Snow Fleas?

Started by Redoverfarm, December 24, 2009, 04:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

My daughter brought my attention to a swarm of insects scattered on top of the snow.  I told her that it was probably ashes from the stove. She said "Dad they jump".  And they actually did just like a flea.  Did springtime come and I missed it.  :)

ScottA

You sure there's not a dog burried under the snow right there? Never seen anything like that. We're having a blizzard right now so I'll be on the lookout for snow fleas.

Redoverfarm

Squirl I had no idea that they even existed.  That is just what they reminded me of when I looked at them.  Strange to think that something that would be normally found in the summer would appear in the cold snow in the dead of winter.

phalynx

Completely makes sense.  ".... Mary had a little lamb, with fleas as white as snow."
d*

Redoverfarm

Quote from: phalynx on December 24, 2009, 06:41:46 PM
Completely makes sense.  ".... Mary had a little lamb, with fleas as white as snow."
d*

rofl

StinkerBell

I never heard of a snow flea, heard of ice worms...never a snow flea until I read that wikipedia reference...

bayview

Just when I thought it was safe to snow sun-bathe . . .   :-[

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

rick91351

Wow what you can learn - I have seen them but I just thought.... I guess I never ever thought about them..... they were just there.....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

I used to hear of problems with bar flies in the old days....

Never heard of snow fleas.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MushCreek

Of course there are snow fleas..... what do you think snow snakes eat?
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

curlewdave

MushCreek

Oddly enough, snowbirds are rarely seen in the snow. FL is infested with 'em this time of year.......
Jay

rick91351

Quote from: MushCreek on December 26, 2009, 08:31:08 AM
Of course there are snow fleas..... what do you think snow snakes eat?

Snowshoe Rabbits? ???
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

hmm We never see them in Fre sno... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rick91351

Glenn I think you lost everyone with Fresno.

MushCreek

There 'sno place like Fre sno.......
Jay

glenn kangiser

hmm It was a bit of a reach wasn't it.    [waiting]