Ideas for a lawn mower engine?

Started by Barry Broome, December 26, 2012, 10:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Broome

I have a good engine off a 22 inch push mower. The mowers deck is broke and we bought a riding mower. What can I use a 5 hp engine for? Any good ideas?
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

MountainDon

Vertical shaft I assume? 

Small generator?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

MushCreek

Make an adapter so you can attach it to the lower unit of that small outboard that died. That way, you can have a noisy, inefficient outboard motor for only twice the cost of buying a good one.

Don't ask me how I know so much about this... d*
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Barry Broome

Yes it's a vertical shaft. I did see some home made generators, that might be the best thing. I hate the just throw it away   :(
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Ernest T. Bass

You could beat me to my life's ambition and make a hovercraft.. :)

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

MountainDon

Quote from: MushCreek on December 27, 2012, 07:08:55 AM
Make an adapter so you can attach it to the lower unit of that small outboard that died. That way, you can have a noisy, inefficient outboard motor for only twice the cost of buying a good one.

Don't ask me how I know so much about this... d*

I only had my heart half in it when I made my suggestion.   ;D  I think we should all listen to that. Probably lots of projects like that around just because someone had something they could not bear to throw out.  If it's hurting too much to dump it, then freecycle it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

peternap

Quote from: UK4X4 on December 27, 2012, 10:34:22 AM

fit just right on your jon boat

I've always thought about building one of those. Looks like you need a horizontal shaft though.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

UK4X4

http://www.amazonsupply.com/andantex-anglgear-universal-mounting-diameter/dp/B00852JJKM?ref_=goo_pf_B00852JJKM

Pretty sure your local Thai boat shop has some plumbing parts to use- or get similar to the above

the drive shafts on those thai boats are usually just thiick wall plumbing pipe !

Don_P

I've got an old tiller motor in my Red Green pile I keep meaning to put on a little skid with a hydraulic pump, reservoir and quick connects. Use it for a universal power unit for a log splitter, engine hoist, winch, etc.

MountainDon

QuoteRed Green
;D ;D

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

MushCreek

'Red Green pile'.... I like that! I usually just call it my 'yard art'.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

waggin

Quote from: MushCreek on December 29, 2012, 06:35:57 AM
'Red Green pile'.... I like that! I usually just call it my 'yard art'.

I (or should I say my property?) resemble that remark!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

muldoon

Am I the only one who immediately thought go cart?

NM_Shooter

I made a portable generator for my gun club.  They had a wobble trap that was served off of batteries only, and needed a way to quickly charge or run the thing off of a generator for shoots:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5481.msg70555#msg70555

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

NM_Shooter

Quote from: NM_Shooter on January 03, 2013, 12:06:18 PM
I made a portable generator for my gun club.  They had a wobble trap that was served off of batteries only, and needed a way to quickly charge or run the thing off of a generator for shoots:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5481.msg70555#msg70555

BTW, auto alternators also don't shut off when you turn off power to the rotor.  Back emf keeps the thing producing power.  Alternators need a source of current to start working, but remove that initial current and they still keep working, so beware.  Also, put a switch on the rotor power, as this will allow you to start the motor with the charge wires hooked up to the battery.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"