Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12

Started by JavaMan, April 20, 2010, 12:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JavaMan

Gotta love those succinct answers that MD gives.

Thanks!  :)

OlJarhead

MountainDon

19/32" is what is commonly referred to as 5/8"       5/8 = 20/32
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JavaMan

Starting to plan the NEXT trip already  ???  In discussions with a buddy of mine over the weekend, we came up with a way to save me 8-10 hours of work, and pretty much ensure that the roof gets on! :)  That, along with a bunch of other "small" stuff leaving pretty much simply putting the shingles or steel on next time.

So, I figure maybe next time I should also try to get someone up there to help with the cutting of the drive (bulldozer or excavator) and other excavation tasks I need/want done.  Depends on what I might be able to get done in a days rental, I guess.

I'm thinking if I laid it out, the equipment operator could be digging away while I'm shingling the roof, and I'd get more bang for my buck, so to speak.

I'm leaning towards steel, but am still pricing it all out, trying to find the best deal - and remembering that in most cases, I'll have to pay shipping - unless I can find it locally (either Okanogan or the wetside)

OlJarhead

Steel in the dry woods -- it's a must in my book!!!

An excavator operator will know a LOT more about what can be done (and it's always been a LOT more then I expect)....so talk to one about what you want done ahead of time.

Tom was able to dig a small well in rocky ground with granite down at 4 feet, then dig a huge root cellar hole and take out a ton of trees and dig a grey water drain trench for me and more....all in 10hrs of trackhoe time including driving around  :)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 08, 2012, 03:44:51 PM
Steel in the dry woods -- it's a must in my book!!!

An excavator operator will know a LOT more about what can be done (and it's always been a LOT more then I expect)....so talk to one about what you want done ahead of time.

Tom was able to dig a small well in rocky ground with granite down at 4 feet, then dig a huge root cellar hole and take out a ton of trees and dig a grey water drain trench for me and more....all in 10hrs of trackhoe time including driving around  :)
Yup, that's a lot!

In order of importance to me:
1. I want a drive cut into the side of the "mountain" ... elevation change maybe 150feet or so - probably be a 300-400 feet long (just a guesstimate on the length), perhaps some brush/logs simply pushed out of the way - I want to be able to drive up the hill this year to the site of where the "big cabin" will eventually be built.

2. Foundation/basement hole dug.

I talked to someone a couple years ago that said that would be an 8 hour day or less (if my memory remembers right).

To bad you aren't closer - we could split a rental - your place one day, mine the next - or something like that.  Of course, I won't be ready (and neither will the budget) until at least the weekend of the 8th of June.  It's got to be that weekend or the weekend after that.

I'm already figuring the budget for getting someone up there with an excavator then.

Sadly, after those two weekend, the summer just gets full as our anniversary  :) is the 22nd, and then we're headed to Glacier and Yellowstone the first week of July!

I don't think I'll get another free weekend until August - when it's HOT up there  :D  But then, I hope to have my sawmill by then, so I'll head up and mill some wood for paneling and such

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 09, 2012, 05:02:37 PM
Congrats on the 22 years!
Yeah,that would be nice, but it's only 3 years - on the 22nd (of June) ;D

OlJarhead

DOH!  Well 3 years then!

Booked the trackhoe for the 8th (pickup) :)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 21, 2012, 02:18:15 PM
DOH!  Well 3 years then!

Booked the trackhoe for the 8th (pickup) :)

Cool!  So, you need to give me a call or I need to give you a call and work out the details of when he's going to be where, and how much it's going to cost, etc... ;D

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on May 21, 2012, 02:20:52 PM
Cool!  So, you need to give me a call or I need to give you a call and work out the details of when he's going to be where, and how much it's going to cost, etc... ;D

Ya we'll get it sorted.  It's booked and we can sort out details this week/next week.

JavaMan

I just went to double check the price of the lumber I needed yet, and it's starting to go up.  I guess everyone is paying more for fuel these days.... at least out west  d* (according to the newspapers - and we believe them, right?  ;)).

Yonderosa

Paying $4.50 here.  It was $0.30/gallon cheaper in Omak...   ???  A new high for me and oil is $60 a barrel cheaper than it was when I paid $4.41...   ???  YIKES.  Don't expect it to go down.  Just plan on staying longer when I do make it over to the good side of the hill.

Lumber IS going up.  Less demand, lower supply, higher fuel prices.  Very few mills operating.  The logs they hauled out last year near my place were headed to a mill FOUR hours away. 

I know the gubmint is telling us inflation is a mere 2-4%.  Not according to my fuel and grocery receipts  >:( .

I'm hurting and I'm one of the lucky ones... steadily employed.  Had to dip into the savings.  Wages for jobs I do have dropped back to what I was making in the 80's.  L&I is busting everyone they can who ain't paying taxes but employers ain't paying anyone who is.  I can see why the tax revenue has fallen so far short.  The state even suspected me of cheating as my checks to them have dropped off by more than 75%.    They wanted their $$$.  Sadly, I ain't making what I was in 2006 anymore.  I'm in subsistence mode.  Don't expect it'll get better anytime soon.  I figure they'll dip into whatever savings/IRA I have left to make sure the Banksters can keep making their big campaign contributions.

Sorry for the rant... :-[

Hope it's goes well for you.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

JavaMan

Nah... don't worry about the rant.

Silly me, I always thought that when the demand for something went down ... prices went down.  Seems to me the econ prof had it wrong and still gave me an A!  That plus when the supply of something went up ... and the price of it went down the end cost of it should go down.  From what I can tell (and a few others that I've talked to) we, out west, are the only ones feeling the price increase even when the cost of a barrel of crude is way off the highs. ???

