rafter framing updates

Started by RIjake, April 20, 2011, 07:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIjake

Got the 20x30 1.5 story plans recently.  In the package there's a slip of paper with a note referencing some changes to details that don't quite jive with the plans.  My basic question is whether the site built trusses are OK to build as shown?  I'll be building a 12 pitch roof steel roof in Western Maine.  The snow load is pretty substantial but I'm not sure if the metal roof will negate that.

What exactly is the note referring to?  My plans don't have an alternative framing detail on page 11.

John Raabe

The alternative framing diagram is on page 11 of the booklet (last page). Those notes were referring to the booklet pages (less used options) not the main plan pages.

A metal roof will help snow slide off but won't change the design load for the snow. The best method for the truss roof is to have a local truss company build them to your design loads (which they will know). If that is not possible, build the sturdy site built truss with lots of nails and adhesives. It has been built successfully in heavy snow areas.
None of us are as smart as all of us.