Our Real Jobs

Started by glenn-k, February 22, 2007, 09:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

I have went the diverse route. Started out as a Civil Engineer/Surveyor. Went into material testing. Got out of that and went into electronics. Became an electronics tech. Then went into land development. Now I am a real estate broker in Missouri and Arkansas and own my own company. Who knows what I will go into next.

glenn-k

Looks like we have a bunch of people who get bored easily.  Great. :)

Amanda_931

I sometimes declare that I've done one of everything.  Not really.  And a lot of that was through temporary agencies.

Cleaning fish.

Ward clerk in a locked psychiatric unit (I lasted one whole day there).

Crafts instructor (one of the more unhappy jobs)

Counter person in an auto parts store.

Record store (also book store) person.

Carpenter (apprenticeship program, pickup for a biggish house contractor aka, framing for medicine cabinets in the bathrooms of houses under construction, framing, a bunch of little remodeling jobs)

Not to mention seventeen years, off and on, working in a truck factory.  

That was one of the few places that wasn't afraid of me--I've got enough education to claim I'm a charter member of the useless degree club.  No PhD, though.

glenn-k

Where'd you clean fish, Amanda?  I had to clean them at the U-Catchem pond when I managed that.  Pepele would catch a bucket full of trout then check out - I could do one in about 20 seconds - a slit down the belly and under the tongue/lower jaw - thumb down the center  - twist and grab guts, tongue - gills and two front lower fins - all gone.

Amanda_931

A retail/wholesale fish store.

I worked for them for a while.  Can't remember what all kinds we got to clean.  The catfish came in mostly skinned, though.

They also had me driving the delivery truck (illegally--I didn't have the license to do that!)

It sounds like you had cleaning those trout down to a science.  I don't think I was that good.

glenn-k

The owner who was one of my best friends taught me.  He was previously in communications at Vandenberg AFB - got some bad chemicals there in all likeliness, that gave him leukemia and he died on me.  I met him and his wife  at about 13 years old - ran the trout farm when he went to telephone co. training classes back east and other times also.  He taught me a lot of electronics - relays - circuits etc. and about anything else we did.  He set up electronic warning devices so that when the screens on the water intake plugged a buzzer would go off and we or I would go to the weir and take the leaves and brush out of it during the storms so the fish wouldn't die from lack of water.

He used to tell me I was cutting wood too slow with the chainsaw just to make me go faster.  Later he told others he had never seen anybody cut that much wood that fast.

There was the wife of a deep sea fisherman who lived about a mile away -- she cussed like a logger.  He called her up and asked here if she'd like a goose for thanksgiving dinner.  She said sure.  We threw a couple rocks in a gunny sack - drove into her driveway where he took the sack - called her out and said here's your goose.  Then he took the sack - threw it over her fence into the front yard and shot it with a 12 gauge shotgun.  We then jumped in the truck and took off with her yelling G-- D--- you, Jack.  We had fun.  I was his sidekick. :)

Sassy

Hey, that reminds me... I did some commercial salmon fishing & also worked at Long's Drugs for a few weeks during Christmas holidays.  And I've cleaned a lot of salmon!  Used to freeze & can loads of it - got to where I couldn't stand the smell or taste - I like it again now, once in awhile...

jwv

Most of my life (literally) I've been a Registered Nurse with the backbone of that experience being labor & delivery-want pictures?

http://www.epica-awards.org/assets/epica/2004/finalists/print/images/08006c%20%20%20Birth.jpg  :D

One of the good things about nursing is there are many venues in which to be a nurse and I've tried most of them.

Clinic
University of Phoenix-sales (they call it Enrollment Advisor-but it's sales)
Home care and sales for company providing hi-risk OB home care
Middle manager in hospital (what a joke, but not very funny  [smiley=sad.gif])
Lots of education-both patients and nurses
AZ Cancer Center-in a clinic for women at hi risk for breast and ovarian cancer due to personal or family history (there are some really smart people doing cancer research)
Now I review charts to make sure the hosp gets the proper $
Did some faux painting-my artistic differences got in the way  ::)
We've built 2.9 (at this point) houses, and I think I like that the best!

Judy

benevolance

i did the mystery shopper thing... Did not like it... It was retarded the things they made their employees say...The way they force the employees to ask every customer if they want lotto tickets and cigarettes...

when I was a regular consumer I would tell the cashier off if they tried to sell me cigarettes and lotto.... I would say....Do I look like a chain smoking loser who is addicted to scratch tickets?....Because I got annoyed that I could not buy a newspaper or gasoline without getting solicited for tobacco or lottery...Neither of which I ever ever buy

became a mystery shopper and the employees can get fired if they do not force that crap down your throats....They basically turned the person running the cash register into a telemarketer or bill collector type of person

glenn-k

QuoteMost of my life (literally) I've been a Registered Nurse with the backbone of that experience being labor & delivery-want pictures?

Judy, eggs come from cartons, milk comes from the store, babies come from hospitals.  Can't we just leave it at that?   ;D  No responsibility for me, please.  OK - so I looked. :-?

...and now Peter answers the mystery of why we are hounded at the cash register.

My preconceived concepts are being destroyed by this thread.

benevolance

Glenn

What is wrong with you....Judy was going to post pictures of naked chics and you are turning her down... ;) ;D

Homesick_Gypsy

I worked for my mom as a nurse's aid for several years in her home for handicapped children.  Working for my mom meant I did a lot more than the average nurse's aid.  She and I worked alone one summer with sixteen children (the summer I was 12).  I also sold jewelry part time for Sarah Coventry and sold real estate part time for Century 21 and Remax.  Worked Hobby Lobby for Christmas money.  Worked for Sears as a mail clerk and worked at a couple of day care centers as a cook when my girls were little.  Tried working out of the legal field once and worked about a month for a real estate developer who was a legend in his own mind.  Went back to lawyers.  Have worked a little as a paralegal, but too much work for no overtime, and hated to account for my life six minutes at a time.  

I also make homemade soap and have always wanted to turn it into a small business when I can retire.  Travel to music festivals, Ren faires, etc.  Good way to write off part of my travel expenses and be able to do what I want.

I've OFTEN thought of adding items to the soap line and "retiring" now.  How about another thread of what we'd LIKE our real jobs to be?   ;)

glenn-k

Not a problem, Gypsy.  Let me see if I can come up with some clever motivating title.

It seems we have a very diverse but nearly always busy little group here.  I found a cool test last night I may post.

glenn-k

QuoteIt's not the bullets this time of year...it's the kites ya gotta watch out for:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6233461.stm

And I wouldn't drink the water after what I've been reading.... :o

You got that right - these guys really get serious about Kite Flying.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/26/world/main2514554.shtml

benevolance

I readthat links on the kite flying over there...and it is some kind of competition and you do anything to have your kite kill someone elses...

Common sense goes out the window when you use razor wire or whatever to fly the kite....What the hell are these idiots thinking?

hmmmm steel wires attached to the kite...Power lines...I am standing on the ground both feet planted........I wonder if I am about to die and cause city wide blackouts....

I was shocked to read that people would fly any kind of kite near a power line let alone a kite with a steel cable... :o

Maybe that is god's way of saying natural selection exists....