Crawlspace foundation height

Started by Yetanothermike, April 09, 2006, 06:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yetanothermike

Hi John,

I recently ordered your plans for a 1 1/2 story cottage and so far am very impressed with the level of thought that goes into them.  Reading them has been a low-cost education in home design and structure.

I am looking for a local architect in order to help me make some adaptations and to get stamps for California's seismic and energy compliance standards, but I have a quick question that I thought you may be able to help me with.

I intend to build a full perimeter crawlspace foundation as specified on page 1/C of your plans. I would like to make the foundation wall considerably taller than the 8" minimum that you specify.  I'm thinking 20" from the outside soil to the top of the wall, but I was wondering whether making a taller foundation wall raises any issues that I should take into account.

Many thanks in advance,

-Mike

John Raabe

Mike:

No, in general UBC and IRC codes would not require any modification of that foundation detail for the taller wall you are requesting. As the walls get closer to becoming a basement and are resisting outside backfill pressures then horizontal and vertical reinforcement are normally called out. Such a "full basement foundation" is shown only in my Universal Cottage plans.

A two foot high crawlspace would not normally need this however.

Since you will be having an engineering review for local seismic loads, there may be some extra hold-downs and perhaps some additional rebar called out for the foundation. These items are unlikely to add greatly to the cost.
None of us are as smart as all of us.