What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Homegrown  just wanted to let you know that the wife fixed your peasant bread a few days ago. It was really good. She made rolls for supper and a loaf for toast and sandwiches. Neither lasted long.

Sassy you need to tell Glenn to chew up his food and not just scarf it down. I am sort of like glenn just scarf it down.  That has been my lifestyle when I worked.  Not much time to eat so you did it as quickly as possible before getting called to somthing. Cattle usually don't digest all of their corn either but hogs are a different story. Completely digested.  Same thing happens to my little girl when corn is in season.

Sassy

yep, I gotta make it - I even have the recipe on my desktop in my computer - everytime I turn the computer on there's "Homegrown's bread recipe"   d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on February 06, 2008, 10:13:07 PM
So, Glenn, what you're saying is, "Corn in = Corn out?"

We had the last of the corn on the cob from the freezer, mini-frozen pizzas, and smoothies made with frozen bananas, strawberries, and mangoes... the smoothie would have been plenty, but the rest didn't hurt.  I'm stuffed.  We finished remodeling the sewing room and it is cute as can be now.  Now we're painting the dining nook outside the kitchen.  Hopefully we'll finish that and get the trim back up by tomorrow morning.  The movers couldn't come assess our stuff today because of the heavy snows.  Any of y'all have damage from the tornadoes?

Corn is good, Homegrown -- Fritos is my main corn problem especially when they accidentally made it with Frankencorn, but corn on the cob is great, and an excellent marker to time the efficiency of your system in processing nutrition-- especially if you don't chew it well. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

There's a poll for you...  :o  ::)   what's your transit time for kernel corn?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Would that be what is called an exit poll? ???

Homegrown Tomatoes

Red, in light of the conversation going on here, I'll skip over the last several comments and just say thanks for your comments on the bread.   ::)

glenn kangiser

Drew

I think it's going to be alphaveggie soup tonight.  Dan is sick and my dad's in town and I need an administration night to do the taxes, 4H stuff, and a few other things. 

Admin night was going to be last night but Dan fell sick, the Old Man couldn't get on my wireless network (It's my fault for purposely blocking his two laptops - My other machines work fine.  Issues?  Naaaaw!), Dave's girlfriend was over and neither of them have a license to drive her home, and KathyUptheStreet's computer slagged itself and I'm the local computer plumber.  Dinner was  homemade pizza.  It's great, but it means making the dough from scratch (Which my daughter, Robin, handled) and prepping a bunch of stuff in between router restarts.

So it's soup tonight.  Yup.

Hmm.  I just categorized homemade soup as fast food.  I think there's something good happening here.  :)

benevolance

exit poll

only here ;)

I love corn and until recently my wife loved it too... I hate not cooking with it.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Dinner was Korean food.  I had bi-bim-bab (rice with a fried egg, a little ground beef, mushrooms, fiddle head ferns, bean sprouts, and bellflower root, and hot pepper sauce.) It also came with the usual side dishes and a little bowl of mustard green soup, which was really tasty.  DH had another soup that is hot and spicy, but not sure how to spell it... tastes good, though.  Kids had kimbab (seaweed and rice rolls, like sushi without the raw fish.)  Unfortunately I'm not sure the baby liked Korean food as it has been pounding on the insides of my stomach ever since :-\

Homegrown Tomatoes

Korean noodles.  I'm still hungry AND have heartburn. 

fishing_guy

A nice dinner with our bowling partners.  We provided Jumbalya and King Crab legs and they provided the wine.  We then played a game of Pinochle (my wife provided the Whine for the game), a game of Spite & Malice, and to finish off the night, a game of Fill or Bust.

Off to the RV show tomorrow.  My wife wants an RV.  I want to build.  A hard decision! ???
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight was Korean food for Lunar New Year at a friend's house.  They cooked a lot of different stuff, and we contributed fried anchovies and Korean "pancakes" made with veggies and tuna.  Everything was good, but again, I'm thinking this baby doesn't like Korean food as much as his/her sisters.  I am getting pummelled to death from the inside out.  Maybe it's the kimchee?  Or maybe the baby likes kimchee and is doing the happy dance?

Homegrown Tomatoes

Venison stew with kimchee, carrots, celery, green onions, perilla seeds, black pepper, and spinach.  It was really good, and the funny thing was my husband didn't even realize he was eating deer meat.  We had tabouleh for a side and a dessert of half-frozen berries with whipped cream for dessert.  I managed to get the freezer in the basement completely cleaned out today, which is a big accomplishment.  Now, to get it thawed and cleaned out and moved into the laundry room.

tanya

Well I made homeade chicken soup because my son said he would be home for dinner but he isn't here and I already filled up on nachos and sticky buns so I guess we will have that soup tomorrow. It's good though, lots of fresh vegies, garlic,and chicken.   
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'm hoping we'll be going out for dinner.  Been a heck of a day.   I might oughtta start cooking something though because DH is going to be home late from work.

Maybe some cornbread and ??? chicken stew or something....  kind of running out of stuff again and I'm so cold and tired of being cold.  Pregnant women aren't supposed to get cold, are they?  I always had that "internal heater" feeling with the other two... too cold even for that to help here.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Went out.  Had turnip greens, fried okra, grilled catfish, and bread.  Was pretty good.

glenn kangiser

Fresh beets and chicken - ice cream for desert.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 12, 2008, 01:54:10 AM
- ice cream for desert.
[/quote
Glenn, the day you don't finish off dinner with ice cream will be the day after a total failure of your refrigeration equipment.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

We have plenty - two freezers -- still on solar --20 cu ft and 8 cu ft and a propane fridge with room for around five  1/2 gallons -- the real old one - 1934 onlt has a small freezer -- could maybe do 1 or 2.  We will manage somehow. :)

The chest freezers hold it best though.

MountainDon

The Underground Cabin --- a Bazillion Flavors...   :)

glenn kangiser

...must have variety...get bored easily.

Drew

Freezers on a solar system.  Nice.  Do you feel like describing your system for us, Glenn (Even in a new thread?)?  I'm not the power hog I one was, but I'd like to plug my guitar in at night every now and then.  And run the irrigation system.  And the lights.  I can size and do the math, but I'd love to hear what someone has done for real.

8)

glenn kangiser

I have to get to work, but the short description, - and there is more here in the forum somewhere.

Probably a bit over 2000 watts of panels set up for 24 volt system

2 4024 trace sine wave inverters stacked to make 240v

1 - 1000 watt Bergey XL1 wind generator which supplies around 1/4 or so if our power.

...all connected together in a home brewed set up by me -- a timer and relays control water pumping when excess power is generated using the excess for water storage rather than wasting it. 

Batteries  - 12 L16 375ah batteries series paralleled for 24v at around 1100ah with about 1/2 usable to keep reasonable charge.  We occasionally run too low but bring them back up with the generator in extended cloudy periods.  Haven't had a problem in the last few weeks since the big storm.