What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Last night it was honey glazed pork fillets, snap peas, maccaroni & cheese.  Personally I can live with or without maccaroni & cheese but the DW like's to keep it interesting for the kids.

glenn kangiser

Last night was American cheese slices with the plastic ripped off and broken into 4 pieces and stuffed between 2 Ritz crackers.  A lot of them -- and Arizona Grapeade.  Suzy had a carry along bag of dog food --- we were prospecting  and getting a bit of color. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Drew

So when you get gold, you eat crackers for dinner?  I hope I never strike it rich.  I'll starve! ;D

I used to make the blue box mac 'n cheese with a can of tuna mixed in.  It got me through a lot of tight weeks.  Later I found it was one of the few things the toddlers would eat.  Now they hoover the stuff like the 110 pound eating machines they are.

Survival food -> baby food -> cob spackle.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Today I'm going to have to make a trip to the grocery store, like it or not.  It is seriously cold outside, and I'd rather sit inside wearing my coat and drinking hot soup and tea and the like, but the sun is shining, and maybe it'll feel warm through the truck window?  Just wish I could hibernate.  May make some rye muffins for lunch for me and the kids.... and some lentils.  Doesn't sound that good, but pickings are getting somewhat slim around here.
On one hand, I really want to just stock up so that we don't keep having to go shopping, but on the other hand, I am desperately hoping to move soon (and so is DH), in which case, it would be silly to have a lot of food to have to get rid of.   Maybe I can just cook with the odds and ends in the pantry/freezer today (ala. salmon patties, steamed frozen veggies, etc.) and have DH stop and get TP on the way home (which is probably the main thing we really need to have TODAY.)  ;) 

Sigh.  I hate winter.  Think I'll go bake something to warm the house up.  Besides, I need to check on the kids.  They are way too quiet and it involves glitter glue and tempera paint.

Daddymem

Leftover hodge podge...mmmmmmmm
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

benevolance

MountainDon

More salmon... baked this time as I didn't feel like doing the outdoor grill in the cold tonight. Steamed green beans and cheesy garlic wheat bread.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Chicken breast filets, baked potato, whole kernnel corn.  Taste pretty good after battling the elements all day. 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Drew on January 15, 2008, 11:46:58 AM
So when you get gold, you eat crackers for dinner?  I hope I never strike it rich.  I'll starve! ;D

I used to make the blue box mac 'n cheese with a can of tuna mixed in.  It got me through a lot of tight weeks.  Later I found it was one of the few things the toddlers would eat.  Now they hoover the stuff like the 110 pound eating machines they are.

Survival food -> baby food -> cob spackle.

I bought it for lunch in case I had to work out in the boonies, but... the work I thought might happen didn't so made my delivery and rushed to the gold field.

I  didn't want to leave so that made dinner.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

cannot do food in a cardboard box much anymore...Unless it is Ritz crackers and a jar of Peanut Butter...I take them along with me on long trips in the truck going after cars. Peanut butter is like Crack for me..I eat a large jar a week and have my whole life

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight is omelettes with fried taters.  There's some leftover ham and pepper jack cheese and bell peppers... I'll have to see if I can scrounge up some maters, too.  I love breakfast for supper.  For a long time we had a tradition that Friday nights were breakfast nights, but I don't know what happened to it.  We'd always either have breakfast or a homemade pizza with pineapples (sorry Sassy, but they are really good.) 

I never did convince myself to go to the store yesterday.  I took the dog out and checked the mail... that's as far as I made it.  We had rye muffins for breakfast this morning... haven't thought too much about lunch.  Maybe we'll eat out and then go grocery shopping...I know, I'm terribly lazy.  I just hate being cold!  Today is slightly warmer, but it takes a turn for the worse the rest of the week. By Saturday, I think our high temp is supposed to be 10 degrees.  UGH.   c*

Sassy

Well, last night, after we went grocery shopping, we had steaks barbecued in the Round Oak stove, salad with mixed greens & macaroni & cheese - ice cream for dessert.  I just got back from the valley last night - it was all fogged in, ugh, now wake up today to "cloud" cover engulfing our mountain  :(  but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny.  I did get out on Monday & worked in the yard at our house in the valley for several hours, it was sunny - raking leaves, cleaning walkways, trimming grapevines & rose bushes etc.  Lots to do. 

