"growing" impatient

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, April 16, 2008, 04:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

Hey Sassy......HT has not posted today.....
Do ya think she went without telling us? Or she went and maybe didn't read my request....

Redoverfarm

Not like her. Wonder if she has a laptop and the hospital has Wifi. We are going to have to set some guidelines. Three postings a day. Morning. noon and evening to keep track of her.

glenn kangiser

We need to talk to that girl.  You'd think she'd at least have the courtesy to get Countryplans up on her laptop in the delivery room. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

She did check in -- last on at 5:52:45 this morning our time - Maybe 7:52 her time.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

No baby yet... ;D  Went down to see my dad and step-mom after church today (spent yesterday with my mom.)  Cooked myself thoroughly in the sun.  Didn't know you could tan/burn through pants, but they're some flimsy dressy material.  Just got back...

Had to go somewhere or do something because I was getting tired of sitting around the house and not having a garden to mess around in.  The kids hadn't seen their Granny (my step-mom) much since we moved back because of her crazy work schedule, so Sunday afternoons are about the only time to catch her. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

And I'm not sure if the hospital has wifi or not... I haven't been inside that particular hospital in years, since my grandpa was in there for something when I was a teenager, and I know it is all remodeled, but not much else...  Should probably take a tour of labor and delivery before the baby gets here, and honestly had planned to, but because of the times that my appointments have been, we're always in a hurry to get DH back to work, so we leave from the doc's office which is just across the street without ever going in the hospital.  These days you're never in the hospital more than about 24-48 hours anyway, so you all will probably get an update soon even if I can't post from the hospital.  DH said I may be able to post from his phone, but he's not sure if he can access the forums with it or not.  We'll see.  But in the mean time, I'll try to keep everyone updated.... 

glenn kangiser

Homegrown Tomatoes

My Mom is betting on me having the baby tomorrow.  My Grandma "thought sure" I'd have it on Mother's Day.  The realtor is even weighing in with her opinion that I need to wait an extra week and have it NEXT Tuesday on her birthday.  I'd just like to get it done.   ;D

I am back to feeling kind of queasy again today, so you never know...I got more sleep last night than I've had in two week's worth of nights, so maybe my batteries are recharged a little and I'll have a kiddo today.  Of course, the house has kind of disintegrated into chaos in the past few days. 

I just got a call from my cousin's wife, whose little sister is in labor now, and she is going to bring her four kids over for us to watch while she goes to the hospital to be with her sister... doesn't that sound like the perfect scenario for labor to start?  Having six little girls all under the age of 7 over here and no way to take them all in the truck with me to the hospital if I do go into labor?  I grinned and told her to bring them on!!!  Sounds like a ball... my kids love to play with their cousins, and I figure it ups my chances (via Murphy's Law) for going into labor this afternoon.  Hopefully, if anything does happen, I can get my sister or mom or someone here in time to watch all the kids....and my sister could bring her two little girls and then it'd really be nuts around here. 

Sassy

Sounds like a plan!   :)  You probably had a good night's sleep so you're rested up for the labor  c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

I tried to reply to this thread yesterday with no luck... computer wasn't cooperating.  I ended up with all of my cousin's kids here last night until just after midnight.  Until three o'clock in the morning, I thought I was going to go ahead and have the baby but then the contractions subsided.  We had a ball with all the girls here, though.  Only a few minor injuries were incurred.  The big girls were out "bug-hunting" in the back yard when my cousin's second daughter chunked a brick and hit my oldest in the side of the head, right next to her eye.  It left a pretty good gash next to her eye, but thankfully didn't do any lasting harm, unless the poor kid scars as easily as I do.  It wasn't intentional, as she tossed it over her shoulder without looking and didn't realize DD was standing right there.  She felt terrible and actually cried a lot longer about it than DD, and it really took some convincing to get her to come back and play with the other girls.  Meanwhile, DD is going to have quite a shiner.  The baby didn't want to go to sleep in a strange house, and so she was pretty difficult for a few hours in the evening, and then the second-youngest announced she needed to go to the bathroom, and I sent my oldest and her oldest sister with her to the bathroom.  A few seconds later all the big girls came screaming out of the bathroom about "poop"!  Turns out she'd gone in her pants by the time she told me and then had gotten it all over the bathroom in the process of trying to get on the toilet.  So I handed the littlest one off to my husband, whereupon she started screaming all over again, and then went to do damage control and find the second-youngest something clean to change into.  All in all, it wasn't bad for having six girls under seven years old in the same household... but I realize that God was watching out for me in having my kids spaced a little farther apart!  Miraculously, there were four girls all asleep on the futon, and my little one had ended up in bed with daddy,  and cousin's littlest was asleep in our crib by around ten (which is still a few hours after our kids' normal bedtime, but I don't think my cousin and his wife really enforce bedtimes in their house.)  I was just about to doze off in the recliner when my cousin's wife called to let me know that her sister's baby had finally arrived and she was on the way to our house.  I thought sure I'd go ahead and go into labor after that... oh, and at 3 AM my daughter woke up and wanted to know where all the cousins had gone....  The house looks like it was ransacked by a bunch of wild looters, but an hour or so should have it put aright again.  Oh, and it made me really glad that my kids eat everything and are so not-picky... cousin's girls wanted a sandwich, so I made them PB&J on the last few pieces of bread we had when the oldest looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "Aunt Michelle, I don't eat this kind of bread."  (She also didn't like that I mix the jelly and PB together to keep my younger one from removing the jelly side and licking it all off, plus I use way less jelly that way.)  My little one hollered, "Well, if she don't want it, I'll eat it!" and she proceeded to eat the whole thing.   ;D  My kids had wanted PB&J earlier and I'd made them eat real food, and they figured that if their cousins didn't appreciate a treat, they were certainly going to take advantage! 

