Mexican-style iron casing windows.

Started by cancertomnpdx, June 13, 2006, 01:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cancertomnpdx

Does anyone know if these style windows from Mexico are available in the US?  I have all my life admired iron casing windows whenever I found them.  Years ago, a friend of mine how this style windows in a house in Seward Park in Seattle.  I use to love to be in his house when it rained, the windows seemed to not only open up the house to light but maybe even scoped up the falling rain.

Please the photo in my message below!

glenn kangiser

We have a couple of steel or iron frame multipane windows - about 8'  x 4'6"---very antique though.  Can you describe the style of the ones you are talking about?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Billy Bob

We put some recycled ones in a shop we built a few years ago, Tom.  It did light things up nicely.  They were not energy effecient, but we had an enormous wood furnace and seventeen acres of forest to deal with that problem.  It was like having picture windows all around.
I don't know if the type was what you're thinking about; these were awning style taken from a factory, if I recall correctly.  In the setting, (barn type building), they didn't look all that commercial.
Bill

cancertomnpdx

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Does anyone know why my photo of my window sample didn't post to this message.  Also, some of us living in the Northwest need more light instead of energy efficiency!  Those of us who like more light just put on more sweaters when necessary!

Oops, the picture got posted this time!

glenn kangiser

That window is very much like the antique windows I put in.  Not a chance of energy efficiency there but we like the old look.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Such windows are not widely available since they don't meet current codes for energy efficiency or, I expect, the tempered glass requirement for glazing within 18" of the floor.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

mark_chenail

I would think someone still makes metal casement windows for commercial use that meet code.  Try Sweets catalog.  Your best bet though may be an architectural salvage yard.  I know our local salvage place sponsored by the county preservation society, has a couple of pairs of this type window in their yard right now.  I think them came out of an old frat house on campus that was remodeling.  I love that salvage yard and visit every saturday when I run my weekly errands.   right now they have this magnificent doorcase about 10 feet tall and a good foot deep all carved and paneled with a shaped transom and double doors.  Its all made of cypress and came out of an old house on the river in Havana Illinois.  They had tall italianate style windows to match it but those were sold, but no one can figure out what to do with this enormous door.  Ive been trying to think of a way to use it in my place in Missouri but its too big.  Im thinking of building a wall to close off the central courtyard from the driveway and using that door as a sort of entrance gate into the court.  I hate to see it sitting in that yard unused. :)

Sassy

Those doors sound really wonderful!  Wouldn't mind having some like that here... those would look pretty as the gates to the courtyard.   8-)

bil2054

Yeah, Tom, that window in the left hand wall is just exactly like what we used.  You see them in the old factories around here all the time.
I think Mark's suggestion of an architectural salvage yard is one good bet.  I know the ones we used were hornswoggled by my business partner from a demolition contractor.
Ah, Rodney, rest his soul.... he was a scrounger par excellence! [smiley=engel017.gif]

cancertomnpdx

Thanks for the great idea and suggestion everyone!

To Mark_Chenail,

Check out this door and the way it was hung, to great for words!

Thanks,
Tom

Amanda_931

Nice door(s).  

Might have been nice if the owners could have gotten a blacksmith to make hanging brackets to match the door handle.  

But that may have been the only way to get it up within a reasonable time.

And yes, I like those windows too.  Can't remember where I am familiar with them from.  But by today's standards, probably outrageously expensive--with all those genuine lights.

(actually all those genuine lights might in reality make up for no tempered glass in lowest 18 inches.  Might not all break at once)

ailsaek

Those are really neat and pretty, but wouldn't a traditional nine over nine light window give you a similar effect with less energy loss?

Amanda_931

I wouldn't think so.  might be equally nice, but not the same.  

And the way they open is kind of strange as well.

The thin lines of iron can't be matched with, say, those faux divided lights between the two layers of glass.

cancertomnpdx

I think the thin line of the iron is the point that excites me.  I don't think you can recreate either the texture, perception or visual of the iron casings in any other material.  As a former potter, I really like the fact you can still see the forge work in the windows even though I am certain they are made in a more modern method today in Mexico.

Please see these links,

http://www.rollybrook.com/09-07.htm

http://www.rollybrook.com/09-14.htm

Thanks,
Tom

mark_chenail

Those metal windows were very common and popular in the 1930's through the 1950's.  You see them in art deco style houses but more often in commercial or industrial settings like office buildings and factories.  Notice the little vented opening in the original picture.  Here's a couple of suppliers of metal windows in a similar style:

http://www.torrancesteelwindow.com/

http://www.hopeswindows.com/hopes.shtml

Most of these are steel windows with a glazed black finish.

TOM:  That is a neat door.  Looks like barn door hardware. Shame it isnt in black though instead of shiny chrome.

jraabe

Nice links Mark.

These light frame metal windows do have their own charm. No doubt about it.

While they won't meet residential energy codes in most heating climates (and as a commerical product you can expect to spend some big $$) you may be able to find a local architect who has used such windows and successfully gotten them approved. To do so usually involves some heavy lifting from an energy tradeoff analysis program to show you can still meet energy code with these windows. You will have to increase insulation values somewhere else in the building to offset window losses.

jwv

I could paint that rail!  I paint everything!

We're going to do doors like that in our house-a bathroom door actually.  Any ideas on how to provide "privacy".  We've discussed just using an old gate hook and eye.  Any other suggestions.

Don't want to hijack the thread tho- I do like those windows. They remind me of many hours spent looking outside from the inside of a classroom.

Judy