Mexican Smog to Hit California

Started by Sassy, March 19, 2007, 11:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

From the NewsMax.com Staff

Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:18 p.m. EDT

Mexican 'Smog' Soon to Hit

Environmenmentally sensitive Californians may soon be engulfed in mists of smog thanks to the fleets of Mexican trucks that will transiting the state's highways, a new report warns. California has an Air Resources Board which released its report this past Monday, stating that 50 tons of new smog - the equivalent of that produced by 2.2 million cars - will be pouring into California's skies because 17,500 Mexican trucks will be crossing into the Golden State each day under NAFTA's rules.

Today, that number is only 3,500 trucks.

Of the additional 14,000 trucks, a quarter were on the road before 1980, and as many as nine of every 10 were built before 1993, according to the air board report.

"The supplemental emissions generated by the increased truck traffic could impede California's progress toward attaining the federal air quality standards, which could potentially jeopardize billions of dollars in federal transportation funding," the report states. San Diego officials say they may have to impose more stringent local standards to offset the added pollution from Mexican trucks.

for rest of story go to http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/3/18/202900.shtml?s=al&promo_code=2FC7-1

MountainDon

Newsmax has some interesting stuff. And I followed your signature link to the blog, never been there before.  Cool. It would have been interesting for you to be on HGTV, but you made the right decision on following the less visible path, I'm certain. The P&Z nazis would have been hot on your trail.

I thought "The World's Fastest Indian" was a great film. Cool story, tho' the movie somewhat compressed the timeline. Burt Munro was a character.    http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/features/munro/munro.htm    Hmm I think that deserves to be in the hot rod corner.   (shameless plug)

Sassy

My dad had an Indian motorcycle in the 40's - the 1st time he took my mom out on a date he drove up on the Indian with a side-car!  

Sometimes Newsmax will have good articles, but a lot of the time I don't agree with them (5 yrs ago I would have believed everything they said - my political outlook has changed a lot since then :-/

I haven't done much on my blog - so much is on CountryPlans that I feel I'm being redundant - although I guess I could use it as my soapbox on world events etc & stop bothering the CP members on the "off-topic" threads  :-X  

MountainDon

QuoteSometimes Newsmax will have good articles, but a lot of the time I don't agree with them (5 yrs ago I would have believed everything they said - my political outlook has changed a lot since then :-/

I haven't done much on my blog - so much is on CountryPlans that I feel I'm being redundant - although I guess I could use it as my soapbox on world events etc & stop bothering the CP members on the "off-topic" threads  :-X  
You just have to apply a filter (your common sense) to much of their info. But it remains a good place to check up on your perspective.

Don't you dare stop "bothering" us here. I may not respond or agree with everything, but it's grist for the mill.

Sassy

Thanks for the support!  I try to read a lot of different sites - hopefully getting the full picture & the truth.  It is painful to me at times to see the politicoes avoid answering the very real questions that should be answered & just labeling those who question as "conspiracy theorists" - I once was in that group... and also since I have a  Christian worldview, I am disappointed that many of the mainline Christians are blindly following the party line of the far right Republicans - yet will demonize the left & the Democrats - I don't go along with a lot of what the "left" supports, but I also don't agree with a lot of the radical pre-emptive, freedom robbing actions of the other side.  That's why I have Jesus' saying "you will know the truth & the truth will set you free" as my signature.  

I can't imagine living as a politician - several acquaintances have told me I should go into politics or be a lobbyist - I tell them no one would vote for me because I wouldn't be able to tell them what they wanted to hear all the time.  

So, I guess I'll keep posting stuff that hopefully will get people thinking & questioning & searching & standing up for the freedoms this country was founded on.  It's never been perfect & never will be but with the Constitution, I think we had the best thing going - and it does require a certain self-constraint to have a government like that - otherwise, just like what is happening in our country today - forces outside ourselves will be controlling us.  

And, I am always open for correction - if someone wants to dispute what I've posted, please do, I love a good debate & hopefully will learn something from it!  ;)

(I've also studied a lot about Islam so that I can better understand what their beliefs are - sad to say,their dedication to their religion often puts a lot of "Christians" to shame  :-/ - but unless you understand a people's belief system you often don't understand them)