What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Yup sounds good - my dad had that in the Navy so we used to get it at home.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

You can also make a poor substitute by warming thin sliced Spam in canned mushroom soup.

I used to really like that.  [crz]   Maybe I should try it again. Maybe not.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Sounds OK :)

We also like scrambled eggs with sauteed onions and bacon (cooked before and scrambled in the eggs)  over toast and smothered in white sauce. [hungry] 

Haven't had it in a coons age...  [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Oh Yes!!!

There's always tomorrow though.

And let the coon live to see another day.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

muldoon

I had a leisurely day, did some grilling.

fired up some venison backstrap steaks, smoked over combination of pecan and mesquite. dry rubbed with a garlic/paprika/salt/pepper/cayenne ish dry rub. I didnt realize how hungry I was until I just laid in the hammock drinking beer and nibbling and then all of a sudden - the meat was gone.

glenn kangiser

That had to be good, muldoon.

considerations

Jumbalaya!  Wooee!  Kind of a creole paella. 

MountainDon

I like jambalaya!

Turkey Pie here. Frozen left over meat from C'mas. Added some peas, diced carrots and potato, chopped onion and left over gravy.   :)

glenn kangiser

Woops - I forgot to eat dinner --- better see if I have any ice cream.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Spam AND mushroom gravy???  Sounds like enough salt for two weeks to me!  Last night DH and I had Korean bowl ramen with spam chopped up in it.  Got the junk food craving out of my system, and I went directly to the grocery store afterward to get real food.  (The kids had eaten leftover pizza.)  My dad always sends us home with groceries when we visit, and even though we don't buy spam ourselves, we have it every now and then because he sends it with us.   We're in the trying to clean out the pantry and fridge mode now, in case we actually end up with a contract on the place we want and have to move here pretty soon.

MountainDon

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on January 05, 2009, 12:02:28 PM
Spam AND mushroom gravy??? 

I believe the last time I ate that was a good 25 years ago; maybe 30.   :D

Homegrown Tomatoes

tonight was bul-go-gi (Korean bbq beef) and rice and slaw made with broccoli, cilantro and nuts with sesame dressing.  Mighty tasty.

Jens

Just started a pot of baked beans...Boston style, not the pork 'n beans they serve here in Tennessee, saying they are baked beans! 

Now I gotta find that mother earth news bread recipe, and get it going. 

Backwoods Home magazine has a great article this month about eating well on a lean budget.  Pretty basic stuff, but that is what a lot of people need, to be shocked back to the basics. 

Read The Makers Diet, and/or The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved, to be shocked back to food reality!  I didn't even read them, my wife did, but they shocked me through the information osmosis that is marriage.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: Jens on January 08, 2009, 11:37:52 AM
Read The Makers Diet, and/or The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved, to be shocked back to food reality!  I didn't even read them, my wife did, but they shocked me through the information osmosis that is marriage.
;D  Jens, you sound like my husband... he gets a lot of that information osmosis, too. 

Supper tonight will be chicken, maybe bbq, maybe hot/sweet/sour sauce with apricots... haven't decided for sure yet.  And some cucumber kimchee, and some sort of salad or slaw.

Jens

Are you or the husband Korean?  One of my best friends is Korean, I could never stand Kimchee, but I would always let his mom cook Duk Man Doo Gook.  Very tasty soup! 

Beans turned out alright, didn't have enough molasses though, or brown sugar, just not quite sweet enough.  Oh well, still better than what they sell around here, and much cheaper too!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Jens

I've done it!!!  I think that I just made the worst meal ever eaten by man.  Soggy white rice, with tomatoes.  Was going to serve beans and rice, but we had beans for breakfast, so I thought I would mix it up.  I am now going to have to just hope that the wife can fix it, and turn it into something else, or there goes another $2.50 in the compost.

Hopefully dinner will be something a darn site better. 

