"Flushed", a recommended book

Started by MountainDon, April 28, 2007, 09:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I've had a little time on my hands being temporarily immobilized. "Flushed: How the Plumber Saved Civilization" by W. Hodding Carter.
http://www.amazon.com/Flushed-How-Plumber-Saved-Civilization/dp/0743474090/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-6439005-6776913?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177812224&sr=8-2
Entertaining, humorous and educational
From Publishers Weekly
Though it's a pretty safe bet that the only people who pick up this book will be those who interested in sewage, the author's easy humor, average homeowner's point-of-view, and excitement for his subject should ensnare the casual browser. The book's also extensive: Carter, a history and nature author, discusses water-delivery and sewage systems from the height of Rome to the sewers of London to present-day Boston. Anecdotes and interviews pair well with thorough history and technical explanation, and Carter reserves a chapter to discuss the plumber himself: his profession, his training, and why, in the case of a nuclear holocaust, plumbers "will be our knights in droopy jeans." Though he can be a little too loose with the toilet-humor (chapter 12 is called "The Power of Poop"), his populist, live-and-in-color approach could make this a crossover hit.

glenn-k

It may be poop to you, but it's his bread and butter. :-?

fourx

Has there been a thread on outhouses, septic tanks and the like here? It's certainly a major consideration when your home is not hooked up to the usual urban services.

Leo

Oh what the crap :)a friend Harry Trussell  died last spring at 98 in 1936 he invented the potato chip bag.In 1956 he decided all future work would be environmental or food production. he spent two years contemplating SLUDGE very expensive to get rid of food (meat)plants as well as municipal.he was 84 and it was his 105th patent.his idea was a self fueling enclosed plant where a truck would drop its load?the key to his Idea is 70% of all garbage is  wet paper which has a wicking action?Mix the wet paper with sludge to speed the drying process.There is more than enough latent energy in sludge to fuel the plant(fat) in a pellet form introduced to heat with out oxygen you get a hollow ball that has a good r value for insulation..The Japanese have a similar thing that makes beer pallets from wet paper and sludge.to my knowledge no plant like this has been built but he saw a 90% energy reduction on municipal sewage plants.. another good idea on the shelf

glenn-k

QuoteHas there been a thread on outhouses, septic tanks and the like here? It's certainly a major consideration when your home is not hooked up to the usual urban services.

We have touched on them briefly in different discussions.  I know -- now we should go and wash our hands. :-/

There may have been some more information in the old forum that didn't make it here.  Another bit of it in the real old forum may have been  "wiped out".

Maybe we should get back into it a little deeper, Pete.  You could lead the way.  Be sure and wear your waders, and take them off before you go back into the house. :-?

glenn-k

QuoteOh what the crap :)a friend Harry Trussell  died last spring at 98 in 1936 he invented the potato chip bag.In 1956 he decided all future work would be environmental or food production. he spent two years contemplating SLUDGE very expensive to get rid of food (meat)plants as well as municipal.he was 84 and it was his 105th patent.his idea was a self fueling enclosed plant where a truck would drop its load?the key to his Idea is 70% of all garbage is  wet paper which has a wicking action?Mix the wet paper with sludge to speed the drying process.There is more than enough latent energy in sludge to fuel the plant(fat) in a pellet form introduced to heat with out oxygen you get a hollow ball that has a good r value for insulation..The Japanese have a similar thing that makes beer pallets from wet paper and sludge.to my knowledge no plant like this has been built but he saw a 90% energy reduction on municipal sewage plants.. another good idea on the shelf

The only thing I would worry about with the creative use of sludge is there seemed to be a possibility that one problem or another could arise from it later.

Here is an article by the NSA.  http://www.ejnet.org/sludge/nsa/nsa101.html

Probably not the same NSA you were thinking of. :)

MountainDon

Hmmm. Everybody and anybody has an association.   :-/

Interesting tidbit from "Flushed"...  In 2004, only 232 villages/towns in the country of India had sewer systems. 4771 towns mostly used dry latrines (bucket or whatever)  or nothing at all.  :o  India has about 10 million dry latrines and about 600K people (untouchables) who job is to empty them. And they don't use septic pumper trucks like we have.

There's an organization/company that has developed a unique latrine system that is a huge step forward for the people of India.  

http://www.sulabhinternational.org/pg02.htm
http://www.islamonline.net/english/science/2003/09/article14.shtml
http://www.sulabhtoiletmuseum.org/

MountainDon

And a more modern solution to the problem. Dual flush;
http://www.caromausa.com/

from our friends downunder

Sassy

MtnDon, thanks for running the latest scoop by us...  here's a stupid little Q&A game

http://gamescene.com/How_To_Crap_In_The_Woods.html

glenn-k

Studies in India agree with other information I have read on outhouses.  The bugs don't get more than about 10feet away before they are cleaned up.  Not much money in a simple system though. :-/

Their system seems to be just a combined septic and drain field, alternating use as each  gets full.

fourx

Get  back into it a little deeper? OK, Glenn- seems I'm in the hot seat- I'll try not to paper over the cracks.. :o
Don, that Caroma duel-flush system you posted has been copied by every manufacurer here and duel-flush is required by building regulations in all new homes, and has been since the late '80's. As for the Indian system, unless India has changed a great deal in the twenty years since I was last there, most calls of nature are answered in the open air, with the aid of a container of water and the left hand...much the same system applies throughout Asia and SE Asia, and beaches serve the same purpose, the tide cleans things up.

glenn-k

Dual flush is not something new, guys.  I think I may have pioneered and perfected the technique over the years. :-/  

Consider with me a possible typical scenario. :-?

It all starts with the under the armpit courtesy flush.  Usually this is done absentmindedly with the left hand passing under the right arm and tripping the lever as you continue reading your favorite piece of literature.  

This is all fine and dandy until you fail to notice that it didn't go down.  In this situation it is best if you weren't sitting there day dreaming, because the second courtesy flush is about to fill the bowl to overflowing and get your attention real quick, but, flush you must as the missus has you programmed not to leave an unpleasant odor in the loo. :o

About the time you notice that the gurgling, bubbling noises have ceased it is nearly too late.  The water has reached the underside of the rim and is about to touch you in a way you haven't been touched in a while.  You must instantly jump up off the seat, turn around quickly without falling over while hobbled like a condemned prisoner by your trousers, rip the cover off the top of the toilet and push the stopper down to stop the flow of water.  Anything less than this is likely to bring giant repercussions from the little woman, as you know she will tell all friends and acquaintances about the little incident for years to come.  You may never live to hear the end of it.

Ahhhhhhh, success as the waters stop swirling just before they begin to flow over the top.  Now if you can just get across the room to the Super Power Blaster plunger in your shackled state and back to the toilet, a few seconds to minutes of frantic plunging should take care of the problem with no one being the wiser.

PS:  Don't forget to spray disinfectant on the plunger. :)

Dual flush, triple flush, quadruple flush, heck -- I invented the concept. ;D

MountainDon

You've been watching me!   :o ::) ;D :-/

glenn-k

Hmmm - must be a common trait. :-/