We have hit # 1 spot.

Started by Redoverfarm, September 06, 2015, 07:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I really didn't have to look this up because it is all too common here in the Mountain State.  I guess I have claimed about 3, wife about 3 and my son 1.  I try to get home before dark normally.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/autoinsurance/the-states-where-you%e2%80%99re-most-likely-to-hit-a-deer/ss-AAdNXLJ#image=21

Adam Roby

I am shocked at how often I have to slam on the brakes up at my land as well.  There are massive fields where you can often see a dozen deer off in the distance grazing.  But at least a few times per season you've be surprised by one jumping out in front of you.

I wonder if those old deer whistles actually work... have had too many close calls myself.

Did it scrap any of your vehicles or cause anyone any injuries?
Hitting a moose can be as fatal for the car and driver as it is for the moose.

rick91351

Quote from: Adam Roby on September 06, 2015, 07:26:50 AM
I am shocked at how often I have to slam on the brakes up at my land as well.  There are massive fields where you can often see a dozen deer off in the distance grazing.  But at least a few times per season you've be surprised by one jumping out in front of you.

I wonder if those old deer whistles actually work... have had too many close calls myself.

Did it scrap any of your vehicles or cause anyone any injuries?
Hitting a moose can be as fatal for the car and driver as it is for the moose.

Actually they did or maybe did not. But I knew a lot of people that put them on there bumper and seemed to not have any more trouble.  Or they had already weeded out the dumb ones.   

Then there is the story

A lot of deer get hit by cars west of Crown Point on U.S. 231. There are too many cars to have the deer crossing here. The deer crossing sign needs to be moved to a road with less traffic.

- Tim Abbott, Crown Point

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/deercrossing.asp#RakDJzvYi1qzXW5K.99
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

I guess all in all it was a couple of bumpers, hood ,a few grills and headlights.  Thank goodness for comprehensive coverage.  No one is exempt. My insurance agent got one on the way to work a week or so ago.

In regards to the "whistle" I really think they do work to an extent.  Had them installed on my company vehicle as well as others in this area and the strikes were down.   But the key is to keep them flushed out (bugs) to make them work correctly.

Always bring to mind this little video. Probably not real but there are some of them out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3MoxlCaJ4

Don_P

Kinda makes me wish there was another question or two on the drivers test  :D

MountainDon

I'm afraid I could believe there are people like that around    [scared]

Though NM as a whole rates as low risk, the northern part of NM is on a par with CO (medium risk) I'd say.   

We have almost as many elk, which are even worse to hit (bigger).  Actually have more elk hunt licenses issued than deer; 4 to 3 deer approx.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.