12x16 modern manshed

Started by markert2523, May 21, 2009, 07:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markert2523

Thanks folks and I will check the local regs.

eddiescabin

Say, I'm new to this forum, but just caught up on your cool manshed project!  Looks awesome and wanted to send a big THANK YOU for your service!   Eddie

markert2523

Making progress on the manshed. 

New beam for a small bumpout to increase storage. 

Had to cut the driveway to run a trench for electric service.  While at it I added an empty 2" pvc pipe for future needs.

So--- the electric is finished and all insulation is installed.  Sheetrock being delivered this week.  After sheetrock/paint all I will have left (in a major sense, there's always more to do!!) is the floor.  The subfloor is a little uneven at the seams and I think I will lay down some laminate pad/vapor barrier and then staple down a layer of Luan plywood.  If the luan is even enough, I think I will stain/poly it and live with it for a while.

Also I need to install the minisplit heat pump but the purchase/install cost will be about $1500.  I'm thinking I might just install a small $150 8,000 btu window unit in the back wall and be happy for a while.  Heat is not much of a problem as a small space heater seems to keep it warm enough now that the insulation is in. 

Oh well, that's the update.  Any comments on the floor, ac unit or anything else.

Thanks

Eric

Bishopknight

Looks great Eric. I like the windows and slant style roof. I almost considered that roof style for my house but was worried about all the runoff water going against the berm.

Glad you made it back from Iraq safe. Keep the pics coming!

RainDog

I love this project. Real surprising not to see more smart little structures like this goin' up. Keep the pics comin' as you go!

And thanks, y'know, for everything.
NE OK

markert2523

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Sheetrock going up!

matt3291

Quote from: markert2523 on February 26, 2010, 07:30:16 AM
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Sheetrock going up!

Hi Eric this is Matt from Iraq, glad to see your working on the shed again, looks great!
The last time I saw you we were in Ali. Good to be home though isn't it. We still have snow on the ground
but I am looking outside to get started.
See Ya Eric

markert2523

Matt, great to hear from you.  I'm sure you'll be out in the yard with more projects once the snow clears.  Guys like you and I can never let well enough alone!

Making progress.  Finished the first layer of sheetrock and decided to lay another layer on top of that.  I put a layer of foam between them.  I just used laminate floor underlayment stapled to the first layer and put the second layer of rock on top of that.  Hopefully will decouple the layers and block more sound.  One of the pics below shows the underlayment layer.

After painting the rock I installed a layer of foam underlayment on the floor and shot in cheap luan plywood over that.  Shot it in with a crown stapler.  Looks pretty good after four coats of poly.

I really like the Lexan twinwall side windows but they bleed a lot of sound.  I have cut removable panels backed with compressed owens corning fiberglass board to fit in the windows

One of my buddies and his dog providing moral support while I work.

Onkeludo2

Hey Eric...great project!  I bet that will be a lot more comfortable to rehearse in that Dave and Malissa's basement.

Took me while to put the blatantly obvious clues together (rib crib t-shirt, Oklahoma, doing your military service, and the kid that looks exactly like you) but then I realized, I used to run sound (badly) for your band! 

Good to see you again and keep up the good work.

Mike
Making order from chaos is my passion.

Cindge

Your manshed looks very awesome..Great place to hide out!  I love the look of the siding that you and ScottA did, but have a small question-  What keeps the wasps out?  (Maybe you don't have wasps there?)  I live in Southern Missouri, and I'm afraid that would be one gigantic wasp nest, with all the tiny gaps.  They get in any tiny space that's out of the weather and sun.  Got any ideas how that could be solved?

markert2523

Cindge,  I plan to live in harmony with the wasps and mud dobbers.  And maybe get some of that spray that shoots 10 feet!!

Pine Cone

Wasp spray is a builder and homeowner's friend ;D

This is a nest I had to deal with in one of my wall-module building forms.  I used most of a can of wasp spray on it just to be sure...

markert2523

Well, the modern manshed is almost complete.  Just need to wire in some track lighting and find a contractor to install my minisplit heat pump (has been delivered--bought it off ebay).

Already full of music equipment.

Here's a pic of the new fence near the manshed that I built using the same cedar as the siding.

If anybody knows a decent AC contractor in Tulsa to install the minisplit for me, let me know.

Phase two will be the deck and pergola.  May have to wait a bit---I'm tired!