Life is just plain weird these days - which is one reason I want to get at least my shed (with loft) finished.  I just don't know what might happen.

Thankfully, I am also one of the mostly employed.  Altho, it doesn't seem like I'm using the talents that I've cultivated over the last 25 years - at least not to their fullest extent.  But I suppose I should be glad I have a job... just over 4 years and I'm eligible for a pension (if they keep me that long)  ???

OlJarhead

I saw somewhere gas on the east coast was HIGHER -- so it's not just WA State....can I post something for you?   I'll post and if you want it removed I'll remove it but this is why you don't feel any 'recovery' etc.....

http://etfdailynews.com/2012/05/18/john-williams-the-recovery-is-an-illusion-gld-slv-tza-sds-indexsp-inx/

Anyway, I've tracked several things in the stores and in some cases prices went up 50% in others they went up some and the item got smaller with a net gain of 20%....the whole 2-3% is bullcrap since it doesn't include food and energy -- the two most important things to you and me.....

Anyway, I'll not rant but suffice to say I'm not happy either.  I make 57% of what I did 2 years ago and there are zip to none opportunities out there these days...but hey, it's all sunshine and roses right?

Cheers
Erik

JavaMan

Been watching them "cook the books" so to speak, for a number of years now.  Sadly, it doesn't seem to matter what side of the aisle you're on, either.  Some just cook 'em more than others... :-[

I have an opportunity to increase my wages coming up ... if offered, I'm debating taking it, because it's only a 6 month contract (for a tech company) - opposed to a "permanent" job (in the housing industry ???).  The advantages are that it would be actual programming instead of "marketing support" (maintaining the website)

It's a dilemma... and Beautiful is going to be out of town for 5 days. :(  I need a trip to the Ranch

OlJarhead

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/Underground-Rain-Barrels/Rain-Water-Harvest-Underground-Tank-574-Gallon

You could probably build this but frankly the price isn't bad -- and with someone like Tom to dig the hole for you -- well, water would be less of an issue ;)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 30, 2012, 09:14:36 AM
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/Underground-Rain-Barrels/Rain-Water-Harvest-Underground-Tank-574-Gallon

You could probably build this but frankly the price isn't bad -- and with someone like Tom to dig the hole for you -- well, water would be less of an issue ;)

Yeah, I've thought about doing something like that.  I have a 230 gallon tank that fits the back of the pickup ... I figured I could build something to roll it in and out to run and get water when I needed to, but I'd rather have a "source" on the property.  The guy that rides the ferry with me (that works for EPA) says, "You didn't hear it from me, but I'd go ahead and build a dam on the runoff and make a small pond"  ;)  That might work if I can contain it.

But I've done a whole bunch of other research and I might be able to dig/drill my own hole. It would just take a loooong time.  Which is ok.  The alternative is no water at all.  But in the meantime, I'm thinking a cistern like you have with rain/snow water harvesting might not be a bad idea.

JavaMan

I will say that I'm getting pumped up to be heading up there again.  It's been far too long since I was up at the ranch.

I've got my rafter trusses, and my loft joists and flooring.  I figure I'll pick up the sheathing locally up there, if I get to that point.  (I hope I get to that point as it will be good to get the roof on)

And then to get the drive to the top of the hill put in, will be awesome! :)  I hope I can mark it all out for him well in advance.  I have scouted it out the last few times I've been there, but it's been over a year, so I will need to make sure that I remember correctly.  And put in some stakes and tape or something for him to follow.  ???

I'm wishing it was next week already... that would mean only 2 days to go :D! But it's not, so that means 9 days... :-[

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on May 30, 2012, 09:52:38 AM
I will say that I'm getting pumped up to be heading up there again.  It's been far too long since I was up at the ranch.

I've got my rafter trusses, and my loft joists and flooring.  I figure I'll pick up the sheathing locally up there, if I get to that point.  (I hope I get to that point as it will be good to get the roof on)

And then to get the drive to the top of the hill put in, will be awesome! :)  I hope I can mark it all out for him well in advance.  I have scouted it out the last few times I've been there, but it's been over a year, so I will need to make sure that I remember correctly.  And put in some stakes and tape or something for him to follow.  ???

I'm wishing it was next week already... that would mean only 2 days to go :D! But it's not, so that means 9 days... :-[

That bug is SOOOOooooo hard to kick too! 

Here I am sitting at work just a couple days passed being at the cabin and I'm itching to get right back to it!  Can't wait....seriously dying here....

JavaMan

Yeah, I solved a problem this afternoon and now I'm on a bit of an adrenalin rush ... the kind that comes when you feel you've been buried under about 7 feet of dirt and clawed your way out.  The kind that makes me want to charge that hill on my property up to the top where the view is the best ... right where the deck is going to extend from the front door! ;D

JavaMan

One more week!  Gonna get the trailer for the supplies from my local friend this weekend (hopefully tomorrow) and get it loaded up.  Then it will be the rest of the week trying to make myself stay busy enough so the time doesn't crawl by and feel like a month o' Sundays before the next weekend  ::)

I'm going to need to get the Genny and the compressor out of the other trailer, tho, so that will give me something to do  :)

OlJarhead

Don't forget to email your number to Tom so you can discuss the excavator work with him...and we need to plan the meet up etc

JavaMan

I'm a step ahead of you this morning, OJH  ;D  Did that about 45 minutes ago... Told him to call me tomorrow sometime.

I am getting really stoked about it now  :o  I think it's going to be one of the most productive trips up there that I've had!

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on June 01, 2012, 01:13:49 PM
I'm a step ahead of you this morning, OJH  ;D  Did that about 45 minutes ago... Told him to call me tomorrow sometime.

I am getting really stoked about it now  :o  I think it's going to be one of the most productive trips up there that I've had!

I hope so!