Removing Bark from Wood

Started by BigDave, September 11, 2015, 04:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

???
Now I did see an area where many people stated ways to remove bark from trees, however I am thinking smaller scale. Not to long ago I started making canes and walking sticks, so I need a way to remove bark from them without destroying the wood. For the moment it is a pain staking task to remove the bark using a pocket knife or something larger.

I know there must be some type of chemical for removing bark but I have yet to find it.. I was thinking about possibly using "muriatic acid" I did use this for some time when I was younger to remove dirt and grime from dives and walks even from basements and garages, yet the people at Lowe's and home depot are clueless about weather or not it would work to remove bark without hurting the wood.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.   d*

Redoverfarm

With that small of diameter wood I doubt that any mechanical means is possible.  Timing is the key.  The harvest time of your material is your best bet.  Meaning in the early spring when the sap is rising results the best time to remove bark.  Winter is if you want the bark to remain on the wood.  Maybe a smaller drawknife but you could lose most of the unique character of the piece.

The acid is for stone, concrete and the like.  Never heard of the wood use.

MushCreek

+1 on the timing. I made some hickory walking sticks, and the bark just peeled off in the spring, freshly cut. I imagine some species are easier than others, too. I've also made some with tight bark that I removed with a spoke shave, leaving some of the bark in spots.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

+2... springtime when the bark "slips". I fought the bark off some nice cherry last weekend with drawknife, chisels and slick. When the cells in the cambium are actively dividing, half the division becomes bark, half becomes wood, that is when the bark is loose.
I do recall mention in log building circles of a chemical, maybe try one of the suppliers like Schroeder's  ???

Redoverfarm

An after thought (senior moment) if you are using rather small sticks there might be a possibility of soaking them in a water bath for a couple days which might help loosen or make the bark more pliable.  Just a thought.  ???

MountainDon

I had the same thought as John. Cut the wood and store in a water bath. Then get busy and remove it all before the wood begins to dry. Do it all in spring, early summer to be used throughout the later part of the year.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Spring is best time.  This winter hunt around for a couple spokeshaves in the tool catalogs or on line.  Then there is a couple other things you might keep an eye out for that would be cabinet scrappers.  They are extremely handy.  There is a couple great videos on using them like on youtube if you never been around them. They come in several degrees of curls and flats that might be just what you need to get those small chunks of bark and to draw out those marks you do not want.   

Lee Valley Tools does a lot of mail order - internet business.  If you have a Woodcrafters Store check there.  They also mail order and internet. 

As far as chemicals and acids - I would stay clear away form them.  As Redoverfarm says soak them in good old water. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

Adam Roby

You can learn so much more than just cabin building on this site... every thread seems to spawn another internet search that opens up a whole world of other ideas and things to think about.