Sassy

Whew!  I'm tired just reading about your adventure  :D  When I have my one granddaughter overnite, she tires me out & she's really pretty easy to take care of at 5 y/o.  Your baby is just too comfy still! 

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'm feeling the effects of last night a lot more today than I did during the night.  Even after I helped my cousin-in-law load all her sleeping girls into the van and got our little one back in her own bed, I couldn't sleep for a long time.  Strong contractions every 7 minutes until 3 AM, and then I guess something about getting up with DD and dealing with her and getting a drink of water kind of settled them down.  Still feel like I could have a baby any moment.  I really want to go out driving around looking for land, but at the same time don't want to be that far out of town with no other driver should things pick up. Instead, I guess I'll go to CVS and pick up more blood testing supplies and then stop by the grocery store for some nuts (I'm out of stuff to eat again) and some bread for the rest of the family.  If I don't go into labor before my Thursday appointment, I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor pushes the issue of induction a bit, and honestly, I wouldn't blame her... my due date (revised) is tomorrow.

When I see grandparents raising their grandkids, I am always amazed at how they do it.  There is a reason God gave us seasons in our lives for bearing children and seasons for being grandparents.  When my mom has my two girls for the day, she always is thoroughly worn out from it, yet they're good kids and aside from asking a million questions, they entertain themselves and pick up after themselves fairly well.  When we have three, I don't know if she could handle three at the same time now.  I remember when I was a kid, though, she used to babysit about 5-6 kids and then all the neighbor kids would come over to our house to play.  Everyone thought she had at least a dozen kids (and we were all different colors, so it probably gave some folks lots to talk about!) 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Went to the pharmacy yesterday to refill my blood testing supplies.  You would've thought I was asking for narcotics or something.  What damage could I possibly do with test strips and lancets other than give myself some wicked callouses on my fingertips?  Anyway, doc didn't give me quite enough refills (I suspect poor ability to multiply by four tests a day for the duration of the nine months give or take a week...)  and the pharmacy couldn't get her to reply to them, so I wasted a trip.  Will have to try again today, i guess.  I pretty much know what I can and can't eat now, but still I prefer to err on the cautious side, and my blood sugar got so low this morning that I thought I was going to pass out.

Wish that the baby would just come on out to see us so that I didn't have to mess with a trip to the pharmacy.

Sassy

The pharmacy will give you an emergency supply of insulin if you've run out & don't have a renewal RX, pretty stupid that they won't let you buy the strips & lancets...  especially since you are pregnant & it's so important to keep you blood sugar WNL...  you don't want to go low as it effects the baby, also... & you don't want to pass out...   :(

Homegrown Tomatoes

I know... it seemed silly.  This is the third day without testing... I've tried to be careful, but it is still a good idea to test frequently and see how you're doing.  I think it was low this morning because I hardly ate supper last night (no appetite) and then had only protein and veggies for breakfast.  By around 9 or 9:30 I started getting really shaky all the sudden and my legs felt like they belonged on a card table, LOL.  I grabbed a glass of milk and put a little carb-loaded instant vanilla shake stuff in it, and it seemed to do the trick.

Haven't called the pharmacy yet today because I'm trying to get stuff done around here.

Homegrown Tomatoes

After lunch I reckon the kids and I can run to the pharmacy again.  I hope she renewed the prescription this time.  It was funny, yesterday was like that all day... seemed like a conspiracy.  The pharmacy didn't have (and didn't get within a reasonable amount of time) permission to refill my prescription.  Then I went by the grocery store for the sole purpose of buying more nuts (one of my mainstays these days).  They had NO mixed nuts, NO raw almonds, and only one bag of walnuts.  I also got a jar of peanuts and a jar of sunflower seeds... it wasn't what I really had in mind, but at least it was something!  I have some spicy pumpkin seeds in the pantry, too, which are good on salads, etc., so hopefully that'll tide me over...  there was something else they were out of, but I can't remember what, now... just the stuff on my list, basically.  :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, cousin's wife brought us one of the changing table mattress thingys and some soft terry cloth covers to go on it, so I got those all washed up and ready today, caught up on all the laundry, cleaned out the fridge and prepped a bunch of food, cleaned the bedrooms and bathrooms, changed all the sheets, etc.  Watered everything outdoors.  Decluttered the living room and office.  Got dinner ready. Finally read Sunday's paper, watched a documentary, and now I just wish this little one would make an appearance.  Have had a lower backache all day, but don't know if that means anything or not...also have had some contractions off and on, but not anything too painful.

