10X14 Mini-Cabin in Charlestown N.H.

Started by Woodsrule, April 19, 2008, 07:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsrule

At the risk of sounding dumb, ??? what a soil or termite bridge? Thanks, Tony

MountainDon

The proper term would be termite tube. Termites need to be sheltered when moving from soil to building. They build mud tubes or tunnels.  Links have some pictures...

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/termites/#tubes

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef604.asp

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

nasmeyer

Thanks for posting your pics Woodsrule, the cabin looks great! Just about the style and size as I would like to build this summer. Please post more pics as you finish out the interior. I have a couple of questions for you,

How did you build the deck, it looks like you have vapor barrier, paper, and one or two sheets of plywood?

Did you use 2x6 or 2x8 for rafters?

It looks like your siding overlaps your joists by 4 inches or so, I assume your T-111 sheets were left at 8' to eliminate cutting, what length are your wall studs?

This question may be answered as well by others too, is there any consideration that should be given to build a cabin with a gable end facing into a typical northern wind hoping to distribute a more even snow load on both sides of a roof? (as opposed to facing gable ends east and west and creating a heavier "drift" on the south side of a roof)

Thanks again for posting the pics.

dmlsr

place looks great. keep up the good work
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

Woodsrule

Thanks Nasmeyer, we built the deck with double rim joists and 2x6's 16" on center, followed with a vapor barrier and tarpaper.  There is one layer of 3/4 plywood on top and soon we will have another layer of tarpaper on that, then the finished floor. My rafters are 2x6 (plenty strong, according to the neighbor who is a framer) and we roofed with tarpaper and 25 year shingles with eave and ridge vents.  We did leave the T-111 8' long so we could overlap and not have to cut any; you are observent.  Our studs were kept at 8' so that we would have room in the loft to stand, but this was a compromise in headroom in the cabin.  We're rather "vertically challenged", so the 6'3" ceiling height in the cabin is not an issue. As far as the roof is concerned, no snow accumulates due to the pitch, and since Charlestown suffered the snowiest winter in decades this year, and no problems were encountered, I suggest that the 2x6s are plenty big enough. Oh, dmlsr- thanks for the compliment.

Mountain Don, thanks for the links - I will check them out in depth.  Thanks all, Tony

dmlsr

do you have any pic's and info on the out house???

Dave
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

Woodsrule

Hey dmlsr,

I do not have any pics of the outhouse, but will include them in my next posting.  We built the outhouse at home and trailered it up to N.H. in sections. It was made with 5/4 x6 decking that my friend tried to burn when he built a new deck with plastic wood.  We dug the hole about 5 1/2 deep and put lime in the hole each time we use it, so there is NO smell whatsoever.  I will take some pics soon and load them here, hopefully by next week.  Take care, Tony 8)

John_M

Quote from: Woodsrule on April 29, 2008, 12:07:17 PM
Hey dmlsr,

I do not have any pics of the outhouse, but will include them in my next posting.  We built the outhouse at home and trailered it up to N.H. in sections. It was made with 5/4 x6 decking that my friend tried to burn when he built a new deck with plastic wood.  We dug the hole about 5 1/2 deep and put lime in the hole each time we use it, so there is NO smell whatsoever.  I will take some pics soon and load them here, hopefully by next week.  Take care, Tony 8)

A friend of mine puts in buttermilk or sometimes a huge container of plain yogurt.  This adds bacteria to help speed up the composting.  Never has a problem with odor!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Woodsrule

Hey John_M - I never heard of the buttermilk or yogurt idea, but seems to make sense to me.  Those items are breeding grounds for bacteria and a logical conclusion would be that they would speed up the break-down of material.  Good tip! Thanks, Tony [cool]

Redoverfarm

Use soured or spoiled milk in my septic system about once a month or so. Just leave a large glass of milk out until it sours and pour it down the drain.

Woodsrule

Redoverfarm,  I will use your suggestion as I have priced those "miracle" products that seem to be a scam. Tony >:(

glenn kangiser

We have used the Miracle Products and totally plugged things up and had to have it pumped.

Pumper said it was not a problem though.  It was his bread and butter. d*

hmm  Hmm  -- Bread and butter and Curds and whey -- we almost have a meal here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jared Drake

I've got a question that I hope doesn't offend: How much have you got in this cabin so far, materials only? I'm not talking land or well or anything like that. Just what you'd buy at the lumber yard, window store, etc. Thanks
Jared

Woodsrule

Jared, far as I can estimate we have spent about $3500.00. That includes concrete, framing lumber, insulation, roofing, windows and doors, interior paneling, handicap ramp and small deck, electrical panel and wiring, in the wall heater and a few other incidentals.  The only expense left is the flooring, which I estimate to be about 300 bucks.  If you have any specific questions about what I paid, just ask and I will reply if I can remember!  Take care, Tony ;D

nasmeyer

Woodsrule, have you had any issues with a ridge vent used in a high snowload area such as yours? does your ridge vent only vent the roof through the soffit vents, or do you somehow vent the interior though the ridge? Please feel free to post any finished interior photos if you have them.

DirtyLittleSecret

I too would be interested in seeing more photos!
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

mattcampbell

The cabin looks great! Can't wait to see some interior pics.

Yes they are called mud tubes - you can find some info & pics on them here: http://www.getridoftermites.net

yankeeredneck

Great looking cabin. Im orginally from the Claremont, NH....just down the road from you. Matter of fact, I have family in Charlestown. If you go to Morningside Garage......tell Steve and Cidy that their newphew said hi.   Cant wait to see more pics as they come. That yankee inginuity comes in handy.
K.I.S.S.---Keep It Simple Stupid

325ABN