"growing" impatient

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, April 16, 2008, 04:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Technically five more weeks of being pregnant left, but if past pregnancies are any indication, this baby will be here probably within the next three, maybe even sooner.  Getting pretty miserable and the baby has definitely dropped down some.  Having trouble sleeping, aching back, etc.  Had contractions every five minutes for two hours the other day, but they weren't long/strong enough to do much I don't think.  DH swears that "nesting" has already set in about a week ago when I packed a hospital bag, set up the crib and cradle, washed all the newborn stuff and started cooking double portions of meals to freeze for later.  Doc has my due date down wrong somehow, and she went to China for three weeks, so I won't see her again until late next week, but I feel like I may go into labor before then.  Every time I walk very much at all, I start having contractions.  That (the beginning of the 37th week) is when I had my last DD.   Anyway, the doc was wanting to do another ultrasound to see that the baby's head and shoulders aren't getting too big because of the gestational diabetes, and she'd also mentioned me coming in twice a week until delivery to monitor the baby's response to stimulus to make sure he/she is healthy.  I don't think the baby is too big... at all... it is tall, but doesn't feel big at all.  I am smaller now than I was at 5 months pregnant with either of the girls.  My guess is just over five pounds right now.  I also have a suspicion that the baby is still in a transverse position instead of head-down... it just feels different than it did with the girls.  I've done a pretty good job regulating the blood sugar for the most part, and am getting impatient with craving fruit and other stuff I can't eat right now.   :-\  Be glad when this little one gets here!!  Also, I'll be glad to find out if it is a girl or a boy... it's been kind of fun being surprised this time around. 

ScottA

I'm guessing boy. Hang in there he'll be wanting to borrow the car before you know it.

Homegrown Tomatoes

That could be a good idea to pass the time... anyone else want to make a bet on whether it is a girl or boy?  FWIW, my grandma is convinced it is a boy because I've carried it so differently than I carried the girls.  And she is way partial to the boys in the family... :-\

the only thing is (and she doesn't know this) if it is a girl, we are thinking of naming it after my grandma, which would tickle her pink.

muldoon

packing bags, cooking and freezing dinners, cleaning baby stuff, and getting the nursery ready is exactly what my wife did in the last 2 weeks as well with both of our children.  Amazing how that last burst of energy goes to "getting ready" around the house for the new baby, especially considering how miserable you poor mommas feel that last month.  For what it's worth I would guess boy as well, if your body feels different it might be because things are different. 

Just a question, if your craving fruit it's quite likely your bodies way of telling you that you need the nutrients that are within the fruit.  I picked up on the diabetes comment and understand sugar levels..  however, it seems like nutrients should trump that to some degree.  Is it really that big of a concern?

StinkerBell

If the baby comes soon, it will be a girl...If he decides to hang around the womb, it will be a boy!

lol

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: muldoon on April 16, 2008, 07:39:26 PM
packing bags, cooking and freezing dinners, cleaning baby stuff, and getting the nursery ready is exactly what my wife did in the last 2 weeks as well with both of our children.  Amazing how that last burst of energy goes to "getting ready" around the house for the new baby, especially considering how miserable you poor mommas feel that last month.  For what it's worth I would guess boy as well, if your body feels different it might be because things are different. 

Just a question, if your craving fruit it's quite likely your bodies way of telling you that you need the nutrients that are within the fruit.  I picked up on the diabetes comment and understand sugar levels..  however, it seems like nutrients should trump that to some degree.  Is it really that big of a concern?
Yes, a very big concern as fruit raises my blood sugar tremendously, which causes the baby's blood sugar to go up as well, and can cause them to be severely hypoglycemic at birth, as well as causing very large birth weights.  My great grandma was diabetic and didn't know it, and so my grandma and one of her siblings were both huge at birth.  Grandma set records as being the largest baby ever born alive in Ofuskee county, and she weighed over 14 lbs.  She had a brother who died during labor who weighed over 16 lbs.  Not only that, not controlling blood sugar of the mom during the pregnancy can cause some other problems for the baby, including heart problems, etc.  It's only a month left, so I can stave off the cravings by eating a salad with a few tomatoes instead. 

MountainDon

Myself I don't believe that having a craving for something means that your body needs whatever that craved item is. I believe  craving has a SIGNIFICANT mental component. If you are used to eating or doing something and it's not available for any reason, you may develop a craving for it.

I would still like to eat ice cream and chocolate brownies like I used to, or have a feast on battered deep fried cod fish, or several links of a good bratwurst sausage, fettuccine smothered in creamy rich alfredo sauce, or a deep dish lasagna made with copious amounts cheeses, and so on. My body certainly does not need me to eat all those on a regular basis, although they would be so very tasty.

