Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Sassy does your Hoosier have cup casters on the bottom.  If so do you know what they are for?

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 17, 2008, 10:16:55 AM

The mirror is original but like all others of that time period the electro-plate was bad. Since it had curved corners and beveled glass I did a little improvising that my uncle told me about. I am sure you have tried it. I removed the mirror and with a little "tidy-bowl" took the remaining silver off. I went to a glass shop and bought a 1/8" mirror. Cleaned the old mirror (glass now) and then sandwiched the cheap mirror behind it in the frame. It would take a well trained eye to pick it up. The beveled curved mirror would have cost a fortune to refinish or replace.  I got it done for $6. 

Excellent tip Red  [cool], so simple most folks , me included , may never of thought of it d*
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Sassy

Mine doesn't have any cup castors.  It does have the cupboard to store flour & such that pours out from the bottom.  Our paint job wasn't too bad - we'd heard that refinishing an antique decreased its value also, so figured we'd just leave it alone - there's a lot of worn areas on the paint, but it just looks like the "shabby chic" they're selling for big prices nowadays!  Aren't the Hoosiers from Indiana, too?  (the team, I mean) so you would think ours was made there - it is built with light wood - don't know what kind & a metal pull out shelve that's handy.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on January 17, 2008, 09:23:32 PM
Excellent tip Red  ....
More hot stuff to keep track of...  ::) How will I ever manage
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

And who said " you can't teach an old dog new tricks". ;D

PEG688

Who  you callin old Red ? Mtn D ??? :)

Lastest table , the stand on it I made a couple of years ago .

In the clamps a couple of weeks ago,  :o

MountainDon

Love the clamps Paul!  :)  Table's pretty good too.  ;D ;D

Good match on the color.

Are the curved pieces shaped from solid stock?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on February 12, 2008, 01:43:00 AM

Are the curved pieces shaped from solid stock?

Thanks Mtn D.

Bent laminations on the curved parts. Cut into thin strips , glued up around a form. 

glenn kangiser

Looks like a lot of work, PEG.  You have a lot more patience than I do...but then you have a nice creation after you spend the time.  All I have is a thing I built with a chainsaw and nail gun. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on February 12, 2008, 09:54:07 AM
Bent laminations on the curved parts. Cut into thin strips , glued up around a form. 

No wonder the finish on the curves looks so nice and clean. I did a cut/shaped curve piece once and the grain didn't look right, didn't match because of the different directional slices through the wood... as compared to the flat pieces. ... you know what I mean...

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on February 12, 2008, 10:55:31 AM

No wonder the finish on the curves looks so nice and clean. I did a cut/shaped curve piece once and the grain didn't look right, didn't match because of the different directional slices through the wood... as compared to the flat pieces. ... you know what I mean...

Yes a sawn curve would go thur a variety of grain directional changes .

BTW they really like it ,

glenn kangiser

Looks like it came from a store, PEG.

Doesn't everything?

Superb work. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 12, 2008, 11:05:02 PM

Looks like it came from a store, PEG.

Doesn't everything?

Superb work. :)

Nah , way better than store bought , in fact w/o the "superb work" comment I'd have been crushed  :-[

glenn kangiser

What I meant was that it had that professional store bought look without the plastic wood picture veneered particle board.

MountainDon

gandalfthegrey

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 17, 2008, 03:26:32 PM
Sassy they were basicly the same thing. A pastry cabinet but Hoosier was one of the manufactuers as was Sellers. The Sellers were made in Indianna. Not real sure where the Hossiers were made.  I hunted a good while to find an oak one. Plenty of pine and poplar around. They usually were painted.  One section of an interior shelf on mine was painted. Hard to get 50-75 year old paint off. The rest was just clear finish that had darkened. They always say to refinish an antique ruins the value. Well there wasn't any choice on this one. The way it was Glenn would probably used it for a work bench in the shop.

I have a Seller.  My wife and I bought it 35 years ago  And it has found it's way into her sewing room.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95335585@N00/2305684605/
Bad Wolf

Redoverfarm

gandalfthegrey does yours have cup casters on the legs? If so do you know why they are there. I asked Sassy the same question but I don't think I told her why.
Is that the original finish or did you or someone else refinish it? 

glenn kangiser

Sassy

Very nice & welcome!  Ours doesn't have cup casters, just normal inch & 1/4 wheel casters... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

gandalfthegrey

Hello all,

The caster cups are to keep marks from carpets.  I have not refinished it, but at one time someone replaced one of the lower door panels in plywood.  It is made of oak.  and there is a sticker one the back showing it shipped from some where in Indiana.  I was told that most were at one time painted as was the style in the 40s.

By the way, I love this forum.  I am not much of a carpenter, but the plans here make me wish I took more of the woodworking classes in high school.  I opted for millwright which I never used.
Bad Wolf

Redoverfarm

gandalfthegrey it is never too late to start.  Might check with your local high school as they used to have "adult continuing education" in a variety of subjects including woodworking. 

As for the cup casters.  They were used to put lamp oil in to prevent the bugs from climbing up the legs and getting into the flour and sugar.  The bottom of the legs on mine were real dark about 2" up from the oil soaking into the wood over time.

glenn kangiser

How innovative -- what will they think of next? hmm

AAA-DAY

Hi everyone!  I am so enjoying the "homemade" stuff. Just wonderful to see.

Wanted to share my husbands latest creation for the cabin; an open dish rack custom sized to my existing dishes and to the spot on the wall I wanted to put it. I am in such awe of his talent, and everyone else that creates these beautiful things that have been posted. I hope people keep it coming!!  [cool]

glenn kangiser

PEG688

New furnace room pantry cabinet ,new to us furnace so from this ,

to this in a weekend ,

Built this shop air cleaner as well out of a old furnace blower, not sure how well it will work but it  better than nuttin, I built it to hang from my open ceiling / truss joist bottom chords , or to use like this when it's hot which it was today / this weekend. So it will pull warm air down in winter from the attic area and help spread the heat as well as be use to clean the air some . So dual use I hope.