Started by nathan.principe, September 27, 2010, 05:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Nice work!  Looks great  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Texas Tornado

TeeCee19

Nathan...That is fantastic work. Im almost afraid to start on my project now!! Dont want anyone making comparisons...Very nice.
I plan to be in the Carthage area (on HWY 59 in fact) very near Marshall for Memorial Day weekend. Friend of mine having a crawfish boil that Saturday. Perhaps I can drive out to see ya cabin on Sunday? Directions or you can come eat some crawfish with us Saturday as well..????
Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Nathan..Just scrolled back and noticed you are not as close to Marshall as I thought, but, near Avinger, Longview, Gilmer, etc.... Still good to know about a project in an area im familiar with. (Longview HS grad)
I will actually be building about 70 miles from where you are building. But, I will be near your project Memorial Day Weekend..
Tee Cee

nathan.principe

TeeCee, Ill be here around town in Dallas for Memorial Day.  Also my cabin is in a "private" community, so with out tags on your vehicle they are know to call the police!  And dont be too worried to start your project, you will probably have minor flaws just as mine does :)

nathan.principe

been a while since I posted since most of the progress I have made hasn't been photo worthy ( and I love photos :) ) since Ive last posted I have tied up some loose ends, finished all the electrical, insulated the ceiling and started sheathing it.  I have recommended to a few on here of my ideas of using reclaimed weathered fence pickets for ceiling sheathing because of its rustic effect and cheap nature ( in my case free!)  I will worn tho, it is not an easy task breaking down the panels and removing each nail by hand, but worth it to me in the long run.  I am accually further along in the process then the pics show, and I plan on finishing this weekend 

this ac was given to me for free by my parents, while there is yet no insulation ( and concidering teh ac is probably too small) it at least does the trick of letting you get cooled off by standing on front of it, and right now that is a must!

nathan.principe

More ceiling progress, got a little more to do tho

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

mogie01

I love how this looks, nice work!!   :)

nathan.principe

Ive been to the cabin a couple times since my last post.  I have put up all the used pickets I had but ran short in the loft area.  I will need to acquire enough more to do the "flat" part of the ceiling ( against the collar ties).

My other major feat was starting on the plumbing.  I chose to cpvc supply lines over pex because it seemed less intimidating and I didnt have to buy any new tools ( except some new boring and saw bits for my drill) also I didnt really have any "crazy" maneuvering to do with the pipe.

This Pic is of where I will tie 1" cpvc line from the meter to my rough plumbing.  The idea is that I can turn the ball valve and drain the system thru the faucets before winter.

from there I ran a 3/4" line along the perimeter of the exterior walls that will have the fixtures and stubbed up a 1/2" line thru the bottom plate where I would need water supply

A few things that ran short on supplies to do is tie into this "T" with a 1/2" line and stub up to where my electric on demand water heater will go.  I will have one more line to run from the water heater to the shower, as this will be my only hot water source

I also need to stub down a 3/4" pipe and attach my other faucet on the opposite end of teh cabin and continue the line to make my last stub up

I way of the DWV system I believe I have done everything "exectable" but this was the more tricky part about the project.  I came prepared the a sketch and the parts that I thought I needed, but spent about half my time staring and making changes! haha.  So here is what I got

My main drain line is 3" with 2" pipe conecting to it at various places along the run tying in 2 sinks and the shower, I also used a 4" inch toilet flange and 4"-3" closet bend that drops into the 3" main drain pipe.  Here are the slopes that I have achieved.  In the short run of pipe before the toilet drops into the main drain pipe I have a slope of 1/4" per foot, the main drain pipes twice that at 1/2" per foot slope.  Im not sure what the other 2" pipes are but they are sloping pretty good

the wye that you see connected after the toilet flange will be a 2" vent, and as far as the other vents they are stubbed up the interior and still need to be carried out.  When I install the septic I will finish the run of 3" drain pipe.

muldoon

Nathan,

I am loving this project and appreciate the pictures your posting.  Oddly enough one of your plumbing pictures helped me visualize something I was missing and I want to thank you for it.  Get back to work soon cause your a few steps ahead of me and I want to read about what you are learning in the process.    Nice cabin. 

nathan.principe

My camera has been out of batteries for some time now, so Im behind on posting progress and even taking new photos that are more current.  Obviously I bought batteries so I will post what pics are already on here.

Here some of the drywall in mid-project

I am nearly thru with the tape and bed ( Thank God for that!) and I will do the finishing trim and paint.  Then Im bringing all the furniture!

Gary O

Nathan, I gotta say, I've been following your build for quite some time now on a couple forums, and just get intrigued with every photo set. Lotsa neat nooks and crannies, and just plain unique.
I have to cruise thru more than a couple times just to envision it all.
I always leave your thread wanting more.
I know you're enjoying yourself.
Thanks for the show.

Keep on keepin' on.

ps....nice door, really nice
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

nathan.principe

Im really falling behind on posting regular updates, but better later then never!  Ive been working on the finishing touches getting ready to move the furniture in. It has taken 3 full days of work to paint, install the cedar trim, stain and seal the floors, but that is the last of the work I wanted to do before the furniture.  I decided to take about a year off before I pick back up on the bathroom.  Here are some photos of my recent progress

just for kicks, another 2 of the out side

I have been constructing the cabinets at home from scratch using a good quality grade ply-wood.  I new I was going to pant them and give a distressed look, so because of that there is no complicated joinery, just face nailing with finishing nails.

I decided to use a regular old wash tub for a sink and cut a hole in bottom.  I thought it would add a nice rustic touch and it was only $15!  The counters are made from 2 types of pine ( type framing studs) and cedar ripped down on my table saw and glued together.  I used left over epoxy resin I had to give it a nice seal

I used 1x4 cedar to trim for all the windows and for the ceiling moldings and base boards. This made all the difference!

I went with a simple approach for the stairs.  I used 2x8 stringers and 2x6 cripple blocks (???) in between 2x12 treads.  After we move all the furniture up stairs I will construct the handrails

dablack

Again, that looks really nice.  I really like the cabinets and countertop.  Nice job on the sink too. 

Austin

BADB0Y

Great build!  [cool] I love how many east Texans we have here!
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

Sassy

Never commented on your build - really nice work - very creative.  Hopefully you'll post more  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

aktundra

Wow! Great progress!

I love the door you built! Cabinets are great too! I built two doors for my cabin but found they feel too light (I framed them and did T&G covering). I might try to make my next doors like yours!

Thanks for sharing! I too would rather build things my way.

AK TUNDRA
http://explore-build-do.blogspot.com/

nathan.principe

Thanks for the recent interest.  I will post some pics with the furniture and decor

dablack

Everything looks great.  You can see that you have really been enjoying it. 

Austin