Favorite quote

Started by pioneergal, September 13, 2006, 07:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

I wasn't sure where to post this thread so....... Admin if this needs to be placed in another area please do so.

DH and I have been working on the interior of the home that we are building doing odds and ends till the $$$ starts flowing once again our way.

Yesterday as we working I started writing scripture text ,verses, quotes, and humerous sayings on the framework through out the structure.
It was fun and took the stress out of the work that seems to come to no end.

We did this at each corner of the foundation when we first began this project and want to continue with your help.

I thought that it would be a great way for each of you to be a part of our home.
So, when possible I would like for everyone to post their favorite(s) and I will transfer them with your name besidee quote.

I'm looking forward to reading your post!

benevolance

Here is a long favourite of mine:

"The best thing you can do with a good book is to read it again!" -George Hallet

He was a very impressive old College Professor I had...Mind like a trap...It was unreal...I never forgot how passionate he truly was about books...Most old english professors want to blather on....But no matter the subject of the day or what questions we asked he would start talking about a great book on the subject and start quoting it...Explaining why it was essential and genius...

Later told me that true discovery was a lifetime achievement...That he went back and read many books years later to re-discover their genius and to pick up things he missed the first time around.

I was very impressed that this guy with a mind you would not believe admitted to reading things over and over...I asked him about it...And he simply replied...The sense of newness and truth in the Bible or in Shakespeare will never diminish no matter how many times we read it.

One of the reasons I have books I always travel with...I read them over and over, and I enjoy them more each time I read them.

Sassy

Pioneer Gal, I'm going to have to think on this one for awhile, there are so many I like!  

I really like your story, Benevolance & quote.  I always have several books going at once, never go anywhere without at least one or 2, have read many 2-3 times - one in particular Prince of Peace by James Carroll - excellent (about the Vietnam War).  
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

CREATIVE1

What a great idea!  Here's my contribution.

Time flies
Suns rise
And shadows fall
Let time go by
Love is
forever over all

(from an old sundial)

Sassy

I have so many...  :) here's a couple, don't know who the authors are...

"May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, enough hope to make you happy."

"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way."

and of course " You will know the truth & the truth will set you free" from the Bible...

Amanda_931

QuoteCome, Come whoever you are, wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. Our's is not a caravan of despair. Come even if you have broken your vows a thousand times, Come, come yet again.

It's by Rumi.  And considered a major teaching in at least one Sufi sect.  When I just ran a search, I also found a sermon on tolerance using it.  It's officially Rumi's birthday.  I was glad to see this in the Free encyclopedia article--never been able to find it, although the one time I did it made a big impression on me.

CREATIVE1

Great stuff!  Here's another, short and sweet:

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST

Amanda_931

I've always liked that one, too.  And one can reconcile that teaching with having a home.  Put it at the front gate to remind those going wandering that they can come home?

I was going to put in the Free dictionary link--birthday-ness is not mentioned here that I can see.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Jalal%20al-Din%20Muhammad%20Rumi

Sassy

Amanda, I don't think I had ever heard of Rumi until you posted your quote - then tonight I was reading a quote & it was Rumi!  Here's the one I read...

Whenever a feeling of aversion comes into the heart of a good soul,
it's not without significance.
Consider that intuitive wisdom to be a Divine attribute,
not a vain suspicion:
the light of the heart has apprehended
intuitively from the Universal Tablet.
- Rumi

Amanda_931

Hmmm.  I've been reading (browsing, off and on for years) Gavin De Becker's Gift of Fear.  That's what he says over and over and over.  Pay attention to your intuition.  Mentioning one of the Unabomber bombs had all the characteristics of a bomb and the people (to whom it was not addressed) opened it anyway.  And giving names (i.e., concrete expression or naming magic in our word-bound society) to all the signs that sometimes make us nervous when we meet someone.

And Rumi said it centuries ago.

He's pretty wonderful.  There are a couple of nice anthologies of his work around. In none of the ones I looked at could I find the idea that ours is not a caravan of despair.

Amanda_931

someone on a list was using this bit from Whitman as a signature.

QuoteThere is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country - if the people lose their confidence in themselves - and lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.
- Walt Whitman

The source seems to be a 1928 book about Whitman--still possibly apocryphal, certainly glamorizing the frontier mentality, which may not be bad.

http://www.thespeechsite.com/quotes/whitman-q.htm

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Here are a couple from my refrigerator:

On fooling ourselves: "Reality is whatever refuses to go away when I stop believing in it." Phillip K. Dick

On egos and learning: "Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem."
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Amanda_931

I like both of those.

and both can refer to process of building--learning to build, learning what is going to last.

CREATIVE1

From Gibran's The Prophet , an excerpt from "Speak to Us of Houses"

But you, children of space, you restless in rest, you shall not be trapped nor tamed.
Your house shall be not an anchor but a mast.
It shall not be a glistening film that covers a wound, but an eyelid that guards the eye.
You shall not fold your wings that you may pass through doors, nor bend your heads that they strike not against a ceiling, nor fear to breathe lest walls should crack and fall down.
You shall not dwell in tombs made by the dead for the living.
And though of magnificence and splendour, your house shall not hold your secret nor shelter your longing.
For that which is boundless in you abides in the mansion of the sky, whose door is the morning mist, and whose windows are the songs and the silences of night.

CREATIVE1

Here's another goodie.  Truly wish I could totally follow this advice.

Happiness Is A Journey...

-- Father Alfred D'Souza

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
Dance as though no one is watching you.
Love as though you have never been hurt before.
Sing as though no one can hear you.
Live as though heaven is on earth.

Sassy

That's a good one to think about when you are feeling rushed or looking at unfinished "stuff"... sometimes you just get so overwhelmed with all the "stuff" you need to do... we just took this past weekend off & went exploring... and we were met with lots of wonderful surprises  :) ...

harry51

Here's one that has passed the test of time:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." -- Plato, Greek Philosopher (427-347 BCE)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Deana

Here's my favorite quote:

"Never be afraid to try something new... an Amature built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic."

Author unknown (to me)