Internets Father?  Not quite but...

Started by glenn-k, September 20, 2006, 12:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Gore said he created the internet -a bit of an exaggeration , but some say he deserves at least some credit for making it what it is today.

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/199903/msg00053.html

Kind of like me saying I've built hundreds of steel buildings -- OK -- so I built much of lots of them and critical parts of many of the others.  I suppose if I went into politics they would hold that statement over me. :-/

jraabe

Gore may be a bit of a geek and a technocrat but he is likely to go down in history as having made several substantial contributions to the development of both world communications and global awareness...

I think it safe to say his place in history will outshine many of the current players on the stage.

peg_688

Albert  Gore Jr. is a career politician, from a career politician family. He is at best a opportunist ready to claim just about any thing "considered " good ,at worst a bald faced lier claiming the same inventions / solutions as "His brainstorm / idea."

As  far as history goes he'll be as forgotten as most VP's who run and lose the Presidential election, he'll be a blip on the historical record as Bill Clinton's VP .

Just my opinion , which doesn't mean spit ::)        

glenn-k

At least we know where you stand, PEG. ;D

These guys don't mean anything to me - either side , but I thought it was a bit interesting to see where he was coming from.

See, PEG -- you were right -- at least your vote helped elect a guy who did something constructive.  ;D

benevolance

The thing with Gore was that he was mostly right... He could have been the most important person in the development of the internet...But his opponents needed something to try and make him look like a buffoon...So they pounced on this..

Gore was not a mudslinger and it cost him the presidency...Well the cooked counting was the final nail in the coffin courtesy of Florida....But Gore Lost Tennessee which was his home state....How that ever happened has yet to be explained.

They did the same thing to Kerry...Right or wrong he went to Veitnam unlike Bush who got a cushy job at home...And mysteriously his service record disappeared and has since been sealed... Republicans attacked Kerry trying to make him look weak they used imagery that would have people believe that being liberal was the same thing as being communist...

They tried to make Kerry look unpatriotic despite the guy earning 2 purple hearts!

Kerry never slung the mud back and it cost him too....It was almost too easy to point out that Bush was an idiot that can barely read....That caused thousands of needless deaths when he invaded Iraq..NO wmd, no Nukes...No al Quieda links tied to Saddam...But he went anyways... Kerry could have attacked, but he did not...

Gore has since gone onto spend his time and efforts collecting research for environmental issues...He is not running for office anytime soon....So the opportunistic angle from this debate should be removed. His documentaries have not propelled him the the presidency nor has he expected them to...

Jimmy Carter has spent the last 30 years serving the whole world. He has tirelessly worked to promote human rights, democracy...Overseeing elections and helping developing countries draft bill's of rights.... He never tried to run for president ever again. He might be single greatest living American...Gore might not live upto that standard....But why can't you just let the guy try to be a good American?

Bill Clinton has worked extensively for medical research in Africa...And to combat aids worldwide...Bush's father worked with Clinton to help raise funds for Katrina Victims...Sometimes these guys actually do good things without expecting rewards.

Peg  Sometimes people are genuine...And do things other than to win the presidency so their buddies can win contracts to rebuild Iraq (see Bush, George W.)....

Gore would make a decent president...If only because he would be someone that would try to make sure the young men and women stayed home instead of invading poor defenseless countries....That time effort and money would likely be spent on cleaning up the environment and building new infrastructures for developing energy technologies.

peg_688

h

#1:   The thing with Gore was that he was mostly right... He could have been the most important person in the development of the internet...But his opponents needed something to try and make him look like a buffoon...So they pounced on this..

#2: Gore was not a mudslinger and it cost him the presidency...Well the cooked counting was the final nail in the coffin courtesy of Florida....But Gore Lost Tennessee which was his home state....How that ever happened has yet to be explained.

#3:They did the same thing to Kerry...Right or wrong he went to Veitnam unlike Bush who got a cushy job at home...And mysteriously his service record disappeared and has since been sealed... Republicans attacked Kerry trying to make him look weak they used imagery that would have people believe that being liberal was the same thing as being communist...

#4:They tried to make Kerry look unpatriotic despite the guy earning 2 purple hearts!