On the bright side, the kids didn't complain about there being tomatoes in it, of course, I did have to threaten them before hand heh
They are driving me nuts today!  I am too a little bit. [frus]

Not trying to drift the thread, but thank you for reading!

fishing_guy

Even though I finally got back to work after a 7 month layoff, eating out just didn't sound right...

So I stopped by my favorite meat market and picked up 6 seasoned pork chops and a quart of Italian Pasta Salad.   I picked up some asparagus at the grocery and headed home to grill out for my wife and our best friends.

My son-in-law called me in-between and needed me to fill in for boot hockey, so I did that for a couple of hours and then fired up the grill with charcoal and Pecan wood.  Asparagus went in the steam of the rice cooker which was making Minnesota wild rice.

About an hour smoking in the Pecan wood smoke, and then about 5 minutes over a hot fire to finish them off.

All agreed they were about the best chops we ever had.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

Spanakopita! Greek Spinach pie. Filo pastry made with real butter; spinach and feta cheese. Yummy good.

Homegrown Tomatoes

That sounds good, Don.  Who made it?

Quote from: Jens on January 09, 2009, 09:30:19 AM
Are you or the husband Korean?  One of my best friends is Korean, I could never stand Kimchee, but I would always let his mom cook Duk Man Doo Gook.  Very tasty soup! 

Beans turned out alright, didn't have enough molasses though, or brown sugar, just not quite sweet enough.  Oh well, still better than what they sell around here, and much cheaper too!

Jens, my husband is Korean.  Well, actually he is American now, but he was born and raised in Korea.  We met when he came to the US for graduate school and ended up in the first ESL class I ever taught.  Have you ever tried any kimchee other than the standard pechu kimchee (napa cabbage kimchee)?  A lot of people who don't like the regular kimchee find that they like some of the other types... cucumber kimchee is usually the favorite.  I like dong-chim-ee a lot too.  And mu sangchae.  It seems like people either really love or hate Korean food, though.  Not too many people are neutral on it.  It's funny that you mention Duk Man doo guk. I used to love it, but we spent a month in Korea during the first trimester of my second pregnancy, and my father-in-law made some for me because he thought that it was a "healthy" food for a pregnant woman.  It smelled so good, and I sat down and took two bites and then spent the rest of the morning sick as a dog.  It was the only time I ever really had morning sickness with any of the girls, and to this day I associate that soup with feeling sick.  I don't think I've eaten it since then. 

lonelytree

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on January 06, 2009, 08:24:46 PM
tonight was bul-go-gi (Korean bbq beef) and rice and slaw made with broccoli, cilantro and nuts with sesame dressing.  Mighty tasty.

I love bulgogi!!! With sticky rice, grilled veggies and cheap beer. Best food that I had in Korea.

I have never tried the spam and mushroom soup thing. Truthfully, it kind of scares me. I usually slice spam thin and (over) season it. Then grill or fry it.

MountainDon

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on January 14, 2009, 04:37:31 PM
That sounds good, Don.  Who made it?

Moi! Filo dough is available in the frozen foods section, usually near dessert items. .

sparks

Local grown steaks, taters, lima beans.

Going for a fudge bar shortly.........yummm

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Redoverfarm

Homemade chili (hot), french bread & butter.  A meal in itself.  As for the temp of the chili I personally like mine hot but the rest of the family does not.  So I keep a bottle of Mother Puckers around to spice mine up.  The boy is just getting into the temperature change.  Dashes "Texas Pete" on about anything now.  As for the chili it has to have a little cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.  The wife likes a little sour cream to top her chili off.

MountainDon

Split green pea soup; homemade with a ham bone in it and of course some ham.  :)

Homemade rye bread (bread machine, square loaf); tastes the same as traditional baked to me.

Redoverfarm

Yeah Don I would have loved to have had some homemade bread or rolls with the chili but a working mom only has so much time for supper.  Even then we don't get finished until after 7:00PM.