17x24 East Tx Cabin

Started by nathan.principe, September 27, 2010, 05:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathan.principe

Went to the cabin today, didnt get a whole lot done, just some tedius stuff.  Did the 1x6 cedar fascia and installed a 2x4 ledger for the soffits on the lower roof line, did some more sheathing on the porch area, and added 1 of 2 rafter ties, almost ready to do some roofing but not quite yet, heres some pics

Heres the Rafter tie detail, I dont have any stock available to me over 16' and I needed 17', so here you can see that I notched 2 10' length to receive each other with a 6" over lap, I later glued and screwed them together and added a 1/2" plywood gusset ( supposed to mimic a steel plate) and also glued and screwed them to either side for reinforcement, the other 3 2x6s are mainly for character, but im sure they add some support also

what you are seeing in the last two pics under the rafter tie is my rolling scaffolding

and just for fun, a shot from the road at the end of our property

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

jan nikolajsen

This is my favorite project to follow here on CP. Amazing!

nathan.principe

Thanks for the kind words, means a lot coming from 2 skilled builders as yourselfs

nathan.principe

I took a friend with me yesterday to start on the roof purlins that I mentioned in a previous post.  We got about half the roof done with them.  I also finished installing the remainder of the pre-assembled end rafter/soffit combos ( I will have a little adjusting and some unexpected trim in some of those areas to hide imperfections.  Here are some pics of the progress

You probably noticed in previous pics that the end rafters werent making a connection, this is a pic after I nailed them off the ridge board.  I will have to replace part of the fascias tho to conceal the small gap

nathan.principe

a few more photos from recent progress.  we about 90% done with installing the purlins, the electric is ready for the service drop, and I completed the framing for the dormer window, still have one wall to build between the 2 roof lines, and some sheathing to do before installing the metal roof.  Also I think I had an epiphany on the roofing, my new thought is to install 1/2" rigid foam under the metal roofing (on top of the purlins) in vertical strips as wide as the metal panels, so I can install both at the same time as I move across the roof ( and I will tape the seams) my reason for this is I believe it will take care of the issue of condensation  dripping into my rafter bays and insulation.  If condensation forms under the metal, the foam board is a water proof AND will give an extra r-2 to the roof.  To me this trumps the idea of installing vertical felt under the metal, what do you think?

astidham

the place is coming together nicely Nathan
— Henry Ford

TeeCee19

Hey Nathan and other members.

Your house looks great!!!

I have not posted since earlier in the fall..Ran into a bit of bad luck. (divorce)

BUT, I am proud to say, I'm almost outta the woods (not literally) with my problems and I can say I will get to start back on my project VERY SOON (which is in the woods...get it? LOL). I will be making my first trip back to Nacogdoches, to work on my lot in almost 6 months. I have been back there twice since October for FUNERALS(sad to say). But, logging on here and seeing u guys still going at it is therapy for me. Will take pictures of my cleared lot. I am going down either this weekend or the "in between " weekend before the Super Bowl.(IM a HUGE STEELERS FAN and I can't miss any of the games at this point.)

I plan to build my storage "shed" first. For two reasons: 1) Practice(since I have never built anything ever)
2) To house materials and tools ; so I wont have to lug them back and forth from Dallas area to Nac(2.5 hour drive)

Is this a good idea or not? Any suggestions on what plans to use for the storage shed?
I plan to use the small house plan that has the three "choices" with it? I can't remember that plan name at the moment..LOL..geeez...Im gonna need LOTS of help..
Tee Cee

MountainDon

Quote from: TeeCee19 on January 19, 2011, 01:21:45 PM
I plan to build my storage "shed" first. For two reasons: 1) Practice(since I have never built anything ever)
2) To house materials and tools ; so I wont have to lug them back and forth from Dallas area to Nac(2.5 hour drive)

Is this a good idea or not?

It's a good idea, IMO. The only time it is not a good idea is when/if the local permit process insists on having the residence built first.   G/L
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeOnBike

Quote from: TeeCee19 on January 19, 2011, 01:21:45 PM

Is this a good idea or not?

I can't remember that plan name at the moment..LOL..geeez...