#5: Kerry never slung the mud back and it cost him too....It was almost too easy to point out that Bush was an idiot that can barely read....That caused thousands of needless deaths when he invaded Iraq..NO wmd, no Nukes...No al Quieda links tied to Saddam...But he went anyways... Kerry could have attacked, but he did not...

#6:Gore has since gone onto spend his time and efforts collecting research for environmental issues...He is not running for office anytime soon....So the opportunistic angle from this debate should be removed. His documentaries have not propelled him the the presidency nor has he expected them to...

#6: Jimmy Carter has spent the last 30 years serving the whole world. He has tirelessly worked to promote human rights, democracy...Overseeing elections and helping developing countries draft bill's of rights.... He never tried to run for president ever again. He might be single greatest living American...Gore might not live upto that standard....But why can't you just let the guy try to be a good American?

#7: Bill Clinton has worked extensively for medical research in Africa...And to combat aids worldwide...Bush's father worked with Clinton to help raise funds for Katrina Victims...Sometimes these guys actually do good things without expecting rewards.

#8: Peg  Sometimes people are genuine...And do things other than to win the presidency so their buddies can win contracts to rebuild Iraq (see Bush, George W.)....

#9: Gore would make a decent president...If only because he would be someone that would try to make sure the young men and women stayed home instead of invading poor defenseless countries....That time effort and money would likely be spent on cleaning up the environment and building new infrastructures for developing energy technologies.

Peter one thing you are , is long winded,

#1: So you believe without Al Bill Gates and Paul Allen never would have got er do Eh?

#2: Could it be the people in his state knew him for what he was / is? And didn't vote for him  ::)

#3:  You mean it's not :o

#4:  Those K-rat cans really leave a nasty cut ;D Kerry got some ah , questionable P-Hts. but ya he gotum.

#5: Ya to bad he voted as a Senator to send those troops in. Should have stood taller wiser durning that vote , then he could have used that. Oh well next time they vote he can change that ,EH!

#6: Jimmy a good man , he was a lousey President , IMO , which I used to think I was intilted to as a US citizen , but round these here parts that doesn't seem to be quite  ah , so :(

#7: So you think Bill isn't workin on that Noble peace prize / legacy? Bill is all about Bill well unless a skirt is involved  ;) And what about that health care deal he worked on so hard for what was it TWO WEEKS , the Hardest he'd ever worked in his life , She- it, dang , gosh durn , he never had a private sector job in his adult life , thats why a couple of weeks of 9 ta 5 seemed "hard". Again just MO , again not worth spit round this here section of the brd.

#8: Ya right politcians you can trust,(From either side)

I really like this guy  ;) The laughing guy Peter ::)  Ok you to  ;D

#9: He could run agian , you could vote for him , that would be nice .As far as what he would do , that remains to be seen , so I'd say those things you mentioned would be your opinion of what you'd like him to do. They are not facts so I wouldn't state them as such , of cousre your free to do as you please.

BTW When I voted yesterday in our state primary I only voted for one person who was / is a incumbent , when I vote in the next election she will be the only incumbent I will vote for as well. New people need to give this stuff a shot. If we keep reelecting the same old back tracking dogs , why should we expect them to track true , if you know any thing about hounds there is but one cure for a back tracker , it involves a well placed bullet in the head , only known cure  :oWorks every time .

Two men I'd like to see given serious consideration for President are Allen  Keyes and Colin Powell , I don't even know what party they are in , Has Powell ever said ?  :-? Very unlikely either will run ,  even more unlikely they'd be elected if they did run . But IMO they both could do some good things if elected.

Have a great day , to all of you :-* ;D

Sassy

I'd vote for Ron Paul & possibly Allan Keyes...

jraabe

Question:

Could America elect a president who was intelligent and far sighted, and how would such a person make it through the party vetting process?

Sassy

Very good question, John... by the time a person makes it that far up the line, he/she's greased a lot of hands & owes a lot of favors... read history of Halliburton/KBR & Lyndon Baines Johnson & their group that used to meet in a hotel in Texas, I think.  That was you scratch my back & I will scratch your back, all the way up the line...  :-/

Which, I would assume, happens with most leaders, otherwise they wouldn't be where they're at, they have to make too many compromises.

