"Employee Free Choice Act"-- better known as the Card Check

Started by MountainDon, March 12, 2009, 07:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

The "Employee Free Choice Act"-- better known as the Card Check bill--is a proposed law that would change how unions are allowed to organize workers in the United States.

Current law requires that an organizing election (secret ballot) be held if 30 percent of workers sign a union card. But if that's all a union collects, it is likely to lose the vote. In fact, organizers figure they have to collect the signatures of three-quarters of the workers to have a 50-50 chance of winning. Unions typically lose 40 percent of organizing contests.

Organized labor has concocted the so-called Employee Free Choice Act. The bill would force recognition of the union if 50 percent plus one person signed a card, a process known as card check. This removes the choice to make your decision privately, in secret. Only by having a secret ballot can possible retaliation be preempted.

Obama supports the Employee Free Choice Act. I sure don't. To me even the sound of that name strikes me wrong. The Free Choice would be as free as the old/former German Democratic Republic was democratic, IMO. I hope this fails.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Va. is a right to work state and Government employees are forbidden to form unions. There is a lot of concern that the Federal law may overrule us. Senator McDougle sponsored a bill this session that would include the right to work in our Constitution.

Unfortunately, it was tabled in committee by the Democrats.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

NM is a right to work as well. 

But we also have impossible to get rid of, inept, dishonest, overpaid government employees and politicians out the wazoo.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.