Wind Power in India

Started by Sassy, September 30, 2006, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Interesting article on how India is trying to cut down on fossil fuels by using the wind...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/28/business/worldbusiness/28wind.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

benevolance

Sassy

It is encouraging to see China and India use some hydroelectric, solar and wind power to ease their reliance on oil and to reduce carbon emissions...

I would feel better if there were tighter restrictions on their smoke stacks from the massive amount of coal fired Power generation plants they use.

Would also be nice to see them preach conservation....Although they do have efficient small automobiles over there...Everything gives 40-50 miles to the gallon...

Sassy

I work with several east Indian doctors & nurses - they are pretty fascinated with how we are building our cabin... when I 1st talked about cob, I figured they might be familiar with it - but they told me everything was built with cement over there.

Then you have New Delhi  :o - there was another article about the pollution in the Yamuna River & the water crisis in India... millions of gallons of raw sewage pour into the river everyday - I can't find the article, but will post the link if I can find it.  China has a lot of the same problems - poor infrastructure with a very dense, growing population in many areas.  

benevolance

Well treating the sewage solves 2 problems...It allows it to be turned back into potable water...Which adds to the amount of water available for irrigation and drinking...and it does not destroy or contaminate what clean drinking irrigation water there is...

Just treating and re-using all of their waste water would solve most of the water dilemmas in Asia

Amanda_931

Solve the problems for people who can treat and sell as the only certified potable water available, maybe.

Sassy

The problem with New Delhi is that there are so many people, the water system is so antiquated & there are major areas in the city that don't have water for drinking or any type of sewage system.  The water pressure is so bad where there is water piped in that individual homes tap into the line & put a pressure booster on it to get better water pressure which equals more leaky pipes & worse pressure  :-/ ...

The places that have no sewage disposal systems just have streams of sewage running down the sides of the dirt streets which then end up in the river.  I think the article said there are 2.5 million children that die every year in India.  When you have that huge of a task before you... hey, we haven't even been able to clean up New Orleans after Katrina!

Anyway, not a pretty picture... I still haven't found the link...