I also could say I have a craving for a genuine Cuban cigar once in a while, although that's pretty much passed after some 10 years of total abstinence. I know better than to give in to that one; took too long to give up them and my pipes. I also know I feel better physically being without them.

Maybe I'm not tuned into my body... I do tend to be a nuts and bolts kind of guy, if I can see it, feel it I can understand it.  d*
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

BTW, I'm eating a bowl of assorted frozen berries and a banana right now. I wasn't craving them. I'd rather have the chunk of smoked salmon that's in the fridge, but eating the fruit is better for me.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Okay.. I want to play.

I say girl, 7lb 6oz.  19". 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

StinkerBell

If the baby is early, Girl 8 pounds 17 inches.
If the baby is on time or late, Boy 10 Pounds 19 inches.

However if it is late but girl, early but boy 9 pounds 18 inches.

MountainDon

I'm going to wait for the movie to see how this all turns out...   ::)

glenn kangiser

She's making a video? hmm

I may get queasy. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

The only trouble after the delivery is that you realize there wasn't quite as much work when the baby was still inside  :-\ d*  Just kidding - sounds like you are really ready to have that baby - I remember all the stuff I got done right before having my babies...  and was so ready to get them out!  My youngest was 23 1/2 in/ 9lb 6oz - not super heavy for the length - he was actually pretty skinny - but he was always poking me in the ribs like your little one - would have to push his foot or elbow back in...  having to watch everything you eat would be very hard for me...  I'm not real disciplined & I love breads & fruit...  wow, your great grandma had some BIG kids!  My dad was 11 lbs & I thought that was big...  doesn't sound like you'll have much longer - keep us posted! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Wow... see, I think part of my motivation for being so careful about what I eat is that I'm scared to death to have a big baby... to me, big is anything over 7 lbs.  My first was 6 lbs. 14 oz. and 21 inches long.  My second was 6 lbs. and 10 oz., but only 18 inches long.  Her head seemed huge, and she was a lot chubbier than my first... I thought she was going to kill me.  It took about six months after she was born to feel like a human being again, so it was a good thing that she was a really good baby and easy to take care of.  (The first one was much easier to give birth to (probably less than three hours in labor), but much harder to raise thus far! ;)  ) 

And don't worry, Glenn.  No videos!  But I'll post a picture of the baby after he/she is born and we get back home. 

Hardly slept a wink last night... should've gotten up and moved to the easy chair.  Finally about 4:30 this morning, DH said, "When are you ever going to go to sleep?"  I didn't realize that I was keeping him awake too, tossing and turning.  He needs to put some fat on his body so that he can stay warmer at night... I was suffocating because the house was downright hot, but he had two quilts pulled up to his chin.  He pitched a fit when I tried to turn on the ceiling fan, so I threw all the blankets and quilts over on his side of the bed and tried to just cope with the sweat! :P

Sassy

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on April 17, 2008, 10:10:18 AM

Hardly slept a wink last night... should've gotten up and moved to the easy chair.  Finally about 4:30 this morning, DH said, "When are you ever going to go to sleep?"  I didn't realize that I was keeping him awake too, tossing and turning.  He needs to put some fat on his body so that he can stay warmer at night... I was suffocating because the house was downright hot, but he had two quilts pulled up to his chin.  He pitched a fit when I tried to turn on the ceiling fan, so I threw all the blankets and quilts over on his side of the bed and tried to just cope with the sweat! :P

And to think HG, you'll get to experience that again in a few more years & it won't be because you are pregnant!   :P d*  What women have to go through...  and men wonder why they can't understand them  ??? [noidea' heh
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Oh boy!  The things we get to look forward to. 

My mom is pestering me to death to know when my doctor is going to do the ultrasound she wanted to do because she thinks she might get to find out the baby's gender.  I keep telling her that she is just going to check the size of the head and shoulders, but mom is about to drive me nuts.  The doc said she was going to do it at 36 weeks, which would be next week, but then she has my due date down wrong and so probably won't do it until 37... or she'll opt to do it during my next appointment, and mom won't get any advance notice (I'm kind of hoping, not because I'm mean, but because if we aren't going to find out the baby's gender until it is born, it is none of her business, either.  ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Woohoo.  Had to run somewhere for a few minutes this morning and happened to pass a yard sale sign.  We kind of need a place to put the baby clothes (so I don't have to dig through a plastic tub every time he/she needs a change of clothes) and lo and behold, someone had a little changing table/wardrobe combo at the yardsale for next to nothing.  I bought it (looks brand new) and the two gals having the yard sale helped me tie it in the back of the truck.  Unfortunately I had to unload it by myself.  I barely got it inside the garage door and DH can help me get it the rest of the way in later this weekend!  Glad I didn't have to pay full price for it, anyway. 