NM_Shooter

Wait... so you didn't have the baby this morning at 2am? 

Oh boy.  You know what that means, right?  You have to carry for another year and try again on May 14 at 2am.

Sorry.  Rules are rules.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on May 14, 2008, 01:35:07 PM
After lunch I reckon the kids and I can run to the pharmacy again.  I hope she renewed the prescription this time.  It was funny, yesterday was like that all day... seemed like a conspiracy.  The pharmacy didn't have (and didn't get within a reasonable amount of time) permission to refill my prescription.  Then I went by the grocery store for the sole purpose of buying more nuts (one of my mainstays these days).  They had NO mixed nuts, NO raw almonds, and only one bag of walnuts.  I also got a jar of peanuts and a jar of sunflower seeds... it wasn't what I really had in mind, but at least it was something!  I have some spicy pumpkin seeds in the pantry, too, which are good on salads, etc., so hopefully that'll tide me over...  there was something else they were out of, but I can't remember what, now... just the stuff on my list, basically.  :)

Hmm - So it's started...food shortage...nut hoarding....hmm

I'd suggest that if you can find them, now would be a good time to grab them before they disappear.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 14, 2008, 06:00:42 PM
Wait... so you didn't have the baby this morning at 2am? 

Oh boy.  You know what that means, right?  You have to carry for another year and try again on May 14 at 2am.

Sorry.  Rules are rules.

-f-
No fair, Shooter!  I already feel about 18 months along!
Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 14, 2008, 07:14:58 PM
Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on May 14, 2008, 01:35:07 PM

Hmm - So it's started...food shortage...nut hoarding....hmm

I'd suggest that if you can find them, now would be a good time to grab them before they disappear.

Problem is that I'm going through them so fast that even hoarding them, they don't last too long.  Each week I've been getting one of those huge cans of mixed nuts, and they're gone or nearly so by the end of the week (my kids are a little nutty, too.)  I've also been buying bulk raw almonds, but couldn't find anything but the sliced and blanched ones.  My mom checked at her grocery store and they were out too.  All the more reason to get out of town ASAP and get a real garden going.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, went to the doctor this morning and she says that I'm about halfway there... it could be today or it could be next week... I hope I don't have to wait until next week, though!  Even my maternity shirts are having trouble stretching far enough... 'bout the only thing left to do is walk around in a muu-muu. 

Hope it is before tomorrow PM because my mom is threatening to come up and "camp out" for the weekend.  Not to sound cold, but my family is a lot less picky about what's for dinner than my mom is, and I get tired of having to cook special stuff for her.  Also, I don't think the stress of an extra person in the house is good for inducing labor right now!

glenn kangiser

I think if she shows up it should be to cook for you and the family. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

;) Agreed, but not too likely.  She doesn't cook much and never really has, though she can when pressed or when there is a holiday.  She eats out almost every day, and she'd rather go out than cook... has a tendency to expect it of us.  Not such a big deal now, but when we were first married and dead broke, she'd come up and want us to take her out rather than eat whatever I had on hand (usually eggs or goat meat and whatever veggies came from the garden.)  Whatever I cooked was never good enough back then... even though she'd survived on my cooking most of the time I was growing up, from around the time I was 7 years old.  Now that we can afford some meat, she is not as crabby, but I guess I always anticipate it anyway, and while most people like my cooking, she is not terribly complimentary about it (unless talking to someone else... and then she gushes???)  However, I do remember that I was in the process of making homemade chicken noodle soup when I ended up in the hospital having my first DD, so I called her and asked her to stop by the house and add the  homemade egg noodles en route to meet us at the hospital.  She went on and on about how good that soup tasted, which was pretty cruel since I couldn't eat anything, and she and DH ran home to have another helping.   ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Also, I've anticipated her not really volunteering her catering services, so I've marinated a lot of meat in the freezer for DH to slap on the grill, and anyone can make a salad to go with, or fry some taters or something.  My 3YO dd informed me the other day that Daddy doesn't let her cook, only her big sister, but that she likes to cook with me because I was letting her help brown the meat. 

Sassy

HG, surprised you are still home!  But, even though the 2nd or 3rd babies often come earlier that predicted, they have their own time schedule & will come into the world when ready  :)  I guess God makes it so the mother will go through anything to get that baby out!  I've been saying little prayers for you throughout the day, not knowing whether you've gone in or not. 

Parents seem to be the hardest persons to please...  and they're the very ones you want approval from.  I know I do the same with my kids at times - "you could have done it this way or better or you didn't do enough" thinking I'm trying to teach them the right way...  I try to balance it with positives but the negative always seems to stick in a persons mind & negate the positive...   :-\