above and alongside Bed
  - Hanging Storage at Foot of Bed  - Space in Center for TV

tjm73

QuoteHow are we counting porches?  I've got a design in the works, but it really wants a porch.

I would say that porches don't count toward the 400 sq/ft provided they aren't totally enclosed.

mikeschn

And here is my contribution...

Mike...

tjm73

mikeschn

There is, but there isn't. I haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe tonight or tomorrow morning.  ;)

Mike...

glenn-k

Did you say you were using Floorplan to draw his or something else, Mike.  It looks good -nice renderings.

mikeschn

Glenn,

Yes, I am using floor plan from Imsi. I have the registered version of 7.0; but I had to try 10 because they talked about the improved rendering. I have to agree.

It sure would be nice if they could fix the material specifications when a person exports to wrl...

Compare my renderings of the love shack to the renderings of the 400sq ft entry, and there's a world of difference. I might just go ahead and register for the upgrade.

Mike...

ailsaek

*sigh*  My entry is going great except that I sort of forgot to leave a place for a staircase.  Granted, it's an earth-bermed house, but I don't think having to go outdoors to get from the first to the second floor is going to be a very popular design option.   :-/

mikeschn

Okay, I've had some time to work on the second floor...  

Here's what I came up with...

What do you think?

I'm still learning floorplan. It's not really tough, but you have to know what commands are available. Does anyone else here use floorplan 10?

Mike...

glenn-k

Does floorplan handle exteriors - odd roof lines OK?  I don't think anything will handle my twisted ribbon roof.  rectangle 16 feet x 21 feet with opposite corners diagonally 2 at 8' and 2 at 15' rotating on a 12' axis in the 21 foot direction.  Log beams 8" diameter on 2' centers

mikeschn

Glenn,

Assuming that you're not kidding, I would have to say, "I don't know"! I really am a beginner at floorplan, in spite of how long I've owned it.

But you could definitely throw that at a decent cad program and it would handle it.

Mike...

QuoteDoes floorplan handle exteriors - odd roof lines OK?  I don't think anything will handle my twisted ribbon roof.  rectangle 16 feet x 21 feet with opposite corners diagonally 2 at 8' and 2 at 15' rotating on a 12' axis in the 21 foot direction.  Log beams 8" diameter on 2' centers