Started by StinkerBell, June 17, 2010, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

If you were given 100K (after taxes that what you had left) what would you do with it?

I would search high and low for the right property here in Texas and make it self sustaining.

What I plan to do now is research that idea and find out how much it would really cost. I have some ideas of certain cost but can this be done on a 100K? (BTW I do not have 100K this is more of a good mental exercise and maybe later a real exercise)

glenn kangiser

It is really not a problem, Stinky, dear. :)

I mean, the placing it in the wrong forum.... the $100k... that could be a problem... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

My pleasure, Stinky. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

LeoinSA

Quote from: StinkerBell on June 17, 2010, 03:36:36 PM
If you were given 100K (after taxes that what you had left) what would you do with it?

I would search high and low for the right property here in Texas and make it self sustaining.

What I plan to do now is research that idea and find out how much it would really cost. I have some ideas of certain cost but can this be done on a 100K? (BTW I do not have 100K this is more of a good mental exercise and maybe later a real exercise)

Between Austin and San Angelo in the E-W direction and between Fredericksburg and Brownwood in the S-N direction that $100K will get you anywhere between 20 and 40 acres - no or minimal buildings/houses.  Want houses/outbuildings?  That $100K will get you an older 14-wide and 7 to 10 acres - or maybe a termite infested 40 year old "cabin". Generally, for that price, my research show that the larger acreages equal more scrubby land.  Smaller acreage equals nicer land.  Higher prices the closer you get to water - river or lake and the closer you get to Austin, Fredericksburg or San Angelo.

We've got a ~600 mile look-see trip planned for this weekend in that very area.  Not looking for anything specific, but just to see if anything looks appealing and worthy of further investigation.

StinkerBell

That 100K would have to include things like alternative energy, septic, well. All those things needed to survive.
A few chickens....Can a person get a small holding up and running for 100K?

bayview

$100k just doesn't get you what it used to . . .

You could probably get setup with a few acres, build a small cabin and be energy efficient for about $100k.  Unfortunately there are hidden expenses that you may not think about.   Taxes, insurance, health care . . .    A fox in the chicken house, a year of drought . . .    Etc, Etc. . .    I don't think that one can truly become "self-sufficient".

You could get by heating with solar and a wood stove.   But what about air conditioning?   It gets hot as you know what, in Texas.   100 degrees today!   Would you berm your home?   Cover it with soil?   

Living a frugal lifestyle, with debts paid and maybe a part time job for the extra expenses would work.   But, you would still want to have a "nest-egg" for when you get older.   

Good property, near metropolitan areas, will sell at a premium.   Of course, living in a rural area would limit jobs.

I think that it is a great goal to achieve.   Being self sufficient.   But, maybe with $250-$300k?.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

StinkerBell

100K just doesnt buy what it use too.

glenn kangiser

Stinky,   A shovel, - about $12.  A roll of plastic.  About $20  The $50 and Up Underground House book.  $19.95.  You would need to scrounge the wood....

bayview

Add an axe for felling trees.   Pick them up used for under $20.00

You would have plenty of wood if you purchase property in N/E Texas.   Some nice wooded properties.    You could use the trees for home construction.   A property with a clearing would work well for your garden.     

Hand digging a well, and building a human manure toilet would save some big bucks!   Maybe an outhouse . . .    Harvest some rain water.   A wood stove for winter heat and cooking.   An outside stove for summer cooking . . .      Bury some PVC pipe for an energy saving heat exchanger for summer cooling.   An inexpensive solar panel with storage batteries would supply electric for lighting and fans.   Propane or kerosene could be back-ups for heat and light.

Canning your fruits, vegetables, meat will stock your pantry for the winter.    Surplus produce could be sold or bartered.   You would have some money for taxes and other expenses. . .

An automobile is a big expense with the maintenance and insurance.   I would look for properties within walking distance to town.   

I still don't know what one would do in a medical emergency though . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

glenn kangiser

Is there such a thing as land with a spring or creek in Texas?

StinkerBell

I know that water rights are a big thing here in Texas. And it appears most properties sold have a disclosure that the water and mineral rights are owned by previous owners.

glenn kangiser

That would be a real can of worms for me.  Not that I have them.... [waiting]

StinkerBell

Hmmmmm sounds like you're in denial of your worm issue.

glenn kangiser

Ummm, Stinky... You just reminded me of my dog....  [idea]

Not you actually, that reminded me of my dog...... [waiting]

I meant that you just made me think of my dog......  [crz]

Her name is Princeless.......

Her name used to be Princess but when she got fixed and not in need of a boyfriend her name morphed into Princeless....  :o

But since she always acts rather stuck up and sophisticated we figured she needed a pedigree name... you know... Like.. to go with her high class name,

so we gave her a full pedigree name too..... [noidea'

Princeless of De Nile.... [ouch]

StinkerBell

I think you are thinking GI tract whereas I was thinking garden......:whistle

MushCreek

$100K would be just perfect. I've already got the land: and that's very close to what I need to build a barn and a small house. Thank-you, and, oh by-the-way, When can I expect the check?
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

StinkerBell

It's in the mail MC

glenn kangiser

Then I really do have worms, Stinky.... [waiting]

Garden variety I'll admit to, and I know where they are too....