'Rainwater Harvesting' by Brad Lancaster

Started by dug, June 07, 2011, 10:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

I used to live near Brad when I was in Tucson. It was amazing to see the transformation of his dry barren lot into a productive, lush oasis using nearly 100% rainwater. I think anyone owning property in arid lands would do well to read his book (there is a volume 1,2 and 3) and employ some or all of the techniques he describes. I just finished volume one and can't wait to start digging and berming so I can "farm" water that has been previously running off my land.

One thing I found interesting is that cisterns, though good and useful, are a mere drop in the bucket compared to the water your soil can hold underground.

Phiri Maseko, a fellow from Zimbabwe who was eloquently quoted in Brad's book said "before you plant trees, you must plant water". Wise words in many respects.

A short primer for the video inclined-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Ku_xpyLK4

Windpower

Excellent, dug

I am getting ideas for the farm already.
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Squirl

Wow.  That was great.  That was presented in a simple way of an idea I never thought about.  One of the immediate things that ran through my mind was a natural way to harvest rain in an area where the laws might prohibit traditional cisterns.

Thank you for sharing.

peternap

interesting video dug.
I suppose we are blessed in Virginia because we have plenty of water. I have several freshwater springs and 2 1/4 miles riverfront and all that water is mine for the taking.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Native_NM

Just do it on the sly, because in much of the southwest it is actually illegal to harvest rainwater; certain states or municipalities have sold their water rights, which include runoff, to somebody else.  The next wars will be fought over water. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

dug

QuoteThe next wars will be fought over water

That does seem an inevitable eventuality. I think it will probably be some time yet before folks will be banned from landscaping their property to prevent erosion and runoff though. I hope.

Ajax

Quote from: Native_NM on June 07, 2011, 09:14:30 PM
Just do it on the sly, because in much of the southwest it is actually illegal to harvest rainwater; certain states or municipalities have sold their water rights, which include runoff, to somebody else.  The next wars will be fought over water.  

I believe it's only illegal in Colorado and Utah, and think the the Colorado law has been modified recently.

New construction in the US Virgin Islands requires RW harvesting
Ajax .... What an ass.
muldoon

Squirl

I know it is illegal, but the method seems like it would subvert many definitions of traditional water catchment.  I would love to see the language of the actual law and the case law interpretations to see if his method would conform.