They are the Little House Plans
http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/29.html

That is what we did. I used the plans for the 10x14 and built a 10x12.  We added a gable roof for the loft so we have a storage shed and sleeping quarters.  Works very well.  We are planning a 20x32 1-1/2 story in the future.
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10085.0

nathan.principe

thx for the compliment teecee19,  I also built a shed before my main build, only the shed is at my house( I dont leave tools or much materials at the site)  It was very helpful to get hands on experience before attempting the main cabin.  Good luck and be sure to post plenty of pics!  I will add more pics and update my project as soon as I get the roof on

Mad-Dax

Quote from: nathan.principe on October 11, 2010, 01:17:11 PM
Ok, well that makes more sense, I guess I just read it wrong.  Dax, I know where Wills Point is, do you have any photos or a thread going on your project?

Been so long I know...I will make a thread with the pics I have so far.

nathan.principe

Had a chance to put up some of the roofing, didnt get as far as I had hoped but I should be able to finish on my next visit, the hard part is out of the way (roofing around the dormer).  Heres some pics, enjoy

astidham

Your making good progress Nathan.
— Henry Ford

mogie01

Your place is looking great!!  Nice work!

nathan.principe

Almost complete with the roof!  fell 2 panels short.  Most of you know that I took an untraditional approach to my roof being that I installed the metal over purlins.  I was able to tuck vertical strips of 30# felt under each panel as I installed and lapped them by 6"-8".  I also fastend the ridge cap as I moved along the roof, tucking each panel under it as I installed it.  All in all, it was a much tougher job than I expect, just as everything else has been.  There are flaws that occured in some of the panels getting out of line with each other by over all Im happy with it, and the look.  I also installed another interior "truss thingy ???" that matches the 1st one and acts as a "rafter tie" ( thx! Mtn Don).  Also painted some of the exterior green ( the two unpainted spots in the front will get cut out for windows) and finished up putting on the felt underlayment in the porch area that will get cedar siding.  Enjoy the pics :)

TeeCee19

Looking good Nathan!! I am so envious.. Planted grass seed on my lot three weeks ago to help cut down on runoff. Hope to start my "storage shed" next month! Cool to see someone near by (my cottage gonna be in Nacogdoches area) doing similar thing. I hope I can be half as good as you are with your place. Awesome!!
Tee Cee

John Raabe

Nice looking project Nathan. I like the style and the big sheltering roof. Those trusses you built look nice and sturdy too.

You are up in the air there. That roof looks pretty steep from below!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

nathan.principe

Quote from: John Raabe on April 06, 2011, 04:33:03 PM

You are up in the air there. That roof looks pretty steep from below!
It looks steep from up there too! hahaha......thanks for the kind comments everyone

PA-Builder

Looks like the electric meter reader may need a step-ladder; or is the picture a little deceiving ...  ???

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

nathan.principe

Quote from: PA-Builder on April 09, 2011, 08:22:57 PM
Looks like the electric meter reader may need a step-ladder; or is the picture a little deceiving ...  ???
If it were a little higher he would!  Ive actually been there when he has come around, you can read it from the ground tho

nathan.principe

Got to the cabin this weekend for a little work!  This time I brought with me a project I have been working on at home....My front door!  After pricing exterior wood slabs, I knew that was out of the question.  My next option was looking at solid wood interior slabs which were much more reasonable, but still a pretty penny, my thought was to give it several coats of exterior grade poly to protect it from the elements.  As my wheels started to turn the idea of making my own slab and frame from scratch sounded like a challenge worth giving a try.  I did a little research and drew some rough plans.  Heres how I started

I started with 2x6 white pine for the perimeter part of the door as well as one board that cuts across the middle.  I set my table saw and made a 1/2" grove in the center, 2" deep, by making several passes with a typical saw blade

The next steps were to make a series of cuts interlock all the different pieces of the door together by "tongue and grove" and "biscuit" type joints.  When done I pieced together the door piece by piece gluing everything along the way.  After that I used a 1" saw drill bit to take plugs out of the perimeter where the pieces locked together and plugged them with 1" dowel pieces for added strength, heres a few pieces of the intricate cuts

nathan.principe

The next few pics are of the finished product being install along with a few more windows and cedar siding on the porch area, enjoy!

astidham

WOW!! Nice work Nathan..
— Henry Ford