raised 20x40 with garage undernaeth

Started by sinner, January 28, 2010, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinner

I just found out that my 10 acres is in a floodzone now. If I bought the two story plans could I build a garage as the bottom floor?

John Raabe

Yes, you could. You would want fireproof drywall on the ceiling (5/8" type X) and a self-closing fireproof door to the stair.

You also may want to frame the lower floor with materials that could handle a flood (PT framing?)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MikeOnBike

Quote from: John Raabe on January 28, 2010, 09:20:10 PM
You also may want to frame the lower floor with materials that could handle a flood (PT framing?)

Maybe concrete or cinder block for the first floor with a 1-story sitting on top of that.

sinner

I was thinking about using concrete blocks for the garage. But I would still want the two story on top of that but would that be to high. Maybe a little ugly. I dont know I hate this new FEMA map. The whole city is not a flood zone only my property because it has drainage ditches around it. No water even near it.

MountainDon

Have you inquired about what the flood level is? Perhaps a house built up three or so feet off the ground is all you need? In some places I know of there is a sliding scale for the flood insurance. The higher off the ground the lower the rate, up to whayever the worst case level is considered to be.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sinner

Its in a zone A which means high risk but no flood zone level because they did no research whatsoever on the property. Fema is the government I talked to the county and she is the one who told me that it would be really hard to get insurance. I guess ill talk to the neibors and see if they have ever seen it flooded before. I want to build as much as I can without a loan anyways so I dont need to buy expensive insurance I just dont want my house being ruined. No way to change the FEMA map even if its never flooded there.

rwanders

If insurance is not available or is prohibitively expensive, it may render your home (investment) very difficult to sell and, if not insured, a fire could cost you all you will have invested. It seems to be taking on a great deal of risk for little or no purpose. Perhaps you should consider finding different land to build on.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

devildog

where is your property located? Is all ofthe 10ac. low?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

JRR

Quote from: sinner on January 29, 2010, 02:18:59 PM
...... I guess ill talk to the neibors and see if they have ever seen it flooded before. .......so I dont need to buy expensive insurance ......

Talking to the neighbors is good, but talking to the local insurance folks is even better.  They may surprise you by saying the risk is not that great and insurance may not be that expensive ... and what design considerations they would like to see.

Even if you don't need a loan, you might want to reconsider a mortgage ... not a large one, just one that you can "keep around", you never pay off, for the financial benefits.  As you have equity, it makes it awfully easy to get a mortgage credit account ... for buying more land or equipment or whatever ...  you never have to really use it, its just there waiting for some opportunity to show up and you have instant access to low cost capital ... kinda like having a rich uncle ... you keep a blank check from the bank and you write it out for up to the amount you are pre-approved for.  A small-balance mortgage can make selling the house easier also.

sinner

MountainDon

Pictures need to be hosted on a web service like photobucket.com.  Once uploaded there you copy the IMG Code  tag and paste that in the message here. When the message is viewed then the image appears in the message. There is a tutorial for photobucket use under the Forum News section, but it is a bit out of date. There are also other image hosts that work, but some do not.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sinner

The land is in Scranton ks and it is pretty much level. Here is a picture

PS - Now when you modify this you can see where the image code is... John

devildog

I cant be real sure because I havent seen it with my own eyes, inthe first picture it looks as though the tree is a little higher elevation than where your taking the pic from. But sometimes pics can be deceiving.

I would borrow/rent a transit and try to find the highest point of your property and build there.

You may even find that its never flooded , nor would ever , if you ask some people who have lived around there for many years

I have a nice creek on my property. semi fast flow, beautiful sound of the water going over the rocks, peaceful. but my neighbor told me its gone over the road like a raging river twice that he knows of(he's lived there about 8 yrs). Thats about a 10ft rise! so we built about 60ft above it.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

sinner

I have not even been out there for a while. The snow is now melted but what I can remember before the snow is that it might be a small slope from the tree. That tree is also right in the middle of the property so it would be a nice place to build. Well thanks everyone Ill leave you alone now untill I decide what to do. I do appriciate all the coments. Its amazing what Ive seen on this sight.

firefox

I'm the crazy guy here so take this with a grain of salt.
Every one likes a lake or pond maybe. If you have friends that have heavy earth moving equipment, why not dig a large pond  and use the
earth to make a hill. You will need to think this through though, since
the earth won't be that well compacted. 

Maybe put some water tanks at the bottom middle of the hill, before covering, to store
hot water for heating. Mount hot water collectors on the side/top of the hill if not on the roof. less problem with weight.

Like I said, itis a little crazy, but sometimes people have access to stuff and they don't think about it. Obviously if you had to pay for it
it would cost too much, but you never know how far some kegs of beer will take you.

good luck!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824