Haven't done much today except make coffee & wash dishes & sit down to the internet...   c*  Glenn went to the dentist early, I have to go this afternoon  :(
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

QuoteWe'd always either have breakfast or a homemade pizza with pineapples (sorry Sassy, but they are really good.)

Funny you should mention that, Homegrown...Last night when Sassy made the Mac n' Cheese, she had a can of pineapple sitting on the stove.  I mentioned it might make a good combination with the Mac n' Cheese.  :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Why not, cheese and pineapple are good together on pizza.... ;D

I'm off to make omelettes.  I did go to the store today.  Darn expensive trip too... dollar doesn't go as far as it did just  a few months ago, even.  I got three bags of groceries, no meat, no processed foods except the maple syrup, and two tubes of toothpaste, and it cost over $100.  Got to move soon.  Got to get someplace where I can grow stuff during the fall and early spring, if not winter.  It's like that feeling when you dive too deep and then suddenly you realize you're running out of air and you just have to get to someplace where you can breathe... homesick doesn't come close to describing it!

Daddymem

Rosemary pork, broccoli and cheese, and parmesan potato wedges...dang I got it good.

benevolance

Beans, weiners and pepparoni... (Noxious gas warning in effect)...Homemade brown bread...

glenn kangiser

After you two guys posted, I think I'm glad I'm on the west coast, but I still wouldn't mind having a plateful.

Homegrown Tomatoes

:-\ Baby was crowding my stomach too much to eat dinner, so I made DH an omelette and some scrambled eggs for the kids, and I had a handful of almonds and a pear.  Later, a glass of milk.
Right about now, that omelette's starting to sound good, though, so I'd best go to bed!

benevolance

you have not lived Glenn until you have had Hot pepparoni with the beans and weiners...Cut the pepparoni up  into chunks the size of the end of your little finger.. it adds a good kick to the flavour of the beans and the weiners...my wife resisted the idea at first but once she tasted it she was hooked.

She farts almost as much as I do...So we are peas in a pod...Hers do not peel the paint off the walls though or make your eyes water ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

rofl [scared]  Maybe this should be the "What's After Dinner" thread???

Tonight it is ham and tater soup.  And some fruit and/or salad.

Drew

It's another blood donation day, so I get whatever I want!

And today I want a fritatta and fruit. 

And a 4x4 truck.

tanya

Last night I had steamed vegies and chicken.  It was really good I didn't think I would like steamed chicken breast but the flavor was actually pretty good and I cut it up and mixed it in with the vegies and seasoning so it didn't look so bad. Easy to cook and pretty mcuh fat free so I think it might be one of my more popular meals.  Cake mix straight from the box for dessert, I still have a lot of that left. Tonight I have a guest coming home with me and we will be hungry after that long trip so I am thinking meatloaf, baked potatoes and steamed broccli.  Chocolates for dessert. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Daddymem

Corned beef and cabbage and homemade Irish soda bread...better check the wind direction.  ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, I just changed dinner plans... it is snowing like crazy and it seemed like a good day for beef stew and some of Drew and Dan's naan again.  For any of you who haven't tried that recipe yet, you oughtta... (I mixed about 1/2 whole wheat with it, though... it still tasted great.)
Maybe tomorrow will be a good potato soup day... it is supposed to be even colder tomorrow, so I like how potato soup seems to warm you up from the inside out...

Sassy

We have SUN today -  [cool]  I took out a roast - haven't decided how to cook it yet...  I don't want to be cooped up all day inside - so what in the world am I doing on this dang computer?  ???  d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free