Nice Hat Rack

Started by MountainDon, January 11, 2010, 08:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

I wondered, and am not sure. John (redoverfarm) sent me the top image. I found the other on the web. The hooves on the second one, walking away, "bother" me a little. Enlarging it to pixel level doesn't bring up anything obviously fake. ??? Skillfully done if p'shopped. It would be nice if there were some shadows.

One anomaly I found was some of the photos I found claimed the moose was in Montana. One set claimed it was in the northeast... forget what state though.  d*

I have seen an actual moose rack that was about 7 feet across.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

I have seen a moose so big that when it was standing next to a stop sign, you could not see the sign. Dang beast eclisped it with its body...Yup, body not head. So the next time you are at a stop sign take a good look and think that the back of such creature can be the height of a stop sign.

Ernest T. Bass

Quote from: MountainDon on January 11, 2010, 10:20:55 PM
The hooves on the second one, walking away, "bother" me a little.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw it.. Seems there should also be some shadow from the body along the right side of the road, judging by the angle of the sun and the shadows from the tree line..

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

rwanders

Alaskan moose can definitely get a little bigger than the lower 48 variety----bulls with 60"+ antler spreads are not uncommon---live weights can approach 1500 lbs. That really comes home to you if you drop one a few miles from your vehicle----Alaska law requires you to salvage all but horns, hide and guts and if caught the penalties can be quite severe including loss of hunting license, fines and jail.  

ps: Sarah Palin pointed out that there is plenty of room in Alaska for all our wild animals---right next to the mashed potatoes.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

diyfrank

Opening it in notepad suggests some heavy editing.
Look a little fishy.
Home is where you make it

StinkerBell

Anchoarge is where I encounter moose.  Beastly things. I was more affraid of them then bear.

rwanders

:D It can be a little disconcerting when you turn a corner in downtown Anchorage (pop 280000) and come face to face with one----also have them in my yard quite often in winter---makes walking the dog at night interesting. Amazing how one can be standing 20 yards away without you seeing it right away. Sometimes the dog doesn't even notice it.

StinkerBell

I just moved to Anchorage from Phoenix. Got a job delivering the Anchorage Daily News. I was cutting across lawns to toss the paper on the porch. I thought to myself what great lawn boulders here in Anchorage, alot like Phoenix. Until that boulder swung its head around and looked at me. I was just a few feet away. Thought I was going to wee on myself.

Squirl

You never really know about the size.  It might be an edited picture, but there is nothing exact to give scale.  That could be an atv size road and new growth trees.  Take the picture at a lower angle and it will give the appearance of greater size too.

This road is only 5-6 ft wide.  Just large enough for my jeep. A horse walking across the road shot from a low angle would look that big.

RainDog

I'd bet Squirl's got the idea. ATV track.

Still a big bugger, though.
NE OK

MountainDon

The more I loook at the first picture, the more I think it is real. This image is cropped, enlarged and tonally enhanced.

If this was photoshopped the brush in front of the hind leg was artfully done.

The first images I posted were resized to a larger size. That might have something to do with altered looking code.  ???   

MaineRhino

Wow, nice rack!  Looks like they set their trail camera very low to the ground.

My camera was set at about 7' when it caught this little bull.

kenhill

I live in Anchorage too and have been chased by them while cross-country skiing.  You never know what they are going to do.  Other times I have stopped to get a drink of water, and there is a moose ignoring me from about 15 feet away.

bayview

The images are heavily Photoshopped!  Fairly well done though  . . .

Here is my rendition of the same bull with 5 legs . . . Mutant?  This took less than 3 minutes.  I've been manipulating images for years. . . Way to much time on my hands.   d*

Notice the lack of shadow, a lot of doubling, tripling of background, etc.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

rwanders

Photoshopped or not, anyone who lives in Alaska can testify to how tall these critters are------when you hit one with a car or truck they often will come across the hood and through your windshield. Somewhere around 300 are hit around Anchorage each year. Occasionally, one will attack someone---usually not fatal though a few years ago two were killed by moose attacks. Have often seen them walk up to a 48" chain link fence and step over it like it wasn't even there. We seldom have to trim our bushes or hedge----the moose do that nicely each winter while the brownies and black bears usually take care of any dog food and bird seed left on the back porch during the summer.

diyfrank

The one thing that gets me is the amount of coverage in that photo. Its far enough away to get all those trees in the frame and  still see their tops. I would estimate the bull to be 12' to 15' at the shoulders.  Or maybe the picture was faked.  :-\

Yes camera angle can do a lot but it looks all wrong to me.   ???
Home is where you make it

muldoon

I dunno, image manipulation is not my strong point, but this just still doesnt look right to me. 
I understand the angle, I tell you, I dont know how many times I have had deer hunting pictures taken with the camera down low to make the buck look bigger, but its more than that. 

I also understand mental imagery, could be small growth trees that throw it off.  could be a 4wheeler trail and the perspective is just off.

But what I dont understand is the shadowing. 
In the second picture, looking at the horns, you can see the sun is coming from the left to the right of the picture, all the right side is lit up on angles that would face the sun if it were to be in the left most sky.  same is true with the moose in the first picture, especially as the light hits his back right quarter.  If the sun was towards the right side of the pciture, his entire quarter would be illuminated, but it isnt - just his top mostly. 

Now look at the ground on the photo, the shadows are identicale between the image, especially the two spots where light is shoing through.  If the sun was on the right, how come the moose doesnt cast a shadow?  how come there are "bright spots" where the moose shadow can be? 

again, I dunno - it didnt look right when I first saw it but could not put my finger on it.  I originally thought photoshop, then nahh, its one of Dons trailcam pictures so it cant be.  Since it does not come with Dons word on authenticity, I revert to back to my original thought of something not quite right. 

Ernest T. Bass

Quote from: bayview on January 12, 2010, 10:01:32 PM
   Notice the lack of shadow, a lot of doubling, tripling of background, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by tripling of background? Could you point out what you're seeing?

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

StinkerBell

In Anchoarge during Halloween was when I saw Moose alot! Leaving a carved pumpkin on the porch...It was just an inventation for you to step out your front door and find a moose eating that pumpkin. Christmas lights and moose. Those beast think the lights are berries and eat them. Most "interest" stories in the news started off with "There was this moose" inbetween a lot of distruction then the end of the story "The moose has not been seen since".

RainDog

A photoshop job would have an object of known dimension in the image to use as a reference of size.

The interesting thing about the photos, to me at least, isn't "Hey! What a gigantic moose!", but rather that the mind takes a shortcut and assumes size based on the trail, the size of which is actually an unknown. The fun of it is not the initial sight, but the shift of perspective, the realization of illusion, when you go from seeing, in your mind's eye, the trail as being for full sized vehicles to a smaller trail. Suddenly the moose is no longer a mutant giant, but an adult of ordinary size. The size of the moose changes with what you perceive the size of the trail to be. There is nothing else to reference.

I've just never seen image manipulation that subtle, and frankly don't know what the motivation of someone to manipulate the image without providing concrete perspective would have been .

Disclaimer: I don't know code from pigeon scratch.

NE OK