Youngins' Playhouse

Started by youngins, March 15, 2007, 10:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Screws are probably OK here, but keep in mind that they break - shear  easier than nails and are not approved for some uses in the code- per a friend of mine when I used them somewhere.

Sassy

whew!  those look pretty heavy - how much do you think they weigh?  Looks like a fun family project, though  :)

youngins

It is a fun project and the kids (especially Cosette) is really into it.

100 lbs of quickrete - but I thought somebody told me once that concrete gets heavier when it dries (after moving them around a few times - I can believe it!!)

Wendy and I are reconsidering a couple of things right now:
1. Rotate the structure 90 degrees so the front of it faces east instead of north.
2. Brick veneer on the front with hardi-plank on sides and back.

Stay tuned as we need to make these decisions right now before we do anything else....

youngins

OK - we decided to keep the playhouse orientated like we planned it originally but will do a brick veneer in front with hardi-plank in the back. we haven't decided which of the two for the sides.

We got the piers in the holes.  We still need to adjust them so everything is level.

Once we get them adjusted - we will fill the holes in and attach the beams.

glenn-k

Wow, Troublemaker, (formerly known as Prince Chris).

What a relief.  I have been bothered about those piers for a longtime now.  Great progress.   :)

youngins

Foundation-Piers (cont.)

Got the piers "rocked" in

glenn-k

Kodakjello

Great pictures, it always helps to see the different steps that need to be taken. I'm surprised that you cast them above ground then dropped them in...very bold  ;)

Pa_Kettle

Wow, nice work.  Heavy duty stuff.  How did you get the piers all at the same level?  Did you have to keep taking them out of the hole? :o

PK

youngins

Quote...I'm surprised that you cast them above ground then dropped them in...very bold  ;)

Quote...Did you have to keep taking them out of the hole? :o

Thanks.

My original thought was it was going to give me more control over the spacing.  While it did, after repositioning several times - the nostalgia kind of wore off.

Afterwards, Wendy asked me "And why couldn't we have just used deck blocks?"  ::)

I have to admit that I probably made this much harder than it had to be.

MountainDon

Look at it as experience.

fishing_guy

Afterwards, Wendy asked me "And why couldn't we have just used deck blocks?"    

1.  Now she tells you...

2.  You should know by know that the SO is always right...

Looking good though!

glenn-k

Quote...I'm surprised that you cast them above ground then dropped them in...very bold  ;)

Quote...Did you have to keep taking them out of the hole? :o

Thanks.

My original thought was it was going to give me more control over the spacing.  While it did, after repositioning several times - the nostalgia kind of wore off.

Afterwards, Wendy asked me "And why couldn't we have just used deck blocks?"  ::)

I thought you just wanted the practice. :)

youngins

Wendy and I are tossing around the idea to brick veneer the front of the playhouse and then hardi plank to sides and back. Before we get too far down the line with the idea - we want to understand the physics and what would be needed to make it work.

The area we are considering is 12' x 6' minus any perforated area in the wall.

To calculate the total number of bricks we would need, I measured the length and height of a single brick used as veneer on our house:
Length = 8"
Height = 2"

Now, we added 1" to length and height for mortar. That gives us a total of:
Length = 9"
Height = 3"

Since there are 144" in 12', the total "theoretical" number of bricks across would be:
144" / 9" = 16

Since there are 72" in 6', the total "theoretical" number of bricks high would be:
72" / 3" = 24

Ergo, the total number of "theoretical" bricks in a 12' by 6' wall with no perforations:
16 x 24 = 384

Given that
1. At least 84 bricks would probably be displaced by wall perforations (windows, etc)
2. Each brick weighs approximately 4 lbs.
The total additional "theoretical" dead weight that would be exerted down along the edge of the subfloor would be:
(300 x 4) + weight of mortar = 1200lbs + weight of mortar.

I don't know if it means anything to break this down to lbs per liner foot, ie:
1200 / 12 = (100 lbs + (weight or mortar/12)) per linear foot.

If we were to actually do this, it would probably be wise to provide additional support under the front edge of the sub-floor - for example 4 deck blocks spaced evenly with supports up to the RIM joist directly under the bricks.....

glenn-k

Your bricks should have their own footing and only tie to the wall with special clips for stability.  I believe a 1" space is required for drainage also.  The wall needs to be waterproofed somehow or it can have problems behind the bricks.  I remember seeing failure problems caused by moisture somewhere.

There are also fake bricks or some special goop you apply and pull a tape grid out of to make them look like bricks.  I don't know if it is for exterior or not but have seen it.

youngins

....more digging ....  :'(

MountainDon

Cheer up!   :)

Real brick. But only 1/2" thin veneer brick. No structural support from the bottom needed.

http://www.thin-brick-veneer.com/thin-brick-veneer.html?gclid=CJjg8O3jm4wCFRqfYAodpQcT2A

youngins

Thats a good idea - considering the scale of this project - it might be the most sensible thing to do.

THANKS Don!!!

8-)

youngins

Got a couple of things finished the last two days:
1. put lawn edging around pier holes to help divert water away from them
2. hack sawed the 3/4" rebar which was sticking out of the piers
3. plane/notched out beams to ensure even joist seating

Wendy has lost confidence in my ability to stay focused - so this is my punishment:

However, its a rainy day today - so I guess I just have to stay inside and do that other work  :'(

glenn-k

Cool, Chris.  Wendy has taken control. :)

That should snap you back into shape. :)  Rain?????   What's that? :-?

youngins

You know, I really need to do something with that fence.  Cedar...board on board...8 feet tall...

:-/

glenn-k

Kinda looks like the place is designed so you and your neighbors can keep an eye on each other.

I guess taking a leak off the front porch is out of the question. :-/

youngins

Today was really productive!!!

We got the beams leveled:

We got the built-up beams notched where the joists go across:

And ** finally ** we got the frame for the sub-floor up and everything fastened in:

glenn-k

Wow - you are moving right along.  I'm so proud. :)

youngins

A couple of setbacks today...

Had more roof shingle damage on the main house.  >:( Also, after getting 2 inside joists in on the playhouse - discovered we were not square anymore.  :o

Had to rip the joists out  :'( and slide one end of the subfloor frame about 1.5 inches to get square.

After tacking in the end floor joist and re-checking for square- laid two pieces of OSB in to re-mark the exact position of the OSB seams. We will measure from there the 16 o/c for the other supporting floor joists.

Just as we picked the OSB up we had to pack it in - we have been getting scattered T-showers every day now for the last week.  >:(

Good news is the Natl Weather Service has dropped North Texas from drought status.