OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

got the majority of the cabin wired over the past couple weeks.
still got plenty more to wire though... then we will start plumbing, something I dread because of lack of knowledge.

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Native_NM

Your place is looking fantastic...great job!

Is your A/C unit in the window frame or did you frame it separate?  It looks like the window is up.  Just a thought - frame a rough opening for the A/C unit above the window, or to the side.  This allows the cool air to drop further, which will help with the temps.  It would be easy to do now, and you would end up with a tighter fit than the universal window mounts they use.  
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

MountainDon

Cool looking stairs.   :)

Just a note others may make use of, not a criticism.

If I am not mistaken the best order of events is...

HVAC ductwork, if any, first.
Then plumbing drain, waste, vent (DWV).
Then plumbing hot and cold supply lines.
Finally electrical wiring.

Reason: The electric lines are more flexible than the plumbing supply lines; the plumbing supply lines are more flexible than DWV (with PEX they are almost as flexible as electrical wire) and the HVAC are the least flexible of all. In most cases.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Quote from: Native_NM on July 16, 2011, 03:38:58 PM
Your place is looking fantastic...great job!

Is your A/C unit in the window frame or did you frame it separate?  It looks like the window is up.  Just a thought - frame a rough opening for the A/C unit above the window, or to the side.  This allows the cool air to drop further, which will help with the temps.  It would be easy to do now, and you would end up with a tighter fit than the universal window mounts they use.  
Thanks NM,
the AC is just sitting in the window.
the window it is sitting in is a future door to an addition. when we put on the addition we are putting in a central unit.
That definitely is a great idea though!!
Quote from: MountainDon on July 16, 2011, 04:20:54 PM
Cool looking stairs.   :)

Just a note others may make use of, not a criticism.

If I am not mistaken the best order of events is...

HVAC ductwork, if any, first.
Then plumbing drain, waste, vent (DWV).
Then plumbing hot and cold supply lines.
Finally electrical wiring.

Reason: The electric lines are more flexible than the plumbing supply lines; the plumbing supply lines are more flexible than DWV (with PEX they are almost as flexible as electrical wire) and the HVAC are the least flexible of all. In most cases.
Thanks Don,
that is good planning. we are going to use PEX for the water supply.
The stairs are a craigslist find. they are one piece stairs, so not too fun to maneuver, but very sturdy!
— Henry Ford

oifmarine

beckhamk

astidham - I have a few questions about your sisor trusses.... did you just nail them to the top plates or did you use a strongtie HTS20?   One last question about the sisor trusses - how much wiggle room did you have to work with when putting them on the top plates or are the tolerances so tight you have to be 100% spot on?

astidham

Quote from: beckhamk on July 29, 2011, 05:33:20 PM
astidham - I have a few questions about your sisor trusses.... did you just nail them to the top plates or did you use a strongtie HTS20?   One last question about the sisor trusses - how much wiggle room did you have to work with when putting them on the top plates or are the tolerances so tight you have to be 100% spot on?
I used 2x4 blocks as spacers, and toe nailed through the scissor truss into the block and top plate.
as fare as wiggle room, my trusses could be moved back and fourth across the top plates ~3".
— Henry Ford

astidham

Dad Grandpa and I installed most of the under house DWV this weekend.

— Henry Ford

beckhamk

Wow your stuff is really coming along!  BTW: on the boom lift - are you able to control that from the ground and in the bucket? and does the bucket tilt?

astidham

Quote from: beckhamk on August 02, 2011, 07:42:08 PM
Wow your stuff is really coming along!  BTW: on the boom lift - are you able to control that from the ground and in the bucket? and does the bucket tilt?
Thanks beckhamk, and yes,yes, and yes
— Henry Ford

nathan.principe

Looks great! This is the next step for me at my place, how long would you say that took you to install?  and have you installed all the vent pipe yet?

astidham

Quote from: nathan.principe on August 03, 2011, 11:31:30 AM
Looks great! This is the next step for me at my place, how long would you say that took you to install?  and have you installed all the vent pipe yet?
Thanks Nathan, i have all the vents stubbed up only.
as far as time, we have about 12-15 hours including running to the parts house multiple times for things we didn't have like 22.5s and 45s.
the actual install with good planning, all the right parts, and no surprises would have been 6-8 hrs for the under house portion of the DWV including cutting the bottom plates.
when you figure what you need materials wise, get 2 times the amount of Ts, Ys, 45s, 90s, 22.5s, and couplings than you planned for.
another thing I forgot was strap to hang the pipe with.
— Henry Ford

ScottA

Plumbing looks OK except for the tee on it's back which is a no no. I'm assuming that it's a vent for a shower or tub? I still need to see the rest.

astidham

Quote from: ScottA on August 03, 2011, 05:15:34 PM
Plumbing looks OK except for the tee on it's back which is a no no. I'm assuming that it's a vent for a shower or tub? I still need to see the rest.
it is a vent tee for the shower, Thank you for looking.
I will try to add more pics later.
— Henry Ford

astidham

We found a Claw foot tub on craigslist yesterday, we bought it today.
Its a S.S.M co. not sure how old it is, but cast on the bottom has 3 blocks that say 4 9 18.
it is in pretty good shape!

— Henry Ford

Sassy

Nice tub...  CUTE KIDS  :)  Looks like they'll enjoy taking baths in that tub.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

astidham

installed some pex, not done yet.
but here is what i got.

— Henry Ford

astidham

Ive been putting off framing the gable end, but I am close to starting the insulation so I finished the gable frame today
— Henry Ford

dug

Your project seems to be moving along really well- congratulations!

astidham

Thanks dug,
since you just recently finished your insulation, I got an estimate from a local company for R-19 in the exterior walls and R-30 in the ceiling slopes for $930.00 installed. Does that sound reasonable?
— Henry Ford

dug

Sounds really good! I paid a fair amount more than that just for material!

dug

One thing to consider- around here, most of the hired insulation work I see is very shoddy. It is almost always just laid over wiring and pipes and they never cut around boxes and such, leaving huge air voids everywhere. On a clean bay it takes almost no time to install a batt of insulation, but most of mine were not. Most of my labor time was spent cutting around stuff, splitting batts around wiring, and making sure every gap was filled.

You may want to ask them about that if it is of concern to you.

MountainDon

astidham, did you ask them if they can do R21 in the walls? The R21 is becoming more readily available here where I am. My Lowe's now carries it in place of the R19. It has the advantage of remaining the rated R21, unlike R19 which when compressed to fit the 2x6 framed wall, becomes R18.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Quote from: MountainDon on August 27, 2011, 08:32:38 PM
astidham, did you ask them if they can do R21 in the walls? The R21 is becoming more readily available here where I am. My Lowe's now carries it in place of the R19. It has the advantage of remaining the rated R21, unlike R19 which when compressed to fit the 2x6 framed wall, becomes R18.

I didn't know that Don.
I will ask before I get it installed. I hope they do have it.
— Henry Ford

astidham

Insulation is going in Tuesday!!!
— Henry Ford