Using as many logs as possible in a stick frame cabin..

Started by AdironDoc, September 25, 2010, 09:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdironDoc

I recently met my neighbor who, as luck would have it, is both a mill owner and contractor. He has built dozens of log cabins but recommended a stick built home for cost and R-factors. I had a look at a 16 x 24 appalachian style cabin he had just finished and was surprised at his incorporating hand hewn logs in all rafters, visible joists, and the framing of the porch. The cabin is still largely stick built with 2x6s. Roughed in, using my own pine timber, it came to $38/sq ft, making it my top choice now. All boards were 2" pine, fine finish. Siding is board and batten. He will need to season my timber this season, so just how many logs I need becomes important now. I always wanted a log cabin, but a hybrid, with visible post and beams seems great too. [cool]

Any ideas on where log or hand hewn timbers can be used to maximize the "log cabin" feel? Aside from joists and rafters, was thinking the top plate, corners, or ends of each partition wall. I wonder what you call a 50/50 of log-post/beam and conventional? Hopefully not a mess!  ;D

Doc

TheWire

You could use log trim around doors & windows.  Log railings and treads on stairs.