14 x24 average cost of building

Started by scottishscott, December 15, 2005, 11:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottishscott

Hello, I am wanting to find out about average cost to build one of these for a workshop. Nothing fancy but insulated and wired of course. Anybody have any answers I would appreciate it.It will help me in my decision on building one greatly.Thank you in advance.

glenn-k

It very much depends on the materials you use and where you are, how much is new - how much you scrounge, etc.

Contractors are building an 8x10 for about $3000 average I read on a message board - You should be able to do it for 1/2 of that yourself then multiply square foot cost to get a price -rough---  

On the thrifty side - cutting my own wood on my sawmill I built my 15 x 24 add on for less than $400 plus our labor -similar to a shed now - more finish stuff to be added later.

phalynx

Maybe i am missing something?  I just built, this year, a 20x32 shop for $6500.00.  Now, this shop was contructed by my wife and myself.  It is a slab foundation, 2x4 walls 16" o/c, fully insulated, sheetrocked, taped and floated, full 220v 125 amp electrical service, T-111 siding and a asphalt shingle roof.  I purchased all of the materials except the concrete at Home Depot.  Why did my building cost SOOO much less than everyone else?  Are building materials prices so much different in the rest of the country?  BTW, this was built outside of Houston TX.

I just ran through an estimation of materials for the 20x30 1 1/2 story home we will be building and with full kitchen and complete home for about 12k on pier and beam.

jraabe

Phalynx is building for a bit over $10/SF. That is very good! My sons and I built our small Little House cottage for that as well. http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/3.html

It will be hard to build a full house with cabinets, flooring etc. for that price, however.

Here is my cost estimation sheet but there are so many variables in what people consider a house properly finished should include that you need to take all this as very rough estimates and your milage will vary.

http://www.countryplans.com/costs.html

rayN(Guest)

I'm using $25.00 a square foot as an estimate on my one room cabin (no septic, no well, but electric).  

You may want to divide it into two catagories.  (1) Routine stuff - framing lumber, plywood, nails and the like and figure $15.00 or so.  (2) Expensive stuff - siding, flooring, heat, water, electric - and then price out what you are willing/need to spend on those.

Luckily I found nice used and unused windows and doors second hand for about $300.00  I think one of the Anderson double hungs would have gone for that,  and the french door almost $1000.00