Building a near free RV storage garage

Started by glenn-k, January 28, 2006, 02:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Duct or Duck tape as well as electrical tape and parts of paper towels are good first choices for me -- We do keep a real first aid kit on the truck.

Amanda_931

Masking tape is good too.

Although we mostly used it on things like black fingernails before they fell off.

(I worked in a factory then, and we had access to those wonderful adhesive bandage things that would stay on until you took them off--or sweated them off.)

But the 3-M ones are a fairly close second or third.  And they come in "tatoos" as well as colors.

The Duct Tape bandages were a fairly standard size, but expensive--almost a buck apiece.  Just about worth it if they'd stay on.

glenn-k

Waiting for materials at my jobsite yesterday, I did a no-no.  I went to the Harbor Freight Tool store.  It cost me money --but look what I saved!!

I've wanted a plate compactor for a couple of years now but even used  ones at rental companies were usually over $1000.

Harbor has a brand new one with a 6.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton I/C (Industrial/Commercial) engine -cast iron sleeve to last a long time.  It lists for $699, but was on sale for $599.  This is a new product for them.  The quality looks very good.

Now my clay walkway and new floors will be flat instead of near flat and blacktop road repairs can be easily compacted.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91762

glenn-k

Kathy finished the plastering of the arch this week before she had to go back to the valley of darkness to work.  Good job too, even if I have to say so myself.  ::)

Finally a few more days off work so I can play with the RV storage garage. :)  I put more clay on the walkway and did the compaction on the first layer.  More packing and grading later.  

I decided it was time to start on the East porch so it would like I was doing something.  Since I don't have the benefit of plans for the post and beam porch I spent a little time figuring out what I wanted to do --then after that things progressed a bit quicker.  I went to a 2/12 pitch on the porch.  One of its functions is to get the runoff a bit farther from the sides of the building but I didn't want to lose to much height either.

Another requirement was that it be nearly free so I chose to continue using the bridge timbers.  They matched the general style also.  Some of the used corrugated sheeting had so many nail holes it looked like someone shot it with a shotgun, but it was free, rustic and a tube of caulking is only a few bucks--- wait a minute --- I may still have some left from a job -- gray --- the right color too. :)

I started putting the tin roof on the porch after this picture was taken as it was getting toward dusk.

cecilia

It's all looking so good Glenn - and Kathy has done a fabulous job on the archway.

Maybe she'd like to come down here and help me do something creative with my garden shed. We're hoping to be a little more adventurous with that than we dared to be with the house.

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

peg_688

lookin good  :)
I see only Sassy got the invite , Cecilia's  seen to many bobcat photos Glenn :o She's might be afraid to let you near her garden's  ;D

glenn-k

PEG, If you have gone through Cecilia's web site real well you will know that not too deep down inside, Cecilia is lusting after my Bobcat.  She would love to jump in the seat of it, get control of that 105 turbo-charged horse power and really tear something up.  Maybe dig a new garden spot or pond.  

I'm sure the invitation would extend to me if I brought the Bobcat. :)

cecilia

Hi Glenn

Yes - the invitation certainly extends to you too (but I suspect Sassy is the one who shares my love of the garden). And your bobcat would be more than welcome - especially if you let me play with it.

Actually what I really need next summer is a machine which can completely clean out a rogue weed (with leaves which look like waterlilies) from my pond!

I made great home made bread for guests.

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

glenn-k

I'm already hungry ----and now you say you made homemade bread. :-/

We used to have Koi fish on our pond and put lillys - wild ones of some kind in the pond.  They died because the fish ate the roots.

glenn-k

Looked at a job today for a customer/friend (in our community most customers become friends so you have to treat them right -and if you don't the whole community will know).  

Did a bit more work on the East porch.  Roofing is on - how fitting that I did it on a Sunday --- it is very holy.   In the night - if there is enough light in the sky - it looks like a little planetarium under the roof. :-/

It feels like a very old building already.

The rammed earth walk is very solid -- feels like the ground.

I took this picture from off to the side, but as you come in from the driveway you would never know there was another story below.

Sassy

Thanks for the compliments on the plaster job... it's certainly not perfect but it looks pretty good overall.  Glenn had attached chicken wire to the inside, it was difficult to fit flush to the surface & stuck out a couple inches on both ends - he had to use a type of wire on the ends that sprung back into a circular shape (don't know what the technical name is).  Trying to get the plaster to stick to the top & sides was a challenge, it kept falling down - had it in my hair & all over  :-/ - had to crawl inside to finish some of it... put on about 3 coats altogether.  I think I'm about ready to get the cement board & try out some mosaic for the walls that will surround my clawfoot slipper tub in the master bath!

