What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

My husband refers to that condition as "food blindness" and he suffers greatly from it too.  I flew home last August for my grandma's 80th birthday party, and  when I called my husband the second day to see if he was feeding the kids, he replied that they'd had a boiled egg for breakfast, ramen noodles and boiled egg for lunch, and they were about to eat dinner, which was something like a boiled egg and slice of bread.  Meanwhile, I'd stocked the fridge with stuff, already prepared, and had even shown him before I left... when I got home the kids were thrilled to see me because they were starving for ANYTHING besides boiled eggs!

glenn kangiser

At least I know I'm not the only one with the affliction.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

a little land in Washington and you can raise enough food for a large family and self sustain everyone...

Amazing climate for growing out there...
Not bad here in the south either..my winter tomatoes are still going... and I am still picking lemons off the trees... but I think there is more water out in Washington state...and when you have a good climate temputure wise more water usually means larger crop yields.

It gets plenty hot here but it gets dry too

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 11, 2007, 01:52:28 PM
At least I know I'm not the only one with the affliction.
He also has a condition called "clothes blindness" which causes him to wake up every morning and then grill me with the questions, "Where's my socks?" and "Where are my shirts?"  and "Where are my shorts?" until he wakes me up thoroughly enough to go fix him breakfast.  I found a fairly good remedy for this by making him put up his own clean clothes... I still fold, iron, and hang his clothes on hangers, but I put them on his side of the bed afterward so that if I am lucky enough to get into bed first, he has no choice but to put them away where they belong, and consequently, he has no excuse for asking me where all the different articles of clothing are... it only backfires when he gets to bed first, which is often, and he moves the pile of his clean clothes to my side of the bed. >:(  I'm trying to talk him into using his profit-sharing bonus this year to pay for lasik, to see if it improves either of these "blindnesses". :)

MountainDon

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on December 11, 2007, 11:16:07 AM
I've never tried a store-bought lasagna,
Michael Angelo's  ::) Lasagna and other frozen Italian dishes are pretty good. Sam's Club sells larger sizes and Kroger's has smaller, even individual serving sizes. Very handy for rush and or lazy occasions.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Burritos. Our own with leftover roast pork loin and chicken. Grated cheese, lettuce, jalapeƱos, sour cream, salsa.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Leftover chicken and rice casserole, salad, and homemade tomato-cheese bread (yummy...can't wait to try toasting a slice for tomorrow's breakfast.)  The fridge is getting pretty sparse, but I have to wait until Thursday to go shopping, and hopefully by then the roads will be a little clearer.

glenn kangiser

We went to the store and got 6 fresh flavors of Ice Cream -- well - I restocked on a couple. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I forgot to mention, we had peppermint ice cream for dessert.

glenn kangiser

How could you?  Now go say 50 hail Marys and sin no more. ::)

OK - you are forgiven -- at least you didn't forget to eat it. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

;D  Hey, guess what???  I saw the sun today.  Think I'll go eat some more icecream.  I wish they had Braum's up here... I want some of that dark chocolate cappucino crunch stuff.

MountainDon

Being on my own tonight, and feeling lazy and busy with some things I elected to buy a DiGiorno frozen pizza on the way back from the parts store. It was good.

Note to self, and anyone else:
Remember to remove the round cardboard support the pizza comes on before placing in oven.  :-[

After 21 minutes the pizza was done (on top). Imagine my surprise and chagrin when I rolled the pizza cutter and found something extra under the slice I was removing.  :o ??? Placing it back in the oven helped crisp the crust a bit, but it wasn't like it should have been.  :-[ :-[

Redoverfarm

Sons birthday so he chose dinner.  Rib eye steak(homegrown), toss salad with blue cheese dressing, broccoli, macaroni and cheese.  In a way I wish his birthday was everyday. Was going to have a bake potato but had that last night with hamburgers(again home grown).

Homegrown Tomatoes

Corn on the cob, grilled spicy catfish, waldorf salad, and peppermint ice cream.

glenn kangiser

Good on the ice cream, Homegrown. :)

Unfrozen nuked meatloaf smothered in ketchup and salt, cranberry orange relish, rutabaga & dumpling vegetable soup, potato chips, Cherry Vanilla Cream Soda, and when all of that settles -- maybe some Very Cherry Ice Cream.

benevolance

glenn yuck dude... too many things going on all at once...

I like it simple... well more simple than that...

So hard to get really good meatloaf... Someday I will open a restaurant and it will be like the one in Arlo Guthries song... You can get anything you want... Including to die for meatloaf, Baked Beans, Chili, Soup, Stews.... Hot roast beef sandwiches will come from an actual roast that was cooked in the kitchen.. not from a deli meat container with processed pressed roast beef....

