Progress report on our little cottage

Started by timj, April 19, 2012, 11:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timj

The outside is now done except for stain. We have been working on the inside. Closets are done, and we just painted the entire interior. Next will be kitchen cabinets.

duncanshannon

looking good. do you have a build thread already some where or is this the first post?
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Sassy

You can post larger pictures  ;D  Looks really nice but my poor 'ol eyes have a hard time seeing such small detail  :D

w*  if this is your 1st time to post & if it isn't  w* anyway
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

timj

Here is a larger outside pic. I had a build diary going in here. I was trying to show a method of construction I learned from an old timer years ago, that is much, much less expensive than the "modern way". I was basically run out of here because people thought I was showing unsafe and unexceptible constructions methods and would be copied by those who don't know any better.

I have built this entire cottage. The only thing left to do is the kitchen cabinets, hardwood flooring and bathroom fixtures. So far, I have spent $12,000.00.

timj

Darn it, I thought that was a bigger pic.....try again.....

hhbartlett

Quote from: timj on April 22, 2012, 07:47:51 AM
Here is a larger outside pic. I had a build diary going in here. I was trying to show a method of construction I learned from an old timer years ago, that is much, much less expensive than the "modern way". I was basically run out of here because people thought I was showing unsafe and unexceptible constructions methods and would be copied by those who don't know any better.

I have built this entire cottage. The only thing left to do is the kitchen cabinets, hardwood flooring and bathroom fixtures. So far, I have spent $12,000.00.

You have my attention. Care to expand on this method of construction? Where does the money get saved?

timj

Mostly because it was built from rough sawn green lumber. But also in the foundation method. Check out my build thread at:

www.littlehouseonthehill.weebly.com

waterbug

Tim, your place is really looking good. You have made a lot of progress in a short time.

hhbartlett

I read your whole web page. That's impressive progress in that amount of time, while working at the same time! Couple of questions, though...

Is your foundation simply 6" x 6" posts set in concrete? Any concerns with that method? I didn't see any cross bracing or angle posts, would that matter? Interesting idea to use 10' x 10' boxes on the floor joists. Did you have to get permits & inspections for this? Where I am, we can build up to 600 square feet without inspections, larger if it's not meant for living space.

Also, is the foundation/floor insulated?

I also didn't see anything about plumbing and stuff, do you have a well & septic?

Forgive me for all the questions, but your build is really interesting to me. Very "old school". Any estimate on how much the rough sawn lumber saved you?

alex trent

I think this looks great!!

Curious...what were the major quarells you reference with your method?

On the siding...how do the vertical boards butt to stay tight/weatherproof.

timj

Quote from: hhbartlett on April 22, 2012, 09:14:50 AM
I read your whole web page. That's impressive progress in that amount of time, while working at the same time! Couple of questions, though...

Is your foundation simply 6" x 6" posts set in concrete? Any concerns with that method? I didn't see any cross bracing or angle posts, would that matter?

I think it would matter a lot more in different soil than mine. I am sitting in solid clay and it is hard as concrete. If you are in sand or swamp, cross bracing could be added.

[/quote]Interesting idea to use 10' x 10' boxes on the floor joists. Did you have to get permits & inspections for this? Where I am, we can build up to 600 square feet without inspections, larger if it's not meant for living space.[/quote]

There are no building codes or inspection where I am at.

[/quote]Also, is the foundation/floor insulated? [/quote]

The entire crawl space is insulated with 4 inches of styrofoam inside the treated skirt.

[/quote]I also didn't see anything about plumbing and stuff, do you have a well & septic?[/quote]

The well and septic are not yet in. All of the plumbing will come through the floor from the crawl space.

[/quote]Forgive me for all the questions, but your build is really interesting to me. Very "old school". Any estimate on how much the rough sawn lumber saved you?
[/quote]

I would guess about a 60 to 70% savings!

timj

Quote from: alextrent on April 22, 2012, 09:33:15 AM
I think this looks great!!

Curious...what were the major quarells you reference with your method?

On the siding...how do the vertical boards butt to stay tight/weatherproof.

That the wood would split, buckel, warp, and twist beyond recognition for one. For another, there are really no "beams" under my house. The floor joists are double or trippled where support is needed.

Also, many felt my span between support posts were far to far...........oh well!  ;-)