20x 30 1 1/2 story- in Lac-Des-Plages, Quebec

Started by sharbin, May 30, 2008, 10:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie-guy

I had the same reservations when I was framing my 1 1/2 story cabin. I need to update my pics but the framing ones are under "1 1/2 story in Okla." I put 2 X 12's as roof rafters and so I was able to double the knee walls. (see post). Also I put rafter ties 7 feet above the floor and have enclosed them with sheet rock with recessed lights. I also tried the post which was a basement jack to relieve side pressures. I think that 2 X12's are an overkill in Oklahoma with little snow , but it did give me a lot of space for insulation! I did not khow about the rafters having "crowns" on them and reversed 2  so I have 2 wavy parts of my deck which is not that noticable to everyone but me. Be sure to keep the crowns up. Good luck and I will update my pics soon. Mine is a long term project that I work on part time. I'm laying tile in the main room now. Good Luck with your project.

Woodswalker

In the early 90's, while building a home in S. Mpls, I and a neighbor in his 80's raised a 37' wall that had two 6', double glu-lam headers and was sheathed with 5/8" plywood.  Couldn't find any wall-jacks to rent, so did it with a couple of rented chain hoists.  Placed a couple of used, large wood beams vertically in the excavation outside the block foundation and attached the hoists about 10' above the deck and ran chains down to the top of the wall, lying on the deck.  Installed blocking on the exterior of the deck edge to keep the wall from slipping off while raising it, and pre-installed braces at each end that were ready to be nailed solid as soon as the wall was up to keep it from tipping out or back in.  Told Bill to be careful and slow in working the hoist, and to run like H..... if he heard or saw any problems with the wall going up.  Was a very dangerous process, but it went well.  Would not want to repeat the maneuver again.  On a site like yours, where trees are close-by, one can mount a snatch-block pulley up a tree and run a rope or cable over it to a vehicle and pull a wall up that way.  More recently out here in WA, I watched a friend pull down several large doug-fir trees using pulleys, cables, and an old bus.  Had to first have a young guy climb each tree about 2/3 up to attach the cable high enough.  It's a good method, because not only is the tree down, but the rootball is out.  Of course one has to be real careful judging cable lengths, etc., to keep safe.  A few years back out here, a friend of a friend killed himself on his own property by pulling a snagged tree down with a cable and tractor right onto himself.  Did you consider using your backhoe bucket to raise wall sections?  At my cabin-build, had a guy with a backhoe lift a pre-built outhouse from the back of my pickup and place it right over the pit in a slick process.  Saved me a lot of heavy grunt-work.

Your build is looking great. Thanks for all the nice pics.

Steve

sharbin

Thanks you guys for your input.

MountainDon: You bring a good point. I am building in a rural area that no inspection is required, other than making sure we are not building something different than what we got the licence for. But is it necessary?

WoodsWalker: by the time we got to the third wall we found a way on how to overcome the wall Jack problem; we stopped cranking the wall Jack's lever before the rope reached it's maximum length (left the wall tilted about 70 degrees angle), installed braces on both end of the wall, used a ladder to detach the wall Jack hanger from the top plate, removed the wall jack entirely so that not to crash on the wall when it is all up, then used the braces to finish up the lifting.

sharbin

MountainDon

Quote from: sharbin on August 28, 2008, 03:03:55 PM

MountainDon: You bring a good point. I am building in a rural area that no inspection is required, other than making sure we are not building something different than what we got the license for. But is it necessary?

???  Just how necessary or unnecessary that might be I really am not sure.   ???

Theory would dictate that it is not as rigid without the panel edge blocking as it would be with it. I can say that some areas around here, as well as areas around the country with high seismic potential, high winds, hurricanes, etc. the inspectors do insist on following the provisions of the IRC2003 code which state that structural sheathing edges must be nailed every 6 inches. That can't be effectively done without blocking.

So I don't really know what the real world actual situation is. I was curious to know about your local requirements.