Nandajor inspired me & I guess I've gotten enough practice with plastering.  We installed the counter & floor tiles in our place in the valley.  Great idea to place the cement board on plywood & work with it that way - I had wanted to do something like that but couldn't imagine working with it while on the walls...  at least this way, you can work with it while being half way comfortable!  :)

Cecilia, I'm wanting a pond outside, somewhere close by where I can look out at it while in the house.  :) Eventually we also want to put a small pond at the base of the uphill patio & have a rock waterfall going down into it.  Probably have some koi or goldfish - the water would circulate through the hydroponics garden above in the greenhouse.  You would be able to see it from most areas of the house.  So many dreams & plans - enough to keep us busy for a long time!   ;)

peg_688

:) Eventually we also want to put a small pond at the base of the uphill patio & have a rock waterfall going down into it.  Probably have some koi or goldfish -  ;)

The racoon's will [size=22]  REALLY  [/size] like that/  ;Dor them :-/

Sassy

hopefully, by the time we get to the pond the rest of the house will be closed in...  :-/

peg_688

So the pond will be inside the house?

glenn-k

Yes -- I though it might be nice to have a small stream and pond in the deeper part of the house- a few fish - fresh fish for dinner---doesn't everybody have one?  :-/

peg_688

Some folks do ,  :o

This was more like a steam room, small lil leak in a pressure line , what a mess :'(

glenn-k

I hope to have it rather controlled - and landscaped.

Pump up to hydroponic vegetables return to the fish pond -- actually eating fish - not decorative.  Plants use the nitrogen - the stream trickling down shoud put oxygen back into the water.

Now can I make it take care of itself with timers etc. for extended periods of time?

glenn-k

A bit more progress today.  Got a day off work finally when Sassy was home to do all the manual labor. :)

We moved all the building junk and put the old car in her new home.   Weather has straightened up now and major activities in the garage are pretty well done on the top floor.

Here is a story that tells how the hay harpoon fork was used in the old days.  I still have to brace the hoist beam and extend the front over the hay trolley.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/articles/artint110.htm

jonseyhay

Looks real good mate. Just got to get the gardener on the job now. ;)
Do those loft doors open or are they just for looks.
BTW nice job on the spam.

glenn-k

The loft door will work as soon as I put hinges on it.  Just added a link to the hay fork info.  Might be good if I got the loft floor in too.  Just finishing things for looks right now.

There will be a 12"x12" x 24' planter box on the left side for a hand rail.  Then the gardener can go to work. :)

Hope the spammer is under control.  I'm still researching and adding blocks etc. to try to stop him better.  We had it easy -- some boards got 350 spams from this guy in a night.

glenn-k

Yesterday's slight progress.  Keep in mind that I don't want to spend any unnecessary money on this project.  We are still at under $200.

I am starting to cover the underground section on the west side where the excavation is still open to the outside.  The ground is so hard and full of rocks here that a retaining wall is not really necessary.  It just requires that I get back far enough from the edge for stability and moisture control.  This will help keep with the cave look when complete and give me room to dig the Jimmy Casson Tunnel to the Underground Cabin

The railroad tie is set on rocks for a foundation support and drainage in case the ground gets wet.  Since I am putting a carport/utility area above the open area it will be necessary for the floor to support 1 wheel of a car or about 1000 lbs plus about 6" of soil weight.  I will test it with 1/2 the weight of the Bobcat 11000/2=5500 lbs.  Since 1/2 the weight will be held by the RR tie and 1/2 the weight will go to the header to the left, each side will need to hold 2750 lbs.  This can be further divided on the header by saying that each end of it gets 1/2 of that weight or 1375 lbs.  There --That doesn't sound so bad does it?  I will use bridge timbers laid flat for the floor/first floor ceiling, covered with tarpaper and plastic before backfilling.

I put dry clay soil over the rocks supporting the tie and washed it in with water to glue the foundation rocks together.  It was left down enough to still allow drainage.

Don't ask me how bad I got the Bobcat stuck on top the pile of rocks and between the two Oak trees at the same time---with tracks even-----I don't wanna talk about it.

peg_688

Don't ask me how bad I got the Bobcat stuck on top the pile of rocks and between the two Oak trees at the same time---with tracks even-----I don't wanna talk about it.

Sassy Photos ,  :-/ Please  :-* HeHee he  ;D

glenn-k

Fortunately, she was at work, and like you, PEG only gets what I allow her to have. :-/

The giant ripped off sections of bark in the picture should tell you something though.  They didn't have a scratch on them before the "incident".  Note that I only damaged 3' of one clapboard on the garage getting out ---- and it only took about an hour---- and I only had to pile rocks and boards under the tracks two or three times---- and I only bent one rock guard on the tracks---- and I only got one 8 inch diameter rock stuck in the tracks between the two tires---and ... --- ...   ... --- ...         too late---I'm already out. ;D

peg_688

Fortunately, she was at work, and like you, PEG only gets what I allow her to have. :-/

Yes ,,oh powerful and mighty adminastrator  ;D

We tremble at your obesences , and stand in awe of your granduer ;D ;D

Seriously though folks could learn " what not to do" from photos as well as what to do .

Note to self , Stay well clear when Glenn's operating machinary ;D