OkieJohn2

That is a sharp looking fence, but I don't see a mansbestfriendshed in the picture, a future project perhaps.
That sure looks like some circa 1970 Altec Lansing gear in your rack.  If you ever decide you do want a window that is somewhat soundproof, you might be interested in how they do windows in recording studios.  They use two sheets of glass of different thicknesses and not mounted parallel.  The ones I have seen are about 9-10 inches thick overall and the glass is wide apart at the top and about an inch apart at the bottom, and the glass is mounted in rubber channels.
As far as gear goes, I hate to say it, but phalynx has you beat on the knob count. For a quick peek take a look at this:
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2525.360
scroll down about 9 posts.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

MountainDon

It is amazing what can be done with windows for blocking sound. I've worked (a long time ago) in a radio studio that had windows overlooking the main thoroughfare through the city, 4 lanes of traffic each way. Triple panes with that slanted spacing. You couldn't hear the busses, 18 wheelers and so on at all.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Onkeludo2

As far as HVAC, run away from A-Able.  There used to be a Carrier dealer on 600 or 900 N Peoria, West side of the street.  Been years since I used them but they were great.

Since you are using a mini-split, you might be better off finding someone who does commercial work...particularly restaurant kitchens.  I think that is the only place I ever saw one installed in Tulsa. 

Honestly, you could do the install yourself if you had the vac pump and the right gauges.  The modern Freon is CFC free, the fittings on most kits are pre-flared and you may even have bought a kit that comes with a pre-filled compressor and lines (that is what I did, no vac pump, and just a top off of freon).  Think of it this way, if the TCN's over here can do it, you probably can too.  Heck, you just built your own version of a CHU from scratch!
Making order from chaos is my passion.

markert2523

Howdy Folks,

Ready to start the pergola for the manshed and wanted to do something like this

I like the reed screen they used as shade cover but I want something a little more rain resistant. 

Stay with me here---it gets complicated. 

I thought I might use 2x6's for the cross members, but rip/taper them from 6" on one end (actually 5.5") to 4" (actually 3.5") on the other.  I could use 6" cedar as the rims on three sides. On the back side (the 4" side) the rim would be 4" cedar.  That would allow me to install some clear lexan panels over the reed screen.  Yes, I know a 2" drop over 12 feet isn't enough to make it water tight, but it would likely be better than water dripping straight through the reed screen.  Plus, nobody would see the back side since it abuts the back fence.  And hopefully the reed screen mostly hides the lexan panels.

Anybody tracking?

Eric

markert2523

Finally got around to starting the pergola for the manshed.  14x16' with beam span of 14' and joist span of about 10'.  All cedar.  6x6" posts are set in concrete with gravel at bottom of holes.  It looks like I set them into sono tubes but these sono tube "rings" are actually 3" sections cut from a 12" diameter sono tube.  After I filled the holes with concrete I slipped these sono tube sections over the top of the posts and then filled them with concrete.  I did that to elevate the concrete at the post bottoms off the grade.  Sure it would have been better to pour a concrete footing and anchor the posts with simpson brackets, but I suspect I'll get a good 20 yrs out of these before they rot and likely another 10 yrs after that before it falls down!

The beams (double 2x12") have a 3" height difference.  I plan to cover the joists with rolled bamboo screen and then top that with clear lexan corrugated roof panels.  With such a low pitch it won't be watertight but should be good enough.  Not sure if I can describe this well but the perimeter fascia boards are 1x8" while the joists are 2x6".  That leaves me some depth to drop in the lexan panels where they won't be seen from the side.

Will post more when cover goes on.

Eric

Mad-Dax

Looks really good...the pergola I like almost better...LOL  Where did you get the 4 window that open outwards for the top?

markert2523

Mad-dax, those are called awning windows.  I took my measurements to Home Depot and they ordered them custom-made.  Reasonable cost and they work well.  I think those four windows plus the two vertical casement windows were under a thousand bucks.  Not bad for getting exactly what I wanted.

Eric

HRshed

Great shed!!!

I am a musician as well and thinking about building a shed just like this one.  How are acoustics?  Any recommendations of sound treating?

How does it sound from the outside when things are cranked up?

Also, what is the beam and space behind it at low end of the roof in the last pictures?  Didn't see that in the framing pics. ...nevermind, just saw the post on it.  How many sqft did it add?

Thanks!

MikeOnBike

Looks great!  I really like the profile.  Your 2/12 pitch looks pretty good.  I'm starting a 10x12 shed roof project in the spring but I have to use a 3/12 roof to manage the snow.  Short wall 7', high wall 10'.  I'm afraid it's going to look a bit silly.  We are going to put a pergola on the front/high side for shade.  I'll use greenhouse cloth so it can be removed for winter, again for the snow.  Thanks for sharing!

markert2523

Hey folks,

Been working on the manshed the last few months and wanted to update the thread.  Finished the pergola with a hard roof.  Hired a contractor to pour a footing and build block base for the fireplace and cooking island.  I framed up the fireplace and used an indoor insert for the firebox.  Really almost done except waiting for the granite to get cut for the fireplace hearth and island top.

I picked the lighter color for the granite

Enjoying the fruits of my labor.

mldrenen

archimedes

Looks great.

What are the dimensions of the pergola?

Are you going to use any lateral bracing?

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.