Take a looksee!

Started by Chuckca, February 09, 2006, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

This home was featured on Nightline last night.  Kinda kewl.....!

http://www.rocioromero.com/home.htm

What are your thoughts?

FrankInWI

;D That building is about as warm and inviting as a toilet seat!  

glenn-k

I'd say don't forget to change the filter and grease the u-joints --- it is a 60's service station---right?  :P

Chuckca

We have a gas station theme running - lube / oil and a toilet seat!   :)

Jared

benevolance

Lube, oil, toilet...reminds me of some wild girlfriends from my sorted past ;)

peg_688

QuoteLube, oil, toilet...reminds me of some wild girlfriends from my sorted past ;)

[highlight]TMI[/highlight] ,  benevolance  :o :o (To Much Information ) ;D

joe_landscaper

modern design, ya right. I'll stay in the past. :-/

Chuckca

I didn't post this as an endoresement....I'm a "John" boy forever.  It's interesting to see what other's are designing and what's available.  I didn't order one  :)

glenn-k

Well, Chuck,------ like -- to be with the in crowd-------, sometimes you have to pretend things are cool. :)

tjm73

I like the concept, don't like the execution.  I love the windows and the openness.

The kitchen despiratly needs woodden cabinets and to loose the restaurant rack storage too.  While stainless sounds like a goo didea for kitchen counter top it doesn't work well in a residence.  Not for me.

The whole place looks very sterile.  Hardwood floors, some wooden furniture and carpet would go along way to transforming that building into a pretty cool home.

Make those changes, then change the exterior to a wooden siding kind of thing and drop it on a wooded lot over looking a valley or lake.

tjm73

hobbiest

Quotetransforming that building into a pretty cool home.

Make those changes, then change the exterior to a wooden siding kind of thing and drop it on a wooded lot over looking a valley or lake.

Don't forget to then put a gabled 12in12 roof on it, add a little porch and call it John's story and 1/2! :)

Epiphany

I like the camp idea better, but with cedar siding.  Could be started as a studio - very easy building with shed roof - then added on to as time and money permitted.

spinnm

We talked about these last year.  Think the thread was on kit homes or maybe modern architecture.

I like it.  Don't think I could live in it, but it's appealing.  Think I like the Glide Houses a little better.  But, there's a lack of contemporary architecture out there in a prefab house.

Does kinda look like a 60s gas station....which would be a very cool house conversion. ;D

Doug_Martin

QuoteI like it.  Don't think I could live in it, but it's appealing.

I'm glad to see others supporting modern architecture.   Sitting here in the quaintest New England village that you can imagine I'm beset on all sides by people who think everything should look like it was built in 1838.  I think the job of a modern architect is difficult because (as my London-based architect brother-in-law would say) they don't have a large shared vocabulary with the public.  Just a pretentious way of saying it doesn't give you warm fuzzies because it doesn't look like Grandma's house.

The design featured above is not that appealing to me personally but I've seen beautiful modern architecture in London and Berlin but not so much in America -- we seem to all be regressing back into 1838 mode  :'(.

As a final note -- I think everyone here would be interested in The Rural Studio (http://www.ruralstudio.com/).  They do some very interesting work in modern small buildings and all for a good cause.

glenn-k

Rural Studio is cool.  More my style. :)

Amanda_931

I keep wondering what Rural Studio graduates are actually doing out in "the real world."

And how it's really going after Mockbee's death.  There is a second book out, post Mockbee.

Amanda_931

Then there's the Wigglesworth house (and office)--in this link as Stock Orchard Street.

I was crushed to learn that what looked like gabion basket piers in part of it were phony--there was a steel post in there.

But it does have earthbags, and straw bale (exposed with a polycarbonate cover), and most everything, including a kitchen sink.

Haven't looked at the "invisible house" pictures yet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,,512969,00.html

jwv

Thanks for the Rural Studio link-great blending of styles. And, while I love the eclectic look and have also been draw to more traditional architecture, I can appreciate the more modern.  In fact, the older I get the less "stuff" I want to have around me.  It just creates clutter, both physical and psychological.  I want to be to know where everything I own is and put my hands on it if needed.  If I can't do those things then get rid of it. Perhaps dealing with my aging mother's "stuff" has impacted my feeling-she kept a bunch of stuff, and not just important stuff-directions for things, envelopes from bills, advertisements, Oy!

Suffice to say, the new place will be as clutter free as I can get it.

judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche