Smoking to affect movie ratings system

Started by youngins, May 12, 2007, 01:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

youngins

I especially cring at the quote "Clearly, smoking is increasingly an unacceptable behavior in our society,"

Isn't smoking a choice? I don't smoke, but still - I believe it goes along with all the other everyday decisions we make about our lives.

Next, somebody is going to suggest smoking contributes to global warming.
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

MountainDon

Oh criminy!!  ::)
Whereas I don't smoke and I don't like cigarette smoke near me, I don't think we need this. More and more people don't smoke in this country. So let's just reduce the smoking characters in films to reflect the general population use, but let's do it with common sense, not regulations.

There's no telling where it will stop, what other behavior the movie police will find undesirable.

I am a reformed pipe smoker of 22 years. I have to admit I found my health to improve... almost no sinus or other respiratory infections since I stooped.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

youngins

Before you know it - there will be a separate rating for those movies with weapons in it, and so on.
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

fourx

I don't know about you folk, but here there is  a vast army of prissy Government rule-enforcing seatwarmers and a list of film classifications a mile long, such as "" occasional violent themes"" and ""parental guidance reccomended""-
I'll post the list if you want to get depressed.
Regulation is a growth industry here in the Leningrad of the South..want to ride a bicycle or a motor bike without a helmet? Smoke inside a public building? Drive without a seatbelt? Fit a toilet that isn't duel-flush? Get ready for a big fine. That Crocidile Dundee stuff is all a myth, like Fosters beer consumption is.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

glenn kangiser

We have an overabundance of jack-booted thugs also.

My personal favorite is the porta-potties.

QuoteWarning - It is a federal offense to dump materials deemed hazardous into this toilet.  You could be subject to a fine of $2000  per day and time in prison  for for dumping hazardous materials in this facility.

DO YOU THINK I'M GONNA TELL ANYBODY I JUST DUMPED A GIANT LOAD IN THERE??????

Not on you life --

Uhhhhh --- I was gonna use it but it was just air ---that's it --- just fresh air.  Nope - wasn't me --- someone else did that.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fourx

"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

fishing_guy

My lovely state of Minnesota is in the process of passing a law to outlaw indoor smoking.  They have actually written it into the law "To PERMIT smoking in private homes".

That is right, now we need a law to allow someone to do something IN THE PRIVACY OF THEIR OWN HOME.

If I didn't love fishing so much, I'ld high tail it out of this land of 10,000 lakes.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.