1 and 1/2 Story 20x30 Alberta Cottage

Started by Alberta Curt, February 24, 2008, 11:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberta Curt

Done for the winter.  Thanks for all the helpful feedback and ideas!!!

glenn kangiser

Looks great Curt and glad we could be of assistance.  You have just made some bear a happy camper this winter. heh
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peteh2833

Curt, how did you install the ridge cap for the metal roofing? Did you work it from one end to the other and stradle the ridge? Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Alberta Curt

Yep.  Just started at one end and worked towards the other, stradling the ridge as I went. 

glenn kangiser

Now that you mentioned it, that is how I did the one on my RV garage with a 12/12 roof.  I wasn't concerned about scratching the sheeting either as I used rusty old corrugated metal for that ancient look.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peteh2833

Thanks for the info and the picture. That is what I thought. Did you rope yourself off????
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Alberta Curt

Roped off, but it was a little tricky.  Roped off to one side and I hoped, that if I fell, it was down the right side.

Alberta Curt

It's been a couple of months.  Hope everyone is well. Can't stay away all winter.  What are you guys using to heat your projects while working in the winter?

Alberta Curt

Is anyone working on their projects over winter?  What are you guys using to heat your projects?  Or am I the only one that hasn't installed his fireplace?

???

MountainDon

Winter is time to catch up on some of the at home projects neglected over the spring, summer & fall.

:D :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peteh2833

I have been trying to get some things done on the inside since we have 3 feet of snow on the ground. Thankfully I am off of a road that the State maintains and plows. I got some insulation done, most of the loft floor done and the stairs built. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Alberta Curt

Going to do the electrical and insulation this month.  I was going to install a plastic vapor barrier over the insulation, but I noticed some guys have paper backing on their insulation.  Does this suffice as a vapor barrier? 

On an unrelated note regarding cedar siding - does the outside window and corner trim go on before or after the siding?

More dumb questions coming at you...............

Redoverfarm

Pete I think we have just drifted onto Alberta Curts original posting.  Sorry Alberta I was just following suit.  You can blame it on Pete.  ;D.  I will try to re-direct my responses to the N.Pa. site.  Opps.

peteh2833

Sorry, I didn't mean to Hijack your thread. I moved it over to my thread. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Alberta Curt on February 07, 2009, 04:39:13 PM
Is anyone working on their projects over winter?  What are you guys using to heat your projects?  Or am I the only one that hasn't installed his fireplace?

???

Some are working in the cold.  BK has tried some heaters - propane shop heaters I think - but they are not melting the ice inside his house so it still has to be cold --

Alberta Curt

Another question.........

I'm going to get started on the loft railing soon.  I had planned on the design below.  Has anyone constructed a similar design and are there any issues with privacy in the loft? 

The other option I was considering was a pony wall.

MountainDon

I can see the issue of privacy being an issue "depending upon" the people involved. With younger kids probably not an issue unless the sounds, light, etc from below keeps them from being able to get to sleep while the older folks are still up.

If the space is for occasional guests, the lack of privacy may help keep them in the occasional category.   ;)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Curt not exactly sure of your floor plan but it appears to be a catwalk(right) from the stairs with the main room off to the left aginst one wall(ceiling).  Correct me if I am wrong but the only privacy that you will need will be  the view from the ground floor?  There are several options available.  A pony wall as you state, a couple set of bifold window shutters, Frosted solid or design etching in glass or plexiglass.  The list goes on.  But I would think of a screen effect before something permanent.  I mean something that could be changed fairly easy and not take away from the big picture. 

As for my loft I am not putting anything. Of course my two loft rooms are at 90 deg from each other so the short log wall extension will block 75% of the view from one to the other. I have the fireplace flue in front of the one loft and the loft bathroom wall to the other looking from the living room   I guess if one would want complete privacy they could change in the bathroom or out in the woods.  ;D

Dog

Glenn, your happy bear camper comment under the photo of the large opening to the house was hilarious  rofl

Alberta, the place is coming along really nice!  :) 
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

glenn kangiser

I was just thinking it looked inviting... if I was a bear.

Dog

It looks like opening of a  "4 STAR" bear cave.

Alberta...looks you you guys got some good work accomplished this winter. Can't wait to see spring progress!  :)
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Alberta Curt

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Our plan is to go with the railing.  didn't want to mislead anyone, the last picture I posted was not our cabin, rather the style of loft railing I wish to have.  I wish mine looked that good.  Oh....and I dind't leave the doors off for the winter!!!  No bears spending the winter in my place - yet.

Alberta Curt

Does anyone know if a ground rod is required for solar power/generator?  If required, what size of ground wire?  I thought I'd ask before calling the inspection group on Monday.

Any insight would be appreciateed

Curt

MountainDon

Grounding for a PV system is required by the NEC. In fact there are several groundings, which do you mean? The PV panels/array? AC/DC? The distribution panel? Other equipment? Is this a stand alone or a grid tie system?

Array panel grounding requirements depend on location of panels; ground level, pole or roof top; some require GFCI protection.

The DC side ground can usually be 6 AWG, bare or green only. There are a few cases where the DC ground must be the same size as the battery cables.

The AC side will be the same as any regular grid tied power system.

Alberta Curt

Wow.  I don't know the answers to most of those questions, other than its off the grid.  I was only referring to the electrical within the cabin as I wasn't going to be installing the panels and equipment until next summer.

I think I have some homework to do.........

Thanks for your quick feedback.