Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdawg

I had one of those accelerators at one time. It was free but came complete with tracking cookies and all kinds of junk. Things worked much better when I finally got rid of it. If Verizon ever gets another tower in my area I will go back to using the PC device as it really is pretty good when you have the signal strength. Their tower to the south of me is blocked by some hills and the one to the north is just at or beyond the limits of it's range capabilities. Verizon is letting me cancel part or all of my services without the early temination fees if I so choose so they have been good about it. They would be the best company for my phones and the PC if they just got that next tower in place but while it is on the drawing board it isn't on the construction schedule yet. LOL.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

ScottA

I tried to reduce the pics as best I could so folks could DL them easier. I can remember my dial up days and I know it's no fun to wait 20 minutes for a page to load.

Piers are finnished as of friday and I'll be getting started on the main floor beams this comming week. Spent some hours raking leaves and cleaning up all the loose rocks under the house in preperation for crawl work. I'll be digging the stubouts for the plumbing and electrical in the next few days as well.

Scott

ScottA

Foundation beams are done. Weather is still crappy for over a week now. Starting on the floor tomorrow weather permiting.

Scott

MountainDon

Must feel good to be started.  :)

Re the picture, most anybody should be able to handle/see the 800x600 size okay.

What image processing software do you use? From what I can see the jpg compression could be upped for images that are meant only for web viewing. No big deal, the image loaded fast for me, but I'm on a mis speed DSL line. I'm just going by image size (169KB... IMO it could be compressed down to 115 KB or so and most folks would not see any difference.) NO big deal, just FYI.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Feels good to be out of the ground Don.

Re. the pics I just shrank the size in windows paint. I didn't think about it being able to go smaller by reducing the quality. I might try that on the next pics .

MountainDon

I don't think MS Paint has the option for choosing JPG quality. Like I said not a big deal.

I use Photoshop (educator's version) and/or ULead Smartsaver. Smartsaver is cool. It allows you to change compression and see the before and after in side-by-side windows. That's all it does... no other image editing. Both cost money though.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

If you have to upload with dial up, then reducing the pix first is a real time saver, but if on DSL it may be easiest to load to Photobucket then click the 640x480  or so option for output size.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 13, 2007, 10:28:16 PM
If you have to upload with dial up, then reducing the pix first is a real time saver, but if on DSL it may be easiest to load to Photobucket then click the 640x480  or so option for output size.
But he doesn't use Photobucket. He uses what appears to be web space provided by his ISP, BrightNet Oklahoma.   :-\

glenn kangiser

Obviously I didn't know that because I don't listen well enough. d* ::)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

You just weren't nosy enough

glenn kangiser

I'm probably nosy enought but russhing through things since I was behind -- work interfering with the forum. :(

MountainDon

We forgive you for placing the dollar above this. After all your diesel doesn't grow on trees.  ;D

glenn kangiser

Thanks, Don.  At least I made them pay half travel time at the regular rate to cover it.  Need money to pay for toys too. ::)

ScottA

My son and I got out and worked a little today. This angle stuff was frying my brain for a bit but I think we got it worked out.

ScottA

Made a little progress on the floor today. Shutting down work on this for a few days since I got a paying house job to start tomorrow. I'll get back on it asap. Talked to my lumber guy today about ordering the framing lumber. He said he needed 3 weeks lead time on my ceiling beams since they seem to be non stock items. But he does have my douglas fir studs.

glenn kangiser

Looks good, Scott.  I see I'm not the only one who sells himself for money.  :)

ScottA

Got some help from friends and finnished up the floor framing before the rain started and decked the veranda. We'll see when the weather lets me do the subfloor.

John Raabe

Looks good Scott. Well thought out detail with the porch.  :D

Merry Christmas to all!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Looks good, Scott.  Looks like you  got the original CCA PT wood -- I think it is better than the new stuff and I think it is still available for commercial uses. 

ScottA

QuoteLooks like you  got the original CCA PT wood -- I think it is better than the new stuff and I think it is still available for commercial uses. 

I'm not sure Glen but it's all our local lumber guy sells. He thought I was nuts for putting 2x8's for decking. He said,  That ought to last forever.

Redoverfarm

Scott I was wondering about the decking also. What influenced your choice of 2X verses 5/4 decking.  Looks like you have a great start.

ScottA

QuoteWhat influenced your choice of 2X verses 5/4 decking.

Look and feel mostly. I wanted something that felt more substatial and solid if that makes sence. My brother has 5/4 on his deck and it's fine I supose but it always felt kinda flemsy to me.

John Raabe

I did 2x4 cedar on my North deck and I'm glad I did. After 25 years some of the boards needed replacing but there was still plenty of meat and we were never in danger of breaking through even though I procrastinated for several years.  ;)

This deck is almost constantly wet for 8 months of the year.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

I'd like to have ready local access to cedar here. The only cedar we see are fence pickets.

ScottA

Got out and worked on the house a little today. Weather is fantastic for this time of year.