Scaling down the 1 1/2 story

Started by BigMish, June 21, 2007, 04:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

I've got a set of the 1 /1/2 story cottage. It turns out I'm going to begin with a much smaller structure than I originally planed, something closer to the 14'x24' of the little cottage. My question is this: can I just follow the 1 /12 story plans and simple change the dimensions as needed or will this affect the engineering to greatly? Obviously, I'd like to avoid buying another set of plans and it seems straight forward enough.

Thanks, M

John Raabe

Yes... you could just reduce the basic dimensions and scale down the 1 1/2 story. You can also reduce the size of the structural members (joists and rafters) with a span chart.

If you don't need complete drawings for a permit you could come up with several different configurations and floor plans that way.

Let us see what you come up with! If you do some well worked up floor plans in 3DHA or BH&G Home Designer I will post them on PlanHelp and give you an initial free membership. I'll do a structural commentary to such a plan and make it available to others for their own modifications.

PS - anyone else can take me up on this offer as well. Mark Chenail (a member here) is also a PlanHelp member designer with a series of Dog Trot designs that can be downloaded and modified. See: http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1161798395 for more info.

email: plans@planhelp.com
overview of process and programs: http://www.planhelp.com/public/92.cfm
None of us are as smart as all of us.

BigMish

I'll probobly do the floor layout in Viseo and the 3D in SketchUp. Can you point me twords a "span chart"?

Thanks, M

John Raabe

This underutilized tool will search all of the CountryPlans site. It is on almost every page and the last button on the header of the forum.

Mik

I was also wondering about this, but on an even smaller scale!

My wife and I are planning to raze the old rotten rabbit barn and put in a 12 x 18 from the Little House plans for use as a potter's studio and storage building (and experience for later building projects) - and we'd like to raise the loft up with kneewalls, mimicking the proportions listed in the Optional Raised Roof at Loft for 14' Wide Cabin description from the Enchilada plan set.

Would we be safe using fireblocked 2x6-12' balloon framed walls, following the dimensions from the 14' plans? I don't mind overbuilding, since most of the structures on this hilltop were *underbuilt* and we're paying the price now.

Thanks!
=M

glenn kangiser

I don't see why that would be any problem.  The semi-balloon framing is used by a lot of people.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Yes, that same detail (as shown for the 14' wide) would work fine for the 12' span. You will want to use 2x6 framing if you will be notching for the ledger.