A man needs a chainsaw.

Started by fraggin, March 04, 2009, 09:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraggin

I realized i was one of them. Brother and Dad have both always had one so owning one was not a necessity. But, a man that will be building a cabin, should own a chainsaw. Chainsaw, cabin, ... Cabin, Chainsaw,.. Right?
So, I have been giving it some thought, and today, I walk into my office and there is an expense check on my desk for $225 for cell phone reimbursement. I forgot I had turned that in.
I stopped by Ace Hardware on the way home half cocked at buying a stihl chain saw, But when i saw the size of what I could get for ~$200, I was kind of turned off to the idea. I love stihl, for their quality. But I guess I should have went in armed with a little more cash. I just couldn't envision myself being happy once I got home with the MS180.  I may wait until I have some more cash. Just wanted to vent

Redoverfarm

Wait until you turn another expense account in and by that time you should be able to get a decent size one.  You might also check the pawn shops in your area or repair shops.  Ocassionally they repair some that the owner can not pay the bill or leaves it.

peternap

I like Dolmar a little better than Stihl. You'll still need a little extra money. If you just have to have a Stihl, start looking at the trading post and Craigs list. Hard times are making people sell off lots of things.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

cholland

I prefer my husky, but everyone has their opinion.

Your right though, every man needs at least one chainsaw.  I own two.

about twelve years ago I had more money invested and a better running saw than a car to get me around.
the saw was a more important tool.

diyfrank

I bought a 044 stihl about 20 years ago. It cost around $800. It just gave up on me last year. Thats about 40 bucks a year.
Home is where you make it

glenn kangiser

I have 5 chainsaws - 6 if you count the pole chainsaw for the Stihl weed eater.

The 044 is a super saw.  I just got a used on that really goes.  I also have an 046 I think and a 028 and a Stihl electric and Ryobi 18v. 

All have their places. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

muldoon

I just got a stihl woodboss 028av  20" bar last week off craigslist for 150.   awesome saw. 

considerations

You're right, every man person needs at least one chainsaw.   [chainsaw] :)

fraggin

Quote from: muldoon on March 04, 2009, 11:08:07 PM
I just got a stihl woodboss 028av  20" bar last week off craigslist for 150.   awesome saw. 

Nice Find. What condition was the saw?

glenn kangiser

Dang --- we need more PCness to cover our skilled ladies too. :)

...and fraggin, I bought my 046 at a pawn shop for $400 -- It was like new at that time.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

[waiting]  Glenn won't let me use the chainsaw  [chainsaw]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I want to keep her in one piece....

peternap

If you want a good say, buy it this year. New EPA rules start in 2010 and the small engines we have now, won't be available anymore. From what I understand, the new compliant engines aren't worth a damn.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Sonoran

I worked with my father-in-law for a time building log cabins.  He has been building them his entire life.  I think he has both stihl and homelite.  It's so hard for me to remember which we used and when we used it.  I'm pretty sure that he used the homelite the majority of the time, in fact, I'm not sure that we ever used the stihl on important cuts. I think the reason for this was it threw a lot of oil.

The most important thing, more than the saw itself, was the bar and chain.  If the chain isn't sharpened evenly it will tend to pull to one side or the other.  It is also important that the bar is in good condition.

I've used stihls for lot clearing.  First chainsaw I've ever used aside from the homelite. I never had a problem with it. I've talked to people and they say that it's a good saw.  It is costly though. It will last you a good while.
Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: Sassy on March 05, 2009, 01:29:31 AM
Sassy, that's why you don't ASK! ;)  Ask the kids... they'll tell you they saw me using their dad's chainsaw to cut down these old wiry shrubs-turned-trees that were about a foot in diameter to clear a spot for our garden in Wisconsin.  In a skirt, no less.... and when I finished with the chainsaw, I used the axe to finish the tree and then everything from the shovel to the pruning shears to get the rest of the roots up.   ;D

Windpower

I'll toss in my 2 FRN here (inflation you know)

My father kept us fed with a Homelite 5-20 G (this was 45 years ago) they were probably amoung the best in their day 

I have a Homelite -- it's about 30 years old in light service -- I have to replace the starter rope and last year I put in a new spark plug -- it runs just fine

I bought a Sihl 023 -- it is simply a great saw  -- I think my dad would have lived longer had he been able to use a Stihl, that 5-20 was a tad heavy and underpowered by today's standards

The Stihl has a nice safety feature, a chain brake that stops the chain during a kick back -- I am sure it saved me some stitches once when I was doing something I shouldn't have

look for used or just save up for a new one --- highly recomended

btw I think the Husky is great too -- I have a Husky dirt bike (1976 250  six speed cross country) so I am prejudiced -- fine engineers those Swedes

