cordless tools (drills)

Started by Redoverfarm, November 13, 2007, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

In the market to purchase a cordless drill. Have had Sears(2), Ryobi, an off brand and none seem to last.  Is there a preference of which type has the best track history. Somone in conversation said that Makitia has a new battery system out that outlast the others Lithium Ion something, not Nicad.  After getting only 5 minutes out of two batteries and two drills today I have had it. Normally I keep a corded drill close by but working in the sticks with no power it was useless today. Didn't drag the generator to the jobsite for 8-10 screws since the recent rain and mud road I would have ended up wrapping it around a tree on the way out.

Going to have to get an inverter to run some things off the truck occasionally. Should have already put my generator and propane tank in but I can think of a lot of other things to do with that money now since winter is closing in and it would be sitting there for 2-3 months not being used.

Yes I have a gas generator to work with but I don't leave it on site as we are not immune to thives.  

glenn-k

I gave up trying to find a good one and just went with the Ryobi because it is fairly good -- cheap and tons of batteries are pretty cheap.  I have 8 batteries and nearly all the tools I might have a use for.

I have the L-ion DeWalt and have a special place in my expensive junk shrine for it because it cost too much -- batteries are too much and don't last long enough to justify the price.

With the Ryobi - if something goes wrong I don't feel so bad because it is cheap to replace.  I cracked a bearing housing on the 5 1/4 inch circular saw after a lot of heavy use -- dropped it?  It never did quit and I just bought a replacement with a lase line marker for $59.  I am very happy with them and consider that I am getting my moneys worth from them.  Also -- they just came out with their L-ion models too with price adjusted accordingly and they will also work with the One+ set.  

I'm still sticking with Ryobi and happy.  Note that I carry an inverter and Ryobi double charger in the truck.  Batteries are recharged as used -- some require a bit of cooling time before charge if used hard.

TheWire

I got a Black & Decker Firestorm 18v tool set from Lowes for $125 (clearance).  Its got a 6.5" laser circular saw, drill, reciprocating saw, flash light and 2 batteries.  While they are not high end the tools work well.  I cross-cut about 20 PT 2x8s on one battery.  The batteries are only $20 each so I figure I'll add a couple more when I start back up on my 20'x32' in spring.  

I've had a couple more expensive battery tools only to have charger or battery fail and then have trouble finding a replacement.  I can see getting a couple years from this set and being money ahead.

peter_nap

I'm on my second Ryobi drill and saw. I'm hard on cordless tools and the first set held up well,

desdawg

I have the 18 volt Ryobi set and like that best of the others I have had. I have tried buying the cheapies and they were of poor quality and not worth owning. The Ryobi set was around $200 at Home Depot. I have three batteries and can rotate them around to the different tools without being chargeless. The set included the drill, circular saw, sawzall, sabre saw, flashlight, sander, vacuum cleaner and a flashlight. I haven't used the sander and the vacuum yet but all of the others have done everything asked. Would I buy Ryobi again? Yes.

lockman

I have a Dewalt 18v XRP and I haven't had any problems with it. The battery seems to last forever, and it only takes about 20-30 minutes to charge them. As a matter of fact, the other day I accidentally left it out on my property overnight while it rained. I went up there yesterday, and it still worked good as new. The phillips head bit had a lil rust on it, but that was it.

MountainDon

One of the big pluses of the Lithium-Ion batteries is their extremely low self discharge rate. This may be more important for tools/batteries that see irregular use. Nothing worse than picking the tool up after a couple weeks on sitting there, to find the battery dead. The extra use time the lithiums are supposed to offer iis nice as well.

runtime is supposed to be 2x better than NiCad
shelf life charge is supposed to be 4x better than NiCad
and lighter weight as well, 20% lighter
...according to Ryobi

The fact that Ryobi thought enough of it's existing ownership to make the new batteries backwards tool compatible is a good reason itself to consider buying them.

glenn-k

The new chargers will charge both the new L-ions and the old standard batteries.

MountainDon

And my local HD now has one less ONE+ Lithium drill kit (w/ 2 batteries) in stock.  :) :) 

I have no other cordless Ryobi products at present (tho' I do have several corded Ryobi tools) and my old Makita's batteries are dieing (or have died)  :'(  Plus there's some duct tape and epoxy holding some drop damage together.

glenn-k

Is the one you have the straight drill and clutch screw driver or does it have the hammer drill function too?  It works pretty good in concrete up to 1/4 inch which is what I use to put 3 nails in at once for cheap concrete anchors.  Used my Ryobi hammer drill quite a bit for that.

glenn-k

...and  - one count them -- one DeWalt battery costs about $90.

MountainDon

Not the hammer drill. I have an old Milwaukee corded hammer drill that works so well I don't mind the cord.

and Yes drill/2 Li-ion batteries/charger

tc-vt

glenn kangiser

I've run one of those - years ago.  

They did pretty good in their day- for some things. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Yep Got one. But it doesn't seem like the motor is very good quality. Gets hot and shuts down.

jb52761

I travel up to my Bro's place in Minnesota at least once a year.....he uses the cordless tools there, as I do, while helping him remodel his 120 year old home....nice place, well taken care of.....don't know the brand but I'll ask him and get back with you.....I know he has two batteries, always keeping one on charge....here's a helpful hint I discovered recently that I didn't know....I have started cutting drywall inside with a standard boxcutter/razor-blade tool....for two years I was dragging the crap outside to cut with the cordless circular saw, decided on a rainy day to mark it, draw my lines, and cut it with the box-cutter inside.....works like a charm, and no dust.....why didn't I think of that sooner....Where's Harry Potter when you need him..... ::)

Redoverfarm

jb yeah I learned that trick years ago. Just score the paper on one side and snap to break the drywall and then cut the paper on the back side.  Don't know how the new paperless drywall cuts using the same procedure.

williet

The Dewalt 18v XRP is wonderful. I've used it a great deal and never had a problem. Bought my dad on a year ago and he loves it too. The cordless jig saw is a very good tool too.

ScottA

I've been using my DeWalt 18v cordless almost daily for 3 years without any problems.

Scott

Dustin

Home Depot is going to have a sale on Black Friday (day after thanksgiving) with the Ryobi Lithium set and a smaller set of the the regular 18V tools. Might want to pick up the Sunday paper and check it out.
I'm planning on picking myself up a set...

Redoverfarm

Dustin thanks for the heads up. Make sure you take plenty of wallets(See post on Home Depot scham)

williet

Is that scam at ALL the Home Depot's?

Redoverfarm

Not real sure as I don't have any close by.  I would just take a pocketfull of wallets and make my rounds.

Rover

I don't know the geographical extent of this sale, but there was a Midnight Madness sale at Home Depot in Kitchener, Ontario.  My brother picked up Ryobi 18V set including drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, v shaped sander, flashlight, small hand vac,  laminate trimmer (mini router), impact driver, radio, 2 batteries, 1hr charger, all in a 2 wheeled carry bag.  All for $189!  What a deal!
It's going to be my Christmas gift so I don't get to see it till then.

glenn-k

That is a great deal.  The impact driver is great - I use mine for running screws and lags in quite ofteh.  It will pretty easily break a #2 Phillips bit.