A new milestone

Started by peternap, February 24, 2009, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I've been trying to rethink my emergency food since there are few things I can eat. Unfortunately, a lot of what I have is rice and that's out. I can do like the VietCong did while in a hurry, and eat a half handfull dry....It is not high on my menu though.

One thing I really miss is mashed potatoes. The Adkins diet does allow turnips so I tried mashed turnips tonight. My reading was 89 before dinner and 94 3 hours later. Can't do much better than that. I have some turnip seeds to plant, so I guess I'll get ground ready.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Peter, sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) are supposed to be OK for diabetics (though I've never done blood sugar testing before and after) and you can cook them just about any way you can potatoes.  They grow like weeds.  Heck, they ARE weeds.  But I kind of like using them to make a tall privacy screen... the last time I had some, they grew probably 10' tall or better, and the flowers are pretty.  I made some pickled with a lot of garlic one time and they were really good, too.  May be worth trying, especially if you can find them for sale somewhere and try eating them and seeing how your body reacts before dedicating a spot in the garden to them.  Once you have them, you have them.  You can try digging them all, but usually one or two will escape. 

Sassy

Hey, that's great news, Peter!  Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower?  Its pretty good - add some cheese, makes it really good.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free