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

cordwood

While I worked at a tractor supply store we sold Echo products and was quite impressed with their performance for the money. Their warranty claims people were easy to get along with as well. I did repair work on all types and brands of saws and weedeaters and the Echos held up very well in commercial use.
I like Stihl saws the best it's just I can't afford them. The "real" Husky's are good too but beware of the cheaper versions sold at the chain stores, There is a difference!!!!
I own a lot of saws with several brands in the shed but the two I use most are my Echos. The CS 341 12" top handle goes with me almost everywhere and has never given an ounce of trouble in six years of abuse, The CS 440 18" has been trouble free as well but hasn't seen near the use (abuse) that the little one gets.
Sachs/Dolmar were a nightmare to get parts for as well as the Shindawas, I have a pile of poulans behind the shed to scrap out for parts for the never ending line of Wal-Mart junk that comes to me almost daily.
One thing to look for when buying a saw is the EPA service hours, Anything less than 300 hours is a toy (poulan is 50 hours) and 500 hours is a premium product. Also I like to have adjustment screws, High,Low and, Idle, Nonadjustable carbs. are the EPA equivalent to a disposable lighter >:(
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

muldoon

Quote from: fraggin on March 05, 2009, 12:10:35 AM
Quote from: muldoon on March 04, 2009, 11:08:07 PM

Nice Find. What condition was the saw?

faded plastic, old looking, somewhat dirty, well used.  He has been using it in his landscaping business for 8 years, he is closing his business. 

Aside from being well used, mechanically speaking, its perfect.  new air filter, new sparkplug, the carb looks like it's been either cleaned recently or very well maintained.  (or both).  compression test showed it pulled 145, which is really good in my opinion.  the bar is somewhat worn on one side but the other is perfect.  The chain was newish - but not as sharp as I like.  I need to get my dremel thing out and touch it up. 

It has the adjustment screws for hi and low, which you cant find anymore.  As cordwood said the new EPA rules wont allow them.  I'm happy with it. 

fraggin

It's a hard choice to make. One December decades ago, my dad cut up some trees for someone who wanted some storm-fell oaks cleaned up. These trees were larger than 24" at the trunk and his 10 year old saw died on him the first day. He had enough cash in his pocket to buy the smallest homelite model that Walmart sold, and we were able to get a good start on some firewood to sell. We ended up cutting several cords of wood that month and had some spending money for christmas. He expected the saw to last through one or two weekends of his abuse, but it was years before it finnally lost compression and would no longer start.

The only stihl product I have ever owned is a stihl weed trimmer. Before I bought it, I was accustomed to buying a new trimmer each spring, but my stihl refuses to roll over on me. So, I have respect for the brand and would love to own a stihl chainsaw, but am unsure of the best decision at the moment.

Initially, I will need a saw for clearing a spot to build, but I would also like to have one that I could rip a few boards with as well. It would be an occasional use frequencey, but, I would expect several hard weekends a year from it.

ScottA

I use stihl saws. Very good equipment, would be hard to top for ease of use and reliability I think. Keep spare sharp chains handy. I don't mess with sharpening in the woods. Nothing ruins your rythum like stopping to sharpen a chain. I usually try to keep 3 sharp chains in the truck when cutting.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on March 05, 2009, 07:05:29 AM
Quote from: Sassy on March 05, 2009, 01:29:31 AM
Sassy, that's why you don't ASK! ;)  Ask the kids... they'll tell you they saw me using their dad's chainsaw to cut down these old wiry shrubs-turned-trees that were about a foot in diameter to clear a spot for our garden in Wisconsin.  In a skirt, no less.... and when I finished with the chainsaw, I used the axe to finish the tree and then everything from the shovel to the pruning shears to get the rest of the roots up.   ;D

Pictures, Homey, we need pictures. rofl

rwanders

Cutting 10' diameter spruce, hemlock and an occasional cottonwood in Alaska, we all used nothing but big stihl saws with 48" & 60" bars.  Very reliable. Trees that size on steep mountain sides are really scary things to cut but worst of all were the cottonwoods---they often had  rotten centers and would "squat down" and almost explode in your face. Sometimes large branches on them were also rotten and would fall from the vibration while you were cutting. I never got real comfortable in those jobs which is probably why I am still alive with all my arms and legs. Too old for that stuff anymore.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

glenn kangiser

Most of my relatives were loggers.

My dad was hit with logs twice as a second loader in Oregon -- spotting logs on a truck- He used to have to stand on the cab guard of the truck as it was loaded.  Eventually that job was discontinued -- many smashed loggers.

I cut wood when in HS  7.5 HP Homelite with a 3 foot bar was my main saw.  I could cut, split and load a cord of alder in 2 hours - my uncle gave me decks of them that were too old to sell.

One night I did 2 cord but didn't have time to deliver the second one - had it on the truck though.

ScottA

Next you'll be telling us you had a blue Ox.

cordwood

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 06, 2009, 08:34:42 AM
Most of my relatives were loggers.

My dad was hit with logs twice as a second loader in Oregon -- spotting logs on a truck- He used to have to stand on the cab guard of the truck as it was loaded.  Eventually that job was discontinued -- many smashed loggers.

I cut wood when in HS  7.5 HP Homelite with a 3 foot bar was my main saw.  I could cut, split and load a cord of alder in 2 hours - my uncle gave me decks of them that were too old to sell.

One night I did 2 cord but didn't have time to deliver the second one - had it on the truck though.

Usually eating just before bed will give me nightmares like that, Now I try to eat a little earlier and stay away from caffeine before bed. ;)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.