From the writings of Ron Paul, he has spoken out on a lot of things - like 9/11, the Security & Prosperity Agreement, etc.  He comes from the same world view as I to, so I tend to agree with what he says.  Alan Keyes, I've heard him speak - when he speaks on Christian things, he's makes a lot of sense, but I am not that familiar with his politics.  

I still try to keep some hope for our country  :), But Glenn tends to think that the voting process has become so corrupt that it will not make a whole lot of difference...  :'( I will keep voting as that is the process that our founding fathers set up & I'm not ready to totally give up.  

Many would like to see a global world - Al Gore supports that, a lot of people on the "left" (whatever that means  :-/) support it - I think because they see a world of free trade, everyone a community etc.  The far right (whatever that means  :-/) seems to want it for the corporate gain of controlling markets throughout the world in partnership with the international bankers...

The "far right Christian conservative" ... hmmm, sometimes I wonder what in the world they are thinking & seeing  :o :-/ - just trying to look at the world through rose colored glasses... because I see most of our leaders "playing to Rome" just like the Jewish leaders did... The Talmud, the written laws & teachings of oral traditions that have been compiled, have some very interesting, shocking & "ungodly" rules & laws in it.  If anyone has read the Bible, they know what Jesus had to say about the pharasees & scribes - he didn't have ANYTHING good to say about them...

So, back to Gore & other leaders... yes, many of them have done good & great things, but look behind the scenes, look at the history (when you can find the true history), look at the ulterior motives... even our "foundations", like the Carnagie, Ford, Bill & Susan Gates, Rockefeller foundations... that's a great way to have a huge tax shelter & look good at the same time.  It's not to say they don't do good things, but Rockefeller wrote in his most recent book that he was for the new world order.  So what is the definition of the NWO?
If it is indeed, that the idealists like to think, wonderful... but I doubt it... CountryPlans is one of the few communities that can actually get along!   8-)

benevolance

I could never vote for Powell...The guy  was rather spineless... I would vote for Obama.... Not a huge Hillary fan...But I see scary people shimmying up the line for a shot to run like Rudi Guliani...and Rumsfield...Both are less than worthless.

Condi Rice is horrid...She is more of a fanatic than Bush :o...Cheney is actually a pretty smart man...Shady and corrupt...(most politicians are)...At least cheney has  the brains and work eithic....Bush would be even more of a bumbling idiot without him.

Kerry's mistake was not taking a chance...He needed to go out on the limb and stand up against bush...And he did not and he paid the ultimate price for it. He has been a decent senator, and has served his country for a long time... I do not think he would make a bad president. I always laughed at the notion that Kerry got giftwrapped Purple Hearts....Bush went AWOL...Did not have to go to Nam...Got himself declared unfit to fly and returned to the Ranch to wait until his service time was over...

Kerry went to Veitnam, faced live fire held a gun....Like him or hate him put his life on the line...Maybe there were more courageous people fighting over there...And maybe other people did more to earn their purple Hearts???? But to suggest that Kerry was unpatriotic....Is ridiculous...

As for Jimmy Carter....The guy was stuck in between a rock and a hard place...The opec oil crisis went on and there were oil embargoes because of Israels presence in the middle east (they got bombs and planes to slaughter the palestinians from the Americans)

And then there was the standoff in Iran where they overtook the US embassy. America is a flag waving nation where the average guy has to believe that we can kick anyone's azz...Plain and simple...When there was not a quick immediate and overpowering show of force in Iran Carter was done...The oil crisis was not really his fault...And there was not much he could do about it...Although it sent his approval into the toilet...And at the time America believed that Carter should have been able to do something about opec.

Had Opec shut the oil taps off 6 months before the last election Bush would be on the outside looking in...Simple as that....America needs Oil...lots of oil

As for Bill Clinton...The Guy had sex with a willing young woman...I do not plan on cheating on my wife....But it happens! People forget that Clinton balanced the books for 8 YEARS! and the Economy grew under him. Bush has had record deficits each and every year. Clinton had the sense to stay the hell out of Iraq.... They sent a message that they could destroy the country if neded when they bombed for a couple of days...And they upheld the UN embargo on Iraq and maintained the no fly zone... All of which was effective and did what it was supposed to do..Prevent the Military in Iraq from becomming a threat.