tanya

Congratulations on your yard sale find.  Get plenty of rest now, it will be harder after your baby is born.  I went a month over due with my daughter and I am convinced it was because we never had a moment of peace at my house, my ex plays guitar and had a band.... they liked to practice at my house.  Lay on the couch, sleep in and rest up that is the way to have a baby early or on time.  Once you get enough rest the baby is ready.  Good luck I think you are having a boy.  Boys are more demanding when they are babies because they eat more but they can chop wood and stuff like that when they are older so it is fine.  Girls tend to eat less but they like to know you are close and ready to help whenever they need it.  Maybe you will have the baby the same day your doctor comes home from vacation that is waht I did with my last one and that is what my daughter did with my beautiful granddaughter.  Soon it will be over and you will feel so much better and you have help coming so just hang in there as long as you can.  Rest a lot.   
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Think the baby has grown quite a bit in the past few days... I didn't think it was possible to stretch out anymore, but today even one of my bigger maternity shirts didn't want to cover the waistband on the pants.  And every time I'd sit down, it was like the baby was making a concious effort to pull the waistband of the pants down below my belly.  It would start this rolling motion downward and then all the sudden the elastic waist would just pop down below the belly.  Kind of entertaining for DH and the kids.  Not so funny to me!!

ScottA

That's why they invented dresses HG.  d*

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D  Probably would be much more ladylike, I'm sure.  But I don't know with the way the wind is blowing these days. ::)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Did I mention that you sunburn more easily when you're pregnant?  I am pretty dark so I hardly ever sunburn, but I guess the combination of being in cold cloudy Wisconsin all winter combined with the strong sunshine on Saturday, and the tops of my shoulders are a little pink.  Not really sore, so it'll probably turn brown eventually.  Plus the trees that are left after this winter's ice aren't fully leafed out yet, so a lot of places that we would usually be in the shade weren't so shady this time around.   d*  Could've all been solved if I'd just worn a t-shirt and perfected my farmer's tan instead of wearing that tank top.  I should know this because I did the same thing once before when I was pregnant with DD #2... 

Just as an observation, I have to say that I think a lot of young people these days must not own a mirror.  When we were swimming the other day, this girl in her mid-twenties came walking up to the swimming area.  She wasn't pregnant, but her belly was nearly as fat as mine and sported a neon green belly-button ring, and she had another piercing... i don't know what to call it?  A "cleavage" ring?  poking out from what must be a rather inconvenient location to pierce something.  She was wearing a tank top that basically consisted of a bra with a few shreds of fabric dangling from it, exposing her entire belly.  Then, the paired it with the too-tight, hip-hugging pants and a blue hairdo.  She had a little boy about my second DD's age, and I thought, "Oh, my gosh, this kid is going to think she's normal."  Her friend, who was also heavy-set, was wearing a much more modest outfit, but I really have to wonder... are people so worried about "self-esteem" that they don't have the guts to tell their friends/family members how absolutely ridiculous they look?  DH was thoroughly grossed-out by her clothes and thought she should have been charged with indecent exposure.  I told him that instead of calling the law, he'd be better off going to wal-mart and buying her a mirror... surely she must not own one!  Anyway, gotta wonder what goes through their heads when they pick out the clothes they're going to wear...

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, my cousin who was due about one week before me delivered a 7 lb. 14 oz. baby boy this morning.  (I think her due date was May 6th?)  First boy in 15 years in the family.  My grandma called me again to remind me that she thinks I'll have a boy, too, and to ask if my feet were swelling up because of the humidity today.   ::)  I think the baby's feet are somewhere up near my shoulder blades and I wish I could sleep.   :P  I get see the doc on Thursday morning, so maybe after that I'll have a better idea when this one will get here.  Spent two hours locked out of the house today in the front yard feeling like an idiot.  I only lock my keys in the house (or the car) when I'm pregnant.  Both times it has happened, I have been at least 8 months pregnant.  This was a little better than last time though because I locked the keys in the car with it running at the post office and ended up having to crawl through the back of the truck and over the seats... this time I just sat on the stoop looking sheepish until my husband came home from work. 

glenn kangiser

Time for the little magnetic key holder under the fender, Homey.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, at our old place, all there was was a dead bolt lock, which had to be locked from the outside anyway... pretty darn hard to lock yourself out unless you went out the back door (which we did while we were moving in there, and then sent my husband's best friend up the roof gables and into the kids' bedroom window which we'd left open so the paint could dry.)  I hope I don't have to live in town long enough to do this a second time.  I could've called the leasing company, but they've been such a pain, I didn't want to. :-[  The kids didn't belly ache.  They ran a little water out of the garden spigot and spent the two hours seeing how long their wet footprints would last on the hot pavement.