From what I can see if you are going to be placing the bottom panels lapping down over the rim joists and nailing them securely that should impart pretty good stiffness. Horizontal sheets do add more stiffness than vertically placed sheets. You could also block and edge nail the sheets at all the corners. That would add considerable stiffness as well.

Maybe PEG will honor us with his opinion based on years of real world building experience?  Chances are very good that there is really fundamentally nothing bad about your build.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pioneergal

Congratulations on your build!

Isn't it exciting and rewarding?

sharbin

Hi guys,

So I spent 4 days and nights in the woods, alone (remember the movie Cast Away starring Tom Hanks) in which I really looked like....well a woodsman!

Trying to finish off all the walls was not an easy task, so I ended up framing 3 walls sections which completes on side wall (my wife came by to help in raising 2 wall sections and I managed to lift the 3rd one by myself with the help of Jack, wall jack that is  :)). I still have 4 sections to frame that I will be finishing off by the coming weekend.

Redoverfarm

sharbin be careful doing all that by yourself will make an old man out of you. At least that is what my wife tells me.  Good progress.  Sort of slow by yourself isn't it. But peaceful though.  I usually fire myself once a day but re-hire before the next morning.  ;D

glenn kangiser

Looks good for a one man show.  Lots of progress.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OldDog

I did my walls, 36', in one piece.

Then used 8 beer powered wall jack friends! ;D

We didn't get a dancing on the sub floor but we do have one of 6 or 7 golf carts parked on it.
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

MountainDon

Quote from: sharbin on September 02, 2008, 10:03:39 AM

So I spent 4 days and nights in the woods, alone (remember the movie Cast Away starring Tom Hanks) in which I really looked like....well a woodsman!

At least your time in the woods didn't remind of Deliverance.    ;D

Looking good, one man show or not.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sharbin

Hello guys,

Well, the saga continues. So we had a miserable weather this weekend raining heavly almost all days. Nevertheless, I managed to frame 3 walls and raise 2. So what is left is one wall to raise and another to frame and raise and I will be done... for the walls part.

Here are the pictures.

Now the time comes for the ceiling joists on which I have couple of questions that I will raise on the plan support thread.

sharbin

Finally I got all the walls up.
Here are pictures of lifting  the before last section

Last wall is up (did not do the sheathing as I needed it to be flexible enough to squeez it between the 2 wall sections)

This completes all the walls. Here are pictures of all 4 walls

ED: inserted spaces between some pictures for easier viewing - MD

Alasdair

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

That winch looks like the world's biggest fishing pole!

Pretty clever.  It's fun watching your progress.

ScottA

Good job on the walls. I know how it feels to work alone.  d* I haven't fired myself yet though.  ::)

Redoverfarm

Scott like me you will re-hire yourself the next morning if you do.  Shoot who else will you get that works that cheap.

ScottA

Frank Phillips (66) fired his ranch manager over 100 times but always rehired him by the next morning. You think he worked cheap?  ???

Redoverfarm

Either he was really good friends with his wife or had a great secret against the old man.  Probably had nothing to do with money huh.  ;D

Sorry sharbin we will try to behave ourselves in the future.

sharbin

Hi guys,

So I finally got to finish the ceiling last week-end. Next would be the roof. I was hoping to do the roof myslef, but since winter is almost here, I have to finish it ASAP. Considering my pace of progress, I will most probably hire someone to do it  :(

Here are the pictures:

Loft Ceiling construction - with material lift used for....well... lifting

Loft Ceiling Done

Loft Ceiling closer look

Catheral ceiling part - wall edge

Catheral ceiling part - Middle part

Catheral ceiling part - Loft edge part

peteh2833

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

alcowboy

Can you get those black joist hangers and straps at Lowe's or Home Depot? I would like to use those when I get to the exposed floor joists etc.

ScottA

Redoverfarm

Good job sharbin .  Wish I would have had a lift like that in mine stages.  Too late now as the muscle work is over.

sharbin

Thanks guys for the feedback.

alcowboy: Here in Canada, I did not find any brackets in any of the major lumber centers. A company in Quebec fabricates these and distributes them locally. But I think that they would ship as well. Here is their web site: http://mabometal.com/home.php?lang=en