What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Well -- Sassy has made a gigantic bucket of Chili.  I am going to eat a big ol' bunch of it and just sit back and see what happens. hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

I made vegetables, barley and bean soup with homeade bisquits this time.  It was good But it made me so tired. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Dinner was brisket, corn on the cob, coleslaw, baked potato, and cornbread.  Nice thing was that I didn't have to do the dishes. ;D

Redoverfarm

Glenn seems like the craz around here with chili is to dress it up with some grated chedder cheese and some sour cream. Personally I just like to add the hot sauce and let nature take it's course.

Speaking of Cheddar Cheese. I had a friend from Wisconsin that says they use it on apple pie. I just like to add a little ICE CREAM. ;D

Well you still have some evening left but for me it's close to bed time.

Sassy

I'm hoping the evening is quiet...  ::)  I made cornbread & a fresh banana cake for dessert.  The wind has settled down outside, hope we don't have much wind inside  ;)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Apple pie with cheddar is great! Not limited to just chessehead country.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: MountainDon on January 04, 2008, 11:10:59 PM
Apple pie with cheddar is great! Not limited to just chessehead country.

I agree... I've always made it that way (even before moving up here.)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Sassy on January 04, 2008, 10:22:07 PM
I'm hoping the evening is quiet...  ::)  I made cornbread & a fresh banana cake for dessert.  The wind has settled down outside, hope we don't have much wind inside  ;)

Houston, we have a problem.  ???

I think she must have put Beano in this Chili.  These darn things are not working.  May have wasted my whole dinner. :(

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sparks

Hi Folks,  It was beans, scalloped potatoes, and lasagna. (leftovers).  The wife wasn't home and I believe I've mastered the microwave........sparks.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Drew

A veggie burrito from the one joint that still has power and food left.

tanya

I think I will make shepards pie again.  I am gettin gsick of cooking though.  Tomorrow my daughter is coming for dinner so I am making something good.  She wants spaggetti but I am thinking nice thick pork chops.  Either one sounds pretty good I guess.  I have to get the cook back though and the housekeeper.  This domestic crap is killing me. 

MountainDon

We had a London Broil, mashed potatoes, peas and corn.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'm getting sick (cold or something) and so we didn't have much in the way of supper.  It was just a simple smoothie with yogurt, flaxseed, celery, carrot, orange, blueberries, banana, apple and a little milk.  We spent too much time today driving up to Racine to try out a newer Korean restaurant, and this is the second time we've gotten up there and they were closed!  What restaurant doesn't open until 4 o'clock on a Saturday.  We gave up, so we had Thai food for lunch and then the smoothie for supper, and somewhere in between we stopped and bought enough flooring for our whole downstairs... got a good deal on it and hope to get it done pretty quick.  Tonight we're staying up after we put the kids to bed to finish the kitchen (for real this time, even if it means staying up until midnight... besides, the baby is always awake and kicking around until 12:00 or 12:30, so I might as well be productive. 

Drew

I made fritatas and Dan made fingerling potatoes in onions and peppers for dinner.  Robin, our daughter, has been a real sport about her parents going vegetarian and her brother nearly so.  So I picked up a grass-finished rib eye steak (A big ol' sucker, let me tell you) and cooked it up for her with a baked potato.  The pure joy and adulation in her eye was priceless.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We're about to sit down and eat pizza... but, the good news is that the kitchen is pretty much finished!  We were up until 2 this morning finishing the grout, and then after church we came home and worked on cleaning up the mess left over from the grout, and I'm almost ready to take pictures and post a few.  14 months of working on the kitchen... but it sure looks cool. ;D

MountainDon

Hot roast beef sandwiches from last night's left over London Broil, with blue cheese. Green beans side.

Redoverfarm

T-Bone steak, baked potato, broccoli, tossed salad.  Trying to work the beef out of the freezer.  Will be butchering in about 3 weeks and need the room. So I guess it will probably be some kind of beef on a regualr basis for the next week or so. Not good for the HDL and T-Glyc's and such but had a little more left than what we had thought. Been trying to limit to twice a week and it just lasted longer than I thought.

Drew

Dave's making naan and tsatsiki.  His girlfriend is over, so he'll be showing off a bit.  I think Dan is making a new kind of lentil soup to go with.

I thought I would be bummed out about not being the one and only cook around here, but this is okay.  I get to design the farm stuff (Buildings, irrigation system, solar system).  As long as I keep it cheap and effort effective, and if I can explain it clearly, I get to be that guy.

sparks

Hi Folks, The wife and I went out for dinner at a place we've been to for many years. (tho we have not gone there in several months). I couldn't believe it! The steaks were nasty! It was quite apparent to me that they have not only changed suppliers, but cooking methods. Very disappointed.  Sign of the times I guess.......higher price....lower quality. Thinking about getting a quarter side and eating at home all the time. Wish we had enough land for a small garden. Envy you guys.......sparks.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

That's why I have a hard time ordering steaks at a restaurant.  I almost always know I can make them better at home.  There is the rare exception occasionally.

MountainDon

I quit ordering steak in any restaurant I can afford to eat at years ago. I'm never happy with them. Chicen breast is a safer bet. Most of the time.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight is stew and I think I'm going to try Drew's naan recipe and see how it turns out.  The whole house is smoky-smelling this morning because I seasoned some cast iron cookware last night.  My mom got us a big heavy set of camping cast iron cookware in a big wooden trunk... we've had it for a while, but I don't have room to store it in this tiny kitchen (believe me, I'd use it inside if I just had room to put it... but maybe one of these days we'll have a camp trailer and can put it in there.)  Anyway, I wanted to use the dutch oven for something because my other one is a thin enamel one that I don't really care for that much.  I ended up having to clean it 2-3 times before I could even season it.  It smelled and looked like they'd coated it with hydraulic fluid or something similar at the factory to prevent rust.  Anyway, it was a pain to get it cleaned and smoked like crazy when I was seasoning it.  Thankfully it was so warm last night, I just turned on  the ceiling fans and propped open the front door to let the  smoke out.... and darned if I didn't swat a mosquito on the front porch!   We have two days above freezing and already we're getting mosquitoes!!!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 06, 2008, 11:53:22 PM
That's why I have a hard time ordering steaks at a restaurant.  I almost always know I can make them better at home.  There is the rare exception occasionally.

We quit ordering steaks at restaurants after our oldest (then 3) embarrassed us to death at a local steak house.  It was probably the first and only time we went out to a steak place after moving north.  DD knows her steaks. Anyway, it was not a kid-friendly place and the lights were low and there was soft music playing.  DD walks in and bellows, "Why is it so dark in here!??  What are they trying to hide?  Why is everyone whispering?" etc.  Then, she got upset because there were no steaks, even chopped steaks, on the kids menu.  The food was expensive, so I convinced the waitress to cut my steak in half and serve it with it's own baked potato and salad.  The waitress comes back to check on us a few minutes after we got our food and asked DD how her steak was... she held up a finger and chewed and chewed until she could swallow and then said flatly, "Like shoe leather.  Besides, you don't have Heinz 57."   :-[  I wanted to crawl under the table.  The steak was a little tough, though not exactly shoe leather... we never went there again.  There is one other place we've been once or twice since we moved here that has really good steaks, but we always order the girls a chop steak with sauteed onions and they split it (they just don't do "kid" food.)

glenn kangiser

Sounds like she knows what she is talking about - and not afraid to tell it like it is...and has probably listened to mommy. :)

tanya

NO dinner tonight the kids are all gone and I have a big old box of cheeze its to work through.