Talk about extreme home makeovers

Started by Mark_Chenail, March 15, 2006, 02:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_Chenail

Saw this posted on another forum.  Marshfield is about 20 minute drive south of my place in Missouri.   That same tonado passed us about 3 miles east and went on to nail Springfield Illinois.    Amazing what you can do with a crew of men who are ready to work.  I ought to hire them to help me out for a day.

Who needs FEMA or Red Cross? Not the Amish!!!
MARSHFIELD, Mo. (AP) -- With the help of neighbors, an Amish family whose southwest Missouri home was destroyed by Sunday's storms had the house rebuilt in less than 15 hours.

More than 100 men and boys from the area's Amish community built Chris Graber's house on the same spot a twister demolished his previous home about ten miles east of Marshfield.

The tornado struck Sunday night, and Graber said that by 2:00 p.m. Monday they were mopping floors in the new home.

Debris from the old house was scattered for hundreds of yards, and two other buildings and an outhouse were blown apart. But all were rebuilt by the middle of the next day.

The Grabers were not injured. A chicken coop with 1,000 chickens in it was untouched by the tornado, and Graber's 100 calves made it through the storm, too.
__________________ ;)
mark chenail

Sassy

Wonderful story - Amazing what a close knit community can accomplish when they help each other!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

jb52761

Yup...I had to dodge that tornado too...I'm 35 miles from Springfield...we can't hear the sirens out here in the woods, so rely on the phone, t.v., and a sheriff monitor...not much help when the power goes out...it was quite a long and scary evening....and I'll add, the Amish built my neighbors garage in a day and a half... 8-)

jb52761

FYI...the aftermath of the storm Mark has mentioned....

www.wnns.com/stormphotos.htm    

glenn-k

Quite the pix, JB.  Interesting that a few buildings failed by losing the walls but not the roof - I assume they exploded from internal pressure as outside atmospheric pressure dropped from the storm.