We saw in the invasion of Iraq three years ago that there was little resistence, rudimentary weapons and most importantly...No WMD....Under clinton UN weapons inspectors had worked in Iraq to dismantle and destory chemical weapons and weapon making facilities.... Usually all of america gets screwed over by the president...With Clinton it was just Monica Lewinsky getting screwed....I would vote for him as president again in a heartbeat.

glenn-k

From the "Does your vote make a difference department"

I realize this may be a one side against the other issue however the issues are real and take no imagination to be possible if you know anything about computers.  I put this here for those who care - personally, I don't feel it makes a difference either way in the overall scheme.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/11717105/robert_f_kennedy_jr__will_the_next_election_be_hacked/1

Amanda_931

Can't remember who said something on the order of "will the next election be stolen as well?  Maybe, especially if it's close.  But make them steal it, don't just roll over and play dead."

glenn-k

QuoteCan't remember who said something on the order of "will the next election be stolen as well?  Maybe, especially if it's close.  But make them steal it, don't just roll over and play dead."

Seems that is what the ones are doing who go and use their voting machines instead of refusing to put up with them.  With a machine set to exceed an opponents vote by so many percent it will never get close enough to make a difference.

Amanda_931

Except that definitely illegal--and seriously protested--things like vote theft have been known to get themselves publicised quite viciously.   Pentagon papers, Watergate and the like.

glenn-k

That's whats kind of funny this time -- the tampered with machines have been predicted,  reported and publicized albeit low key, but not too many people seem to care and are fairly apathetic about it.  Like it's business as usual.  It's like - "Well --- at least I got to vote."  
Like - I did my part even if they are stealing it.  

That's their plan -- the elite know we don't care so they do as they wish -- lies or theft--- because we have come to expect it and been programmed not to care.

Amanda_931

But if half or fewer of us actually vote.....

I hear all the time--there's no point in voting, everybody knows it's rigged.  Or--my guy didn't win, why bother.

For those people to realize that some people are putting their lives or reputations on the line to ensure the right to vote....

glenn-k

Somewhere down the line that probably all fits in there.  It just doesn't seem that the corporate business , oil and power wars we are fighting now have anything to do with insuring the right to vote.  We can't even protect our own borders from illegal aliens but our children can go and die so Haliburton can rake in billions of dollars in profits for their (Cheney's) corporation.

It just seems like our way of life and the right to vote would be better served if we were defending our country from attack rather than going out and actively creating terrorists - but that passive activity would not get money to the large corporations who actively grease the wheels of the war machine and some say we need war to keep it operating. Use it or lose it.  We need terrorists to keep the people motivated into agreeing with spending the money and keeping the Fed "protecting us".

Overall --in the end -- the lives and limbs of our kids keep the oil flowing.  Eventually that's the way it is -- no matter who gets the vote.

peg_688

Well back to your /our guy Al , I got this email today , thought it was funny , no I did not check it out, it is a joke ,  I Think ::)

:  Aviation History Lesson
>  
> Here's some Aviation History everyone should know:
>  
> You may remember that on July 8, 1947, witnesses claim an unidentified
> object
> with five aliens aboard crashed on a sheep-cattle ranch just outside
> Roswell, New Mexico.
> This is a well known incident that many say has been profusely covered up
by
> the Air Force and the U. S. government.
>
> However.......what you may NOT know is that on March 31, 1948, exactly
nine
> months after that historic day,
> Al Gore was born.

Note  it has "cover up by USAF and US govt. " Just that gives it some creedence, right  ;D

benevolance

peg that was actually kind of funny....

It sort of makes sense though....You would have to think that someone was from another planet to actually want to do some good for the american people instead of make yourself and all your friends ridicously rich....As per the war machine oil industry has done currently in american politics.

Amanda_931

I passed it along as one is a series of truly dreadful little bits, with a note that I wasn't sure how to take it--as "Eeeuuuu--an Alien" or "they tried to save our world."