It is almost impossible to get real sliced off the roast roast beef when you order a hot roast beef sandwich... I remember being a kid travelling to California all the time with my dad.... we would stop at restaurants in truck stops and they had real mashed potatoes with real roast beef off a roast cooked in the kitchen... and fresh not frozen veggies

you know like Grandma used to make.... Now it comes frozen and the potatoes are instant... the beef is processed roast beef roll... No fresh homemade bread.... And it costs $10 a plate.... Yuck

Sorry for the rant

I had a couple of peanut butter sandwiches for supper... I removed all the gas heaters from the house today... put the second coat of paint on the Sunroom...So I did not have time to cook anything...I polished off the last of the homemade bread...I will make more in the morning...

I sometimes feel like I am 10 years old because I still get goosebumps for fresh bread peanut butter sandwiches and cold milk... just like I was 10

Tomorrow I am trying out a new Stew recipee for supper... ;D gotta spice things up every now and then.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 12, 2007, 10:17:26 PM

Unfrozen nuked meatloaf smothered in ketchup and salt, cranberry orange relish, rutabaga & dumpling vegetable soup, potato chips, Cherry Vanilla Cream Soda, and when all of that settles -- maybe some Very Cherry Ice Cream.
Ug, Glenn, how did you feel afterward??? [toilet]  I always heard that you should never eat anybody's meatloaf except your mom and your wife's... but smothering it in ketchup sounds like something my husband would do.  He puts ketchup on everything, just like a kid... he even ruins stuff like Philly beef and swiss with ketchup.  Blah!  (I admit, when there's no tabasco or salsa, I like ketchup on eggs, though.)

Homegrown Tomatoes

I intend to eat out tonight if I have any say in things.  I want steak and eggs or something similar... an omelette or something.  That's one thing I gotta say for this area.  I love all the little mom and pop greasy spoon restaurants that serve a million things all day long, including breakfast.  And I love that all of them serve soups, winter and summer.  Back home, in most little restaurants, they only serve soup and chili if it is cold outside.

benevolance

i hate the soup and chili when it is a rip off...I took my wife out for supper last saturday and it was a rib and wing place...and the pulled pork plate came with a thing of red beef stew (meant it was tomato sauce based with corn and spices not bad) the portion was ridiculously small 4 ounces on a styro container...I looked on the menu and to buy that 4 ounces of stew cost $2.50! I was shocked...the next size up was a 8 ounce and it was $5.00 that is still smaller than a regular bowl we would use at home for cereal or whatever...and they sold a larger container 16 ounce and that was like 9 bucks!

I know I could easily eat 16 ounces of soup or stew....But nobody should have to pay 9 bucks for a real life sized bowl of soup... It is ridiculous how small the portions are here for soup stews and chili... Complete rip off...

Hmm another interesting idea...Soup Stew and Chili restaurant with real life sized portions without the rip off prices.... Good idea

Homegrown Tomatoes

Benevolance, I used to think I'd like to own a restaurant where I just served soups, stews, chili and different homemade breads...Have a choice of three or or four of each every day, no two days exactly alike.  I told one of my friends about my idea and she said, "They already have them... they're called soup kitchens." :P 

Up here, most of these little places soup comes with everything.  For $5-6 you can get a sandwich, soup, bread, and fries or chips, way more than anyone needs to eat in one meal.

benevolance

where are you at homegrown?

There are a few old timey places here where you can eat reasonable... no frills paper plates and plastic forks... pulled pork plate with a side of Slaw and a Tea for $7 bucks... they are fastly disappearing and being replaced with the chain type of eateries. Where a side costs 3 bucks and the cheapest thing on the menu is 10 bucks

MountainDon

Marinated grilled salmon. Hash brown potatoes. Tossed salad.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on December 13, 2007, 08:03:15 AM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 12, 2007, 10:17:26 PM

Ug, Glenn, how did you feel afterward??? [toilet]  I always heard that you should never eat anybody's meatloaf except your mom and your wife's... but smothering it in ketchup sounds like something my husband would do.  He puts ketchup on everything, just like a kid... he even ruins stuff like Philly beef and swiss with ketchup.  Blah!  (I admit, when there's no tabasco or salsa, I like ketchup on eggs, though.)

Not too bad, Homegrown and Peter --- Sassy made the meatloaf --- I simply drank 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and took a Pepcid Complete afterward. [noidea'

benevolance

cannot hold down vinegar... instant sickness for me.. the smell of vinegar is like a gag reflex trigger on me...

Thankfully I do not have to eat those rolaids or Pepcid  or tums... Never had heartburn other than the time I drank a whole roaster pan full of gravy at thanksgiving I was young and foolish...

Mostly just getting away from deep friend foods and eating more bread and vegetables I find I rarely ever get indigestion or even feel bloated...

glenn is it worth it.. having to take pills or suffer from heartburn to eat those foods?

glenn kangiser

Once it is done -- all that is left is to get over it --- there is no choice.  ::)

Think I'll go have some Ice cream.

BTW --Nuked  Barbecued chicken wings from a freezer bag -- acorn squash -- rolls --potato chips-- soda Pop.  Sassy says to tell yo at least that it was Hansens.

She went to visit ill relatives and I worked